banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Fender and Charvel necks/neck pockets compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Fender and Charvel necks/neck pockets compatible?

I was wondering if there's ever any issue with mounting a Fender neck on a new Charvel Pro Mod or any of the other Charvel models, and visa versa?

I don't seem to see many hybrid parts guitars, but I see lots of parts from those two companies on Ebay.

As good as Charvel necks are, they don't have the exact feel I like, which is a nice Fender chunky C profile with typical Am Std frets and 9.5" radius.

I'm thinking of mounting an Fender Am. Std. floyd neck on a Charvel Pro Mod body w/Floyd. Will the neck fit in the pocket perfectly?
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Are Fender and Charvel necks/neck pockets compatible?

Charvel necks are wider at the heel, so you will need a Charvel neck or a Fender body.

Charvel Pro Mod 2 1/4"
    Fender 2 3/16"

No "proper" way to make the two work.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Mate, I don't get you.
      IS JUST THE NECK WHAT SETS APPART CHARVEL!!!!!
      This is what they were well known for.
      And, they are perfect for what those axes were designed.

I would go for a Strato for everything BUT for a Charvel when hi-gain / shredding / modern tone is involved.

Just familiarize yourself with that neck. Can take just a couple of days for you to discover how fast you can walk this fretboard.
      Each of my axes have a different neck profile / fretboard radius or even bridge type. It took me a while to feel comfortable with everyone but, now, no axe design is limiting me. I think this is a little obstacle that will make you more versatile.
      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

As Ayrton alluded to, all USA spec Charvels (probably to include the new mexico Pro-Mods) have a 2 1/4" neck pocket and neck.

The only ones that don`t follow this rule are the diverse imports over the (pre reissue) years, such as ´80s Model + Toothpaste series and teh early 2000s model series. These have "standard" 2 3/16 pockets, though some have 24 frets.

And I agree with Hermetico, the main reason to buy a Charvel is the neck profile. So just buy one and get used to something better than those Fender toothpicks
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

That brings up a good point, how different is a standard strat neck vs a Charvel promod? It is not like the Charvel necks are Ibanez thin or anything. Also, Charvel necks don't have that nasty polish finish.

I have plenty of guitars with poly on the body, but I can't have than on the back of a neck.
          -Chris

Comment

You could have Musikcraft, maybe Warmoth, USA Custom*...make you a 9 1/2 radius strat head oiled neck that would fit the neck pocket correctly.

* With USACG you would have to do the final shaping of the head your self I believe.

On edit: Maybe Charvel would make you a custom neck too.
            Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM.

Comment

^^ He wants to fit a Fender neck into a Charvel body, whit will leave 1/8" gap on both sides. Musikraft I THINK will do the 2 1/4" heel on special order, AFAIK they`re the only ones. Charvel only builds necks as a subassembly of building guitars, they don`t sell loose parts.

But the wider heel will automatically feel slightly different than the profile he wants, so he`s still boned
              Last edited by Zerberus; 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM.
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                Musikraft I THINK will do the 2 1/4" heel on special order, AFAIK they`re the only ones.
                Correct...

The only thing really is to take the neck you want, and order a body to match it.
                -Chris

Comment

[QUOTE=Zerberus;3376831]^^ He wants to fit a Fender neck into a Charvel body, whit will leave 1/8" gap on both sides. Musikraft I THINK will do the 2 1/4" heel on special order, AFAIK they`re the only ones. Charvel only builds necks as a subassembly of building guitars, they don`t sell loose parts.

It’s only 1/16th difference so that is 1/32 on each side of the neck. I actually just set up a white so cal body with a rosewood wd strat replacement neck, because of what I do for work Thinner necks hurt my hands. I did have to add some shims to keep the alignment set but after getting it setup it plays perfect. You really would only notice under close inspection. It will work if it’s what you really want but not 100% perfect. Click image for larger version

Name:	6F783640-47BA-4B8B-86E9-D2881435CB10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	5817437Click image for larger version

Name:	4874837C-15A3-4C83-A19A-EC1F1A151A19.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	5817438

Comment

Musikraft and USACG will both do a Charvel heel width neck, or body with a wider neck pocket if you want one.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Off topic comment: I would really like to try a neck with the fender string spacing and the Charvel compound radius. Is that the Fender American Elite?
                      Who took my guitar?

Comment

Threadsurrection!

Comment

Working...
                        X