No announcement yet.

Battery doors on pedals---yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battery doors on pedals---yes or no?

My treble booster has a drawer that works nicely; only way to go if a pedal needs batteries. Well, would you call this a pedal in the proper sense?

Anyway, this thing doesn't glug down juice fast so I'm cool with it. Needing to take apart things to to change batteries = .
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

+1 to Way Huge having the best design.

When I worked at a guitar store, I definitely preferred and recommended pedals that had easy battery access just to save time on the sales floor. I can pop a battery in a Way Huge or a Boss in about 3 seconds and send the customer to demo it. It takes like 3 minutes to unscrew the back of an MXR or similar pedal and rig everything up.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I spent so many years in the 80's using batteries that I don't care. But I prefer the option.

Sometimes you just want to plug in the cables and go. Other times, the power supply is an obvious need, and a good thing.

I only recently moved to using a one spot. Mostly I don't use pedals that much though. When I used a 20 of them, I used batteries. Then I went to a powered floorboard multi-fx. Then I went amp. Then I went modeler. Now I'm using six for my acoustic stuff with the one spot.

A time and a place for everything. I agree though, Boss rules this area. Plastic cheapy doors that break suck. My Diaz Tremodillo is 9v only, but the battery lasts a long time in that so whatever.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I tend to not use batteries on my pedalboards, but If I'm having a jam and only using 1 or 2 them sometimes I will use batteries.

As for battery access the best designs (that I've used myself, can't speak for others) in my opinion are:

BOSS: The thumb screw design is very easy to use, also very good on dark stages.

Digitech: The design on the Bad Monkey (the only Digitech pedal I've used) is similar to the BOSS, but you have to press a button with a guitar pick to open the pedal. Still very easy.

Ibanez Tone-Lok series: Again very similar to BOSS but you press a tab on each side of the pedal and it opens up.

Comment

Yes, I want the option of using a battery. I generally only use 1 or 2 pedals at a time and I'll usually end up just throwing some batteries in there. The best battery door I have seen is the Way Huge as well.
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I definitely want pedals capable of running on batteries and I also want to be able to change the battery without the use of a screwdriver. I prefer not having to turn the pedal upside down (because that means removing it from the board if it's on one).

There's no getting away from it - the Boss design is excellent!

Comment

In this day and age, we shouldn't be using any kind of replaceable batteries at all. A rechargeable battery that is part of the design (or daisy chained pedals that can both recharge and be used off of AC should be where it is going. There would be more flexibility in design, space and voltages if we got away from the archaic 9v battery idea. This is a pretty cool example.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post

There's no getting away from it - the Boss design is excellent!
                  Except for the switch itself.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                    Except for the switch itself.
                    Disagree - nothing wrong with it at all. Why do you think this?
                    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Yes to battery doors (assuming I get a vote).
                      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

If it has to have batteries a way to change the battery without removing it from the board would be nice. Something simple (no tools) from the top is preferred.
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                        X