Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dunlop straplock problem

ok ive got a bit of a pickle...

on my fender bass i put straplocks on it beacuse my strap would always come off the normal strap buttons. alright, so they were doin good for at least 4-5 months, then one day, god knows how, the straplock on the upper bout pulled out of the wood!!! what should i do now? i now have to sit down at my practices with my band and let me tell u this takes some of the rock out of rock and roll!
    [SIZE=1]Guitars:
    Gibson 2001 Les Paul Classic Premium w/ SD JB/59N
    Fender American Deluxe Strat (still stock SCNs)
    Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
    Marshall AVT 50(on the bay)
    Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Re: dunlop straplock problem

get some tooth picks and wood glue. jam the tooth picks in there with some glue, let it dry and tada new place to put strap locks

Comment

That's the cheap way, and it certainly works.

However, I would get a small forstener bit (used for boring) and drill the hole out enough that you can snugly fit a small dowel rod down in there. Use a super-strong glue (i.e. superglue or epoxy...wood glue will work but you need to let it set for a long time, and as i recall is soluble in water) and let the dowel set up. Use a Japanese flush-cutting saw (thin blade, cuts on both passes) to trim it up. Screw in your new strap screw and you're good to go!

On a side note, I've had the same problem with the Dunlop straploks. They came loose, and they also stripped out the screw head. I've switched to Schallers and had no trouble since.

Comment

i heard the same thing about dunlops.

go schaller!
        Originally posted by Aceman
        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

ive been using the recessed dunlops for years and i havent had any problems but i havent used the normal ones

Comment

yeah schallers look like they would last longer i might replace the dunlops with schallers, thanks for the help
            [SIZE=1]Guitars:
            Gibson 2001 Les Paul Classic Premium w/ SD JB/59N
            Fender American Deluxe Strat (still stock SCNs)
            Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
            Marshall AVT 50(on the bay)
            Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Comment

Schaller all the way, that's what I use. Because the dunlops stick out so far from the body, it causes lateral pressure to be exerted on the screw like a lever, it rips the screw out of the wood over time. It's such a bad design, especially compared to the Schallers, that's a great design.

Comment

Interestingly enough, i've never had a problem with dunlops - they're what i use. I do know people who used shallers, and for some reason they didn't lock properly, and had to do a quick save to avoid a headstock repair. I've never heard of that happening to dunlops.

As far as the strap button screw coming out - it happens sometimes regardless of what you're using. Stick some toothpicks and glue in the hole, and screw it in again.
                Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

I've had problems with Dunlops. The tolorance's either wear out after a few
                  years. Or vary from a few years?? I bought a brand new set of dunlops
                  and put them on a strap I use for a few guitars. The new locks wouldn't
                  hold in the older posts? slipped right out. GO SCHALLER !!
                  http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I used dunlops for like a month then switched ot schallers, and i put the dunlops into my old jay turser strat....and you know what?....IT RIPPED RIGHT OUT OF MY TURSER ..tankfully it wasnt my fender...so d ont really care to get it repaire disnc ei never use that peice of crap...but sitll it was a disaster waiitng ot happen! yay for schaller boo to dunlop! ( excpet for your picks ...i love your picks, strap, electronics lol) just your strap locks suck...
                    Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                    X