Brian May signature guitar trem arm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian May signature guitar trem arm question

OK, so I decided to take a chance on one of these guitars after fearing that the neck might be thick like a 50s LP. Several forumites said the neck was like a baseball bat, others said it felt more like a slim neck. I'm not sure if it is thicker than I'm used to (I haven't measured it, but I like slim taper 60s necks), but it's definitely wider. But that's not a bad thing. It actually feels very good, even in my little hands with short stubby fingers.

Did I just say it feels "very good"?! Sorry, my mistake.

...................it feels wonderful!!!

I'm not going to get into a review of it just yet, that's not the purpose of this thread. Plus I need more time to play it and get used to what it can or can't do. I got the gold model and it looks awesome.

But the thing is.....there is nothing to hold the trem arm in, if I lean forward it just falls out. Usually there is some "O" ring or something in there to hold the arm in place on every trem guitar that I have ever owned or played. What's up with this?!

Anyone own or have played a Brian May guitar? Have you noticed a prob with the trem arm not staying in place? Any easy solution?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Brian May signature guitar trem arm question

You may want to take the teen out- you may find a spring in the sleeve the arm fits in to that may need to be bent for more tension

Comment

Re: Brian May signature guitar trem arm question

Are you talking about slop in the arm or are you saying you want to be able to put the arm in one place and have it stay on it's own?
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
        Are you talking about slop in the arm or are you saying you want to be able to put the arm in one place and have it stay on it's own?
        It's not just "slop". There is absolutely no tension on the arm at all...nothing to even hold it in. If I lean forward it will literally fall out without even touching it.

I don't necessarily want to be able to position the arm and have it stay where I put it, I do at least want it to stay in the trem, however.

I don't have very many guitars with trems (4 or 5), but they all have some type of retaining mechanism. This one has nothing.

Comment

Is the arm threaded?
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            OK, so I decided to take a chance on one of these guitars after fearing that the neck might be thick like a 50s LP. Several forumites said the neck was like a baseball bat, others said it felt more like a slim neck. I'm not sure if it is thicker than I'm used to (I haven't measured it, but I like slim taper 60s necks), but it's definitely wider. But that's not a bad thing. It actually feels very good, even in my little hands with short stubby fingers.

I've told you, Doc!!!.
            Wider more than Thick and really comfortable and speedy.

I'm not going to get into a review of it just yet, that's not the purpose of this thread. Plus I need more time to play it and get used to what it can or can't do. I got the gold model and it looks awesome.

But the thing is.....there is nothing to hold the trem arm in, if I lean forward it just falls out. Usually there is some "O" ring or something in there to hold the arm in place on every trem guitar that I have ever owned or played. What's up with this?!

Anyone own or have played a Brian May guitar? Have you noticed a prob with the trem arm not staying in place? Any easy solution?
            I don't remember the details but, that was the part that I've hated about the Red Special: the tremolo but, I don't remember it falling to floor, as you are mentioning.
            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Did not know it had a mechanical amplitude device installed

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Gold one eh? You gotta dress up like Elvis when you play it. Looking forward to your review.

So you got the newest one with the Wilkinson WVP? If yes, you see the little hole in the block where the trem arm pops in? There's your grub screw to adjust the arm tension.

This is a 5+1 trem but the essential design is the same, showing how the arm is adjusted.

Yeah, not the best spot for it (PRS is way better, on the baseplate behind the arm on top of the guitar), but now you know where it is.
                Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM.
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  Is the arm threaded?
                  No. Smooth as a baby's behind.

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
                  I've told you, Doc!!!.
                  Wider more than Thick and really comfortable and speedy.
                  Yes, you were right. It is VERY comfy to play. It doesn't feel big, it just feels like finally I have enough room for my fat little finger tips on the board betweem strings without muting adjacent strings accidently.

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                  Gold one eh? You gotta dress up like Elvis when you play it. Looking forward to your review.

So you got the newest one with the Wilkinson WVP? If yes, you see the little hole in the block where the trem arm pops in? There's your grub screw to adjust the arm tension.

This is a 5+1 trem but the essential design is the same, showing how the arm is adjusted.

Yeah, not the best spot for it (PRS is way better, on the baseplate behind the arm on top of the guitar), but now you know where it is.
                  Oh man! Thanks a lot for those diagrams. That explains everything. I never would have found that tension screw without this. I am eternally endebted to you my friend, and I promise never to make any snide remarks about any of your posts. (I guess I'm known for not being very patient with "stupid" posts).

Thanks again to all of you...for your help and even just for your interest in my plight.

Comment

Actually, that adjustment/tension screw was easy to get to just by`pushing the trem forward.

It did the trick. The arm will now stay put where I want it. It's very easy to adjust.

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                    Gold one eh? You gotta dress up like Elvis when you play it.
                    Or Elton John. Or Liberace. Ooops...not guitar players though.

Comment

I don't think you ever made any snide remarks about my posts. Besides, if I can't think of anything clever/helpful to say, I don't say it .

Anyway, no problem, Master Yoda – we can't have you endure a spoiled Christmas because your trem arm is flopping about, and falling out of the guitar when you lean forward. It upsets the karmic flows of cosmic energy.

They should really come with instructions showing where everything is, especially in places that are hidden if you don't know where to look.
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

+1 to that. Thanks again.

Comment

It's probably like a G&L Dual Fulcrum vibrato, in that there is a set screw somewhere that tightens a collar to control the arm's play.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X