banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blog: Was the Slingerland Songster Model 401 the First Electric Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog: Was the Slingerland Songster Model 401 the First Electric Guitar?

To learn more, click here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypkk1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	5826901
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Blog: Was the Slingerland Songster Model 401 the First Electric Guitar?

Interesting guitar; nice burst. It's made of maple I suppose?

Those guys who boast about their double thick ceramic mags have nothing on this!
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I agree, the facts point to this beig the first truly magnetic pickup electric guitar. The technology ... huge magnet, flux return path over the strings, etc. indicate that it was a struggle, with the permanent magnet technology of the day, to get enough signal out of the pickup to drive the tube amp technology of the day. Lohr's "pickups" in that era were crystal pickups that sensed vibration of the sounding board, with some mechanical amplification even, to get high enough voltage out. Ditto the ceramic mic.
      I would love to know who conceived this design.
      He was the true inventor of the electric guitar as we know it, with pickups converting string vibration directly to electric signal, no sound involved, no physical vibration of anything but the string itself involved.
      I wish someone would do detailed pics and diagrams of this beast.

Comment

Welcome to the forum
        I too wish we had more pictures of this one
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Ah, an old article of mine.

Comment

Sounds pretty darned good!
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

This sort of taints Les Paul's claim to having disigned the first solid body, although I think he does mention the Rickenbacker Pan in some interviews I've read.
              Where does that Bigsby electric guitar with the 6-on-the-side tuner headstock that is thought to be inspiration for the Fender headstock fit into all of this?.
              Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                This sort of taints Les Paul's claim to having disigned the first solid body, although I think he does mention the Rickenbacker Pan in some interviews I've read.
                Where does that Bigsby electric guitar with the 6-on-the-side tuner headstock that is thought to be inspiration for the Fender headstock fit into all of this?.
                Al
                Les Paul made the first semi-hollow guitar. The Fender Broadcaster in 1950 was the first commercially successful solid body guitar. The Les Paul wasn't released until 1952.

I always thought the Rickenbacker Frying Pan was the first electric guitar and the ES-150 was the first Spanish-style electric guitar.
                Last edited by Chistopher; 11-01-2018, 08:30 AM.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                X