CTN builds a Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTN builds a Star

Fair warning...this thread is gonna take a while. For those who didn't see the preview thread, this is essentially what I'm building: A no-holds-barred unrelenting metal machine. Simple, but brutally effective.

Here are the specs:

Finish: Going for something close to Charcoal Frost metallic. Basically a dark gray metallic with just a tiny hint of blue.
    Body: KNE Guitars XStar body (alder)
    Neck: bolt on, Warmoth Maple neck, Pau Ferro fretboard, no inlays (I ordered a reverse CBS neck, but I'll be shaping the headstock)
    Neck profile: Thin C
    Scale Length: 24.75"
    Radius: 12"
    Frets: 22 x 6105 - medium jumbo
    Nut: Graphtech Black Tusq
    Hardware colour: Chrome
    Tuners: Grover mini rotomatics
    Bridge: Gotoh GE103B Nashvile styled ABR-1 tune o matic (it's an ABR-1, minus retainer wire, and with longer saddle travel for better intonation)
    Controls: Master Vol, Master Tone, 3-way toggle
    Pickups:
    -Bridge: JB8
    -Neck: bridge model hot rails, in parallel

I've already bought all the other parts I need, with the exception of the paint and the decal. Just waiting for all of it to get here, which will happen in the next few weeks. BUT, I got the first of the parts today - the body, and I'm thrilled about it. I actually wasn't even expecting it until the middle of next week cuz usually it takes a full 7 business days for stuff to get here from the states. I was quite surprised that it got here in just over 5 business days.

I really gotta give it up to Mitch Yenney at KNE Guitars. He was extremely helpful answering my questions and put together a killer product. His bodies are all done on a CNC machine so they're precise, and no screwups. Even after a week of being manhandled by USPS and Canadapost, it got here with only one tiny dent on the lower rear bout, which I was very easily able to steam out. It's surprisingly light too, only about 3.7 lbs.

Obviously, still needs to be finish sanded, but other than that, Mitch did a fantastic job. For any EVH/pointy guitar lovers, he also does a bevy of jackson/charvel/kramer/frankenstein bodies, and he does bolt on explorers, non reverse firebirds, Icemans, flying Vs, king Vs, rhoads Vs, ESP rhoads Vs and dean ML bodies. Great prices too. http://www.kneguitars.com/

Check it out.

Angled neck pocket

Neck pocket again - perfect dimensions as measured with my digital calipers

Nice clean control route with all the wiring channels already drilled. I'll need to drill the pot/switch locations though.

recessed string ferrule holes for flanged ferrules.

Full rear shot - I think I might do a jackson style contoured heel, cuz it's still pretty big, even with the angled pocket.

And full frontal shot with the pickups placed. I'm gonna be using a chrome mounting ring for the bridge bucker, not this black one, and the neck pickup will be direct mounted to the body. The hot rails in the neck looks kinda funny cuz it's actually white, but I didn't want to have one black one white pickup, so I cut some pickup coil tape and placed it on top of the bobbins.

That's it for now. Next update will probably be when I receive the neck in a few weeks (hopefully less, but we'll see).
    Last edited by CTN; 04-07-2013, 10:23 AM.

Re: CTN builds a Star

I wonder if you could cut out the toggle and use a push/pull like a Squire 51?

Comment

I could, but why would I want to? I like toggles.

Comment

Thats epic man. Me want
        Last edited by kramersteen; 04-06-2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking about building an Iceman over the summer. I'll probably build one if I get enough cash to spend.
          My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
          The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
          Originally posted by CTN
          I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
          FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

that reminds me...wonder what happened to Jolly's purple and blue Icemen.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
              Last time he posted about them I think he said the weather wasn't good enough to put a clear coat on them yet.
              My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
              The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
              Originally posted by CTN
              I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
              FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

At least he chose a forum-appropriate body style for that project. Iceman'd!

This is going to be a sick guitar. Have fun building it!
                Originally posted by DreX
                Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Awesome . One of my favourite unorthodox shapes
                  Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                  what the hell ever happened to rock & roll being loud & brash & pinning you to the wall behind you?

Comment

Sweet!

(And I wish I had a CNC machine.)

Comment

You have no idea how excited I am to see this unfold.

I already ****ing love that guitar.

Comment

Mt. Joe excited?

Comment

Ahhh the scale length is like my charvel fusion. Yeah it will be a fun one to play thats for sure. How do you plan to wire it? 1 vol 1 tone and a 3way?

Comment

^yes, that exactly. really simple, like I said.

I've only recently become a fan of 24.75" scale, but it makes a lot of sense since I'm a smaller guy and i have thin fingers.

Comment

^yes, that exactly. really simple, like I said.

I've only recently become a fan of 24.75" scale, but it makes a lot of sense since I'm a smaller guy and i have thin fingers.
                              I hve a few HS projects near completion so i was curious at how you are wiring it. You sure you don't want to add a nice pushpull to split that neck into a single? haha

Comment

Working...
                              X