My first sand through, I'm sick to my stomach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first sand through, I'm sick to my stomach

I started finishing my esquire in October and was wet sanding with 800 between the strap pin and jack socket hole. As I wiped away the water, I saw a couple of 1/2 - 3/4 inch lines of primer white

I took a breath and finished the 800 pass and then continued with my final 1000 pass. After allowing it to dry I loosely masked it with some thin brown paper (so as to not form hard lines or get overspray where i don't want) and shot it with the little bit of fumes of Inverness green lacquer I have left.

It is drying and I just hope and pray my first real screw up / repair comes out ok. Of course I've got to hit with at least a couple coats of clear, then go back and feather it in. This is my 3rd lacquer finish job, so I had a good track record going.

The hard part is being patient

Re: My first sand through, I'm sick to my stomach

800 is too coarse when wet sanding. Start with 1200. Even that can break through if you're not careful. Work slowly and wipe the water away frequently to check your progress.

Finish work is slow work, it can't be rushed. Patience is absolutely the key word. I hope the repair works out for you. Don't set time limits, it will take as long as it takes, and maybe longer. Gear your mind down, breathe deep and slow, use 1200 and check your progress frequently. Good luck.

(btw, when spraying cars or guitars, always run some paint/lacquer around the edges and any raised features first, then spray the whole job. That way, the areas that can be prone to break-throughs have twice as much finish to allow for wet-sanding without breaking through).
    Last edited by crusty philtrum; 12-22-2012, 10:24 AM.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Thanks for the wisdom crusty. Weird though, I've always read most people on RR and TDPRI starting with 600. I've started with 800 to err on the side of caution, or so I thought.

I have at least learned from past experience to never force myself to work on a guitar and to only do it when I am in the mood. For me, it's a hobby and its supposed to be fun, rewarding, and a creative outlet, not a chore or a source of stress.

Hitting the edges first is one tip I will definitely remember for the next one. Thanks

Comment

Paint just doesn't want to gather at the edges and on the bottom of the guitar (unless you paint upside down).

What's even worse, is that that's one of the areas that gets it's fair share of abuse as far as the finish goes.

In the future... lay down extra finish near the bottom of the bout, since you want to protect the wood in that area.

The advice to start with the edges is a good one, but still throw on more towards the bottom of the bout.

Since you're working in nitro... it'll all melt together and your guitar will have adequate finish build-up where it needs it.

Good luck with the sand through... what was at jeopardy? Stain, tinted lacquer or both?
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
          Good luck with the sand through... what was at jeopardy? Stain, tinted lacquer or both?
          It's rattle can lacquer

Update: It's going to be ok. After doing the first application as I described above, I very lightlyfeathered the edge of the repair with some 1000, then misted it again with no masking. Everything blended in fine. I just need to build the clear coat back up in that area and I am back on course, if not a couple weeks behind. But that's the way it goes.

Thanks for you help

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
            It's rattle can lacquer

Update: It's going to be ok. After doing the first application as I described above, I very lightlyfeathered the edge of the repair with some 1000, then misted it again with no masking. Everything blended in fine. I just need to build the clear coat back up in that area and I am back on course, if not a couple weeks behind. But that's the way it goes.

Thanks for you help
            There is actually a way to sort of blend nitro finishes with an amalgamating solvent. Behlen's Qualalacq lacquer retarder is great for blending repairs and I use it with a Preval sprayer. I just used some a few minutes ago... it also makes the finish harder, less tacky and much more shiny. I always spray some on my finish after the final clear coats and before buffing and whatnot. It's also a great thing to have around when doing finish repair and or rattle can jobs. The Preval sprayer also lets you "mix your own" lacquer, tints, thinners or retarders together. You can buy lacquer buy the quart like the pro guys do. The spray pattern is very good... I like it much better than rattle cans personally.
            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Working...
            X