Gibson Midtown - humbuckers vs P90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Midtown - humbuckers vs P90s

I've been gassing for a new guitar, and had been leaning toward a second Flying V with all the sales on right now. But after watching Greg Koch smoke a Gibson Midtown on Youtube it just about has me sold on my first hollowbody. But - i'm not sure whether to shoot for a P90 or humbucker version, nor do I have a local music store where I can just try 'em out.

My playing range is generalist rock, roots, rockabilly and surf. Brian Setzer, Danny Gatton, Hendrix and Dick Dale are main influences - that said i'm not trying to replicate their tone or gear choices (I already have five other electrics with which I can do so). I don't mind blues but i'm not a straight blues player either, nor looking for a straight blues tone - problem being most 'review' videos demonstrate slow blues playing... which kills most review videos dead in the water for me.

So anyway - I can't pick. Midtown humbucker version vs P90 - which would you opt for?

Re: Gibson Midtown - humbuckers vs P90s

I don't want to be the one to tell you what to do since it's your money, but given the gear you have, I'd go with the humbuckers. You already have a P90 guitar, but I don't see anything that could constitute as a real roots guitar.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I would say P90s for the styles you list, but you have those styles covered with your current gear. I don't know what pup(s) are in the Jackson, but buckers in a Midtown would give you a different flavor.

Humbuckers.

Comment

OK, so I'll buck the crowd.

No question in my mind....I'd definitely go with P-90s in the Midtown. Such a great tone in that guitar and such fun to play. And P-90s are really soooo versatile.

Absolutely my #1 choice.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

P90's for sure. They sound better and look better to me. I wish all Gibson models came with them as an option.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

+1.

Comment

P90's. Especially in the pelham blue one. A dude in the forum (can't recall who) got such a Midtown and it's frikken' gorgeous.

Comment

When all is said and done, when it comes right down to it, you just can't do much better than P-90s.

Comment

Working...
                X