guitar kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar kits?

anyone know of some good sites for guitar kits and guitar amps? i really am gassing to buy one and build a guitar or an amp. for the amp i am looking for a 40 or so watt tube amp, and quality but cheap....for guitar im looking for anything really, i want a pre-fretted, inlayed and drilled neck, id prefer a shaped headstock, a cut body that requires light sanding, and than the hardware, though since id be getting duncans pups arent neccessary, i could also buy hardware if need be. and i am not the best painter, but how hard can it be.....thanks in advnace
    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
    Crate VC-3112
    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
    Fender Bassman 60

Re: guitar kits?

Carvin offers kits, but I can't vouch for their quality. Stewart McDonald also sells necks & bodies.

IMHO you'll get the best quality from either Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars. They aren't cheap, but you'll end up with a great guitar. (Only my opinion, but stay away from the "Warmoth construction" necks.)

Originally posted by BluesNRock87
    i am not the best painter, but how hard can it be.....
    Given how many months it has taken me to finish my first guitar, it can be pretty darn difficult. I'd suggest getting a pre-finished body. There's a product called TruOil for finishing gun stocks that can be wiped on a neck relatively easily - that's fine if you don't mind the look of the bare wood and you're using a maple neck. (TruOil won't fill the pores on mahogany very well from what I've read.)

Bottom line: I don't think you'll really save money - especially if you consider resale value - by building your own guitar. However, if you want to learn how everything works together and build something exactly the way YOU want it, there are only a few things more satisfying than plugging in and playing a guitar you've been working on for months.

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Working...
    X