Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My love/hate relationship with the strat

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Getting rid of the two tone knob setup on a Strat eliminates some of the best tones, and takes a lot of the function away from the switch. I'd gladly eliminate the volume before doing that.
    Yep, I almost always have the two tone knobs set differently. In some guitars I even have different cap values for each knob (I like 22nF for bridge and 47nF for neck)

Don't think I could ever get rid of the volume though. I'm always fiddling with it.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Does it have the stock knobs? The only time I remember having any issues with a strat was on a guitar that had brass knobs on it. Maybe you just need to find lower profile knobs. If not, I'd hella go to a V/T setup.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
        Yep, I almost always have the two tone knobs set differently. In some guitars I even have different cap values for each knob (I like 22nF for bridge and 47nF for neck)

Don't think I could ever get rid of the volume though. I'm always fiddling with it.
        I wouldn't want to get rid of the volume either. But if I only had two holes to use, I'd rather have two tones and no volume than V/T. Not being able to use the switch to change between both tone pots, or no tone pot at all on the bridge, would take away a lot from how I like to set Strats.

How I would probably go about this if the volume knob bothered me would be to use two concentric pots. That's four pots in two holes. You could go V/T/T/T, or master volume, tone, tone, and bridge volume, which could be used to give you "bridge on" in any position.

I'm modifying a Strat right now. It has two holes in the pickguard, and each of those is getting a concentric pot. Then I am putting a third hole over by the neck pickup, kind of like some old Gretsches did. Master volume will go in the forward spot, and the other four controls will be T/T/T and bridge volume.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I also find the strat vol knob to interfere some times, depends on what I'm playing. But instead of re-wiring a strat I've spent a little quality time with the new PRS Studio. Wowsers! Outstanding tones, very easy player, exceptional quality, nice range of choices (bridge, neck, plating, etc), great look, and just a sweet blues guitar. Everything the strat is but better. Unfortunately it's also priced like it. I hope to order one before they're all gone......

Comment

Boy, if you want to talk about interference, talk about the 3-way switch and volume knob on a TELECASTER!

When I'm onstage and I finish taking a solo on my Tele's bridge pickup, it's a real struggle to get my fingers between the volume knob and the switch to switch back to the neck pickup again. There's just no room at all. Almost feels like I need BOTH HANDS sometimes to make it happen.

Strats are perfectly set up for fast pickup selection and easy volume & tone changes.

Teles? Not so perfect. I love 'em - but they're like a stubborn, difficult to get along with woman that you fight with all the time but want in your life anyway.
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              Boy, if you want to talk about interference, talk about the 3-way switch and volume knob on a TELECASTER!

When I'm onstage and I finish taking a solo on my Tele's bridge pickup, it's a real struggle to get my fingers between the volume knob and the switch to switch back to the neck pickup again. There's just no room at all.

I think Strats are perfectly set up. Teles? Not so perfect.
              I can see Strats being laid out very well but Tele's are fine for me too.

If you are having issues with the 3 way I've seen a LOT of "fixes" for that...Jeff Beck uses no switch tip, Danny Gatton bent his over at an angle but to me this is the way to go if a Tele's 3 way placement bothers you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RuttersAngledControlPlate1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	5763888
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                I can see Strats being laid out very well but Tele's are fine for me too.

If you are having issues with the 3 way I've seen a LOT of "fixes" for that...Jeff Beck uses no switch tip, Danny Gatton bent his over at an angle but to me this is the way to go if a Tele's 3 way placement bothers you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36474[/ATTACH]
                Cool! Never seen one like that before. That's the way all Tele's should be. I do bend mine like Danny Gatton...but it's still a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                  Cool! Never seen one like that before. That's the way all Tele's should be. I do bend mine like Danny Gatton...but it's still a PITA.
                  You'd like that Rutters plate...not only is the switch angled slightly but if you look at it next to a stock Fender plate you can see Marc moved the switch as far form the volume knob as possible still being able to leave the guitar stock.
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                    I love Strats. I love the body style, and how comfortable they are to play. However, after coming up on Les Pauls for the bulk of my 26 years of playing, I can't get used to the position of the volume knob. It drives me crazy. I've considered ordering a pick guard from Warmoth with the relocated volume knob position, but I'm not really sure if it will help. All I know is that in its stock position the knob is very much in my way. I can't rest my hand on the bridge when standing to acini date how I like to play.

For those of you who have relocated the knob, does it help? I'm about to sell off my last strat if I can't figure this one out.
                    Yes it helps. Not a Charvel just a partscaster.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat51.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	5763891

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      You'd like that Rutters plate...not only is the switch angled slightly but if you look at it next to a stock Fender plate you can see Marc moved the switch as far form the volume knob as possible still being able to leave the guitar stock.
                      I'd like to have a couple of those. $30 each on his website. He's got a lot of cool stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        Getting rid of the two tone knob setup on a Strat eliminates some of the best tones, and takes a lot of the function away from the switch. I'd gladly eliminate the volume before doing that.
                        Well, here's an idea that might really help the OP and satisfy Itsa too. Yank the volume pot and close the hole. Then convert the first tone into the master volume. Next take the second tone and put in a concentric pot for two tones! Huh? HUH?! Most of my strats are HH, so I wouldn't mind doing 2 concentric pots for the LP set-up. Hmmmmmm. I should try this.
                        MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Knobs are fine for me where they are. Even the switch. My problem is the scale length. Going from LP's and Dots/Sheratons to a strat-like guitar messes with my muscle memory.
                          "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                          "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                          "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                          "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Originally posted by Markk View Post
                            Knobs are fine for me where they are. Even the switch. My problem is the scale length. Going from LP's and Dots/Sheratons to a strat-like guitar messes with my muscle memory.
                            I do both..Doesn't take long to adapt to both scales for me,but I do like blues bends on the shorter scale lengths...Strat/Teles still king in my book!
                            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                            X