Ed Roman Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Roman Guitars

I heard some less than positive things about this company before Ed passed away. Has anyone here had any experience with them since he passed? What are your thoughts regarding customer service, product quality, prices, etc.?

The reason being, I was considering ordering from them once I get back on my feet financially, but with the negative word of mouth, I'm a little hesitant.

Re: Ed Roman Guitars

Nothing but good experiences with that shop here. You have to go in to appreciate it. Ignore the crazy Website rants and just focus on the stuff he carries and the work he does. I didn't know that he died.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

He was really an interesting character in the guitar world. I think he was just one of those guys that got a bad rap on the internet, because he was like a strong opinionated weird Leprechaun looking dude. LOL

I met him once when I went to his World's Biggest Guitar Store. A few minutes later, Boz Skaggs walked in, and his attention got redirected to Boz, of course. But at least I got to meet him at least once in my life.

And that's what he should be known for....his killer store. That was always the highlight of going to Vegas for me.
      He stocked thousands of guitars, and almost nothing else, but parts. He even stocked EVERY Fender signature model, including Seymour's. Ed's store is the only place I've actually seen a Seymour Duncan Esquire Signature Model. And next to that was the Rory Gallagher strat, Danny Gatton Tele, and all the Hellecaster sig models. How many stores have you been to that have that?
      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 12-25-2012, 04:23 AM.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Ed Roman Guitars

I emailed back and forth with Ed a few times, never any complaints, and bought some guitar parts ( Floyd Rose Bridges, tuners )from him over the years- if there were any problems ( once the tuners came without the screws), a simple phone call resolved the problem and they sent the screws out immediately.

He always had the lowest prices due to having the lowest overhead, which means he and his company never had time to deal with tire kickers, talking to guys that weren't serious about buying- so if you were one of those, he was rude because he had limited staff.

I can't tell you anything about how his shop is after he died- once he died, the web site was rarely to never updated, they didnt seem to bring in any new guitars, so I don't know how they're doing now

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
          He was really an interesting character in the guitar world. I think he was just one of those guys that got a bad rap on the internet, because he was like a strong opinionated weird Leprechaun looking dude.
          He was a bit more than "misunderstood". While the accusations about him modding PRS guitars and selling them as original higher-end models was never proven in court, he did get busted for building EBMM knock-offs and representing them as the real deal.

I used to have a web page dedicated to debunking some of the BS he spewed. Along the way I got a nice collection of first-hand accounts of his skeevy business practices. I also got an earful from a luthier who he used to "rep". When they parted ways, Ed went way negative on the brand (as he did with most anything he couldn't sell) and ended up with a gag order so he couldn't slam the builder any more.
          Last edited by aleclee; 12-25-2012, 11:46 AM.
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

Ed Roman Guitars

From what I recall, he really didnt get busted for selling EBMM knockoffs. The story is EVH likes to occasionally use the Steinberger Transtrem, so Ed Roman built a guitar with a body similar to the EBMM Axis, it was headless, with a Steinberger trem. He made one for EVH, then proceeded to produce and market them.

The Baker guitar company filed for bankruptcy, and went up for auction. EBMM wanted to buy it. Ed Roman sent an agent to the auction to bid in his place, and outbid EBMM. This became a sore point with EBMM, so they threatened Roman with trademark infringement over the EVH based guitar he was selling. Also, Ed Roman was also taking $199 OLP Axis, and for $649 would install a Floyd, put in Dimarzio pickups similar to the Axis, properly grind and polish the frets, and give a proper setup. EBMM was upset over this as well, and eventually created the Sterling line, which was a much higher grade import than the OLPs.

This is what I remember, I could be wrong

Comment

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've also heard that he sold modified/restored BC Rich guitars as original vintage pieces. He also bought the remaining stock when Class Axe went bankrupt and sold them as original USA BC Rich guitars. I don't know if any of the posts still exist, but there used to be extensive documentation on the BC Rich forum. This was also supposedly the reason that BC Rich wouldn't give him a dealership.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Ed Roman Guitars

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've also heard that he sold modified/restored BC Rich guitars as original vintage pieces. He also bought the remaining stock when Class Axe went bankrupt and sold them as original USA BC Rich guitars. I don't know if any of the posts still exist, but there used to be extensive documentation on the BC Rich forum. This was also supposedly the reason that BC Rich wouldn't give him a dealership.
                I remember this being true. He bought up the body blanks from Class Axe when they went out of buisness- most had the headstock logos installed before he bought them, and he proceeded to finish the guitars off.

He also did this when BC Rich was out of buisness, once Bernie Rico Sr started up BC Rich again, he stopped building the guitars

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
                  From what I recall, he really didnt get busted for selling EBMM knockoffs. The story is EVH likes to occasionally use the Steinberger Transtrem, so Ed Roman built a guitar with a body similar to the EBMM Axis, it was headless, with a Steinberger trem. He made one for EVH, then proceeded to produce and market them.
                  I don't think Ed made this statement on his web site out of pangs of conscience.

Ed Roman would like to apologize to Ernie Ball Music Man, for printing several disparaging remarks about the quality & of the guitars and the components they have chosen to use.

Ed Roman would also like to apologize for making 1 or 2 replacement bodies for the Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci models. There was never any purposeful intent to represent these bodies other than what they were or could have been.

1 Lefthanded replacement bodies built by Ed Roman 1 or possibly 2

2 Quilt top bodies Petrucci bodies that were never made but were offered to anyone who wanted a custom made body.

Ed Roman is also very sorry for any misunderstanding that may have occurred regarding the OLP Axis style bodies that were offered. Anyone who purchased one may return it for a full refund if they wish. To the best of my knowledge there were never any sold. However if I am wrong and you feel you overpaid, or that the body was misrepresented, or you don't want it for any reason at all. I will gladly buy it back for the full amount spent. I will pay shipping both ways and give you an extra $50.00 for your trouble.

Ed Roman extends the same apologies to John Petrucci and hopes there will be no bad vibe regarding this unfortunate misunderstanding, and any incidents that may or may not have occured.
                  Again, note that Ed slammed that which he could not deal.
                  make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                  My Music

Comment

OK, I did not see that until now....

And yes, Ed always tended to bash thosh brands he could not deal. He praised PRS, Heritage, G&L, Melanchon, Jackson, BC Rich, Hamer and particularly Joe Driskill before turning on each of them to praise his own brands.

Comment

Working...
                    X