Joe Bonamassa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Bonamassa!

Saw Joe Bonamassa last night in concert. Quite a line up of guitars: a couple amber LP Stds, a Bigsby-equipped LP, a '58 Korina V, red 339, white SG, Firebird I, a natural finish hollowbody (Venetian cutaway), a black PRS, and a couple of acoustics. I've seen independent music stores with fewer guitars. It was the best live show I've ever seen. Started off with Joe by himself on acoustic for a half dozen songs, accompanied by conga drums on several of them. Then the rest of the band joined in and kicked things into gear. Joe's all about dynamics in his playing, singing, song arrangements, and lighting; things were constantly changing: loud, soft, fast, slow, bright, dark. A number of his solos were when the rest of the band brought their volumes down. The band was extremely tight, and Joe's playing was incredibly fast and flawless. There were dozens of colored lights precisely synchronzied to the many changes in the songs, which was a great effect. Very dramatic. 100% professional and first class. I've never seen a band put this much effort into a show. 4 guys in the band (guitar, bass, keys, and drums) and 17 support staff. Joe himself was very appreciative and humble. Really nice guy. Highly recommended.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Re: Joe Bonamassa!

Cool, saw him earlier this year and it was an awesome show. Not sure if he bought it or borrowed it but he was using Bernie Marsden's old '59 LP and Bernie was there playing on a couple of numbers using his Faded Denim PRS ME. I felt a little sorry for Bernie because he looked out of sorts and almost embarrassed because Joe was absolutely on fire. It was a fantastic night and Joe came across as very appreciative and humble.

Edit. He did a nice little medley that included some SG twin neck playing with him and the drummer doing a few nice little answer backs. And a stand out moment for me was his acoustic playing, simply stunning!
    Last edited by d1dsj; 12-16-2012, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I think Joe is a great performer...I personally think he puts out too many albums but that's just my opinion.

Not to nerd out all the way but the V is a reissue.

The 339...you sure it wasn't a 355?

The PRS, that almost had to be one of his EBMM Dark Lord guitars, no?

Also worth mentioning the LP's were likely vintage Burtst...he owns 2 569's and one amazingly clean 1960 with a factory Bigsby of course he has loads of Historic/VOS reissues and a few of them have even been to Historic Makeover and look very real.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
        I think Joe is a great performer... the V is a reissue.

The 339...you sure it wasn't a 355?
        Right, I know the V isn't vintage, just '58 style, which I think is much classier than the '67's. I'm thinking 339, as it didn't look all that big, unless Joe is pretty tall.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          Right, I know the V isn't vintage, just '58 style, which I think is much classier than the '67's. I'm thinking 339, as it didn't look all that big, unless Joe is pretty tall.
          He's fairly tall plus he wears it well...I only say that because I've never seen him with a 339 but he does have a few vintage 335, a nice 345 as well as a 355 that I know he tours with.

The V is one of 2 82/83 Heritage reissues...solid Limba and Shaw pickups.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I've wanted to see him live for awhile now. I really have to go when he comes to Chicago.

Comment

I keep missing him when he comes to Toronto.

I gotta go next time he's here!!!

Comment

My wife shot these pictures in 2011: http://www.ootb646.com/national_phot...assa31811.html

......and these in 2012: http://www.ootb646.com/national_phot...-20121110.html
                Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

I'd almost forgotten that I'd burned you a copy of Driving Toward the Daylight. I need to pull that CD out again and listen to it for a few weeks. I have to admit, I almost find myself listening to the Black Country Communion CD's more.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Bonamassa and his band are SUPER tight! I was also blown away by the dynamics of the whole thing and how well synced up it all was. One of the best shows that I've ever witnessed.
                    -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                    I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Working...
                    X