Edwards Flying V...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwards Flying V...

Anybody got one or played one? I hear Edwards makes good stuff. Just wondering about anyone's first-hand experience. I found a white Edwards Flying V for a good price.

Re: Edwards Flying V...

Yeah, one of our forum bros has one. Loves it! Ive had an Edwards Sykes model and it was an awesome guitar!! Plays like the real deal, just has a thicker finish. Go for it!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I would really like to know more about Edwards guitar. I'm a Gibson fan (owning a 2005 SG Standard & a 1997 Flying V).
      Thing is real Gibson's are very high cost instruments. Edwards are high cost, but not so high like the real Gibson's.
      What are your opinions on them? I own a DBZ Bolero and it's a winner, my #1 guitar, and plays/feels/sounds better than my Gibson's. Still a Gibson fan*

Would like to read opinions about Edwards guitars.
      Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

I have a limited run Edwards V (maple board, non-recessed floyd, metallic red finish) and its pretty damn awesome. I've often been tempted to grab one of their standard Vs sometime, I love the block inlays and fb binding.

What specifically would you like to know?
        Originally posted by Aceman
        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Nut width, how it plays. The one I'm looking at is almost exactly like an older Gibson V I had in the early 80's. I want a white V and this fits the bill. I'd love to see a pic of yours.

Comment

They seem like pretty nice spec: Duncans and Gotoh hardware. Wish they did a '58 spec V.

I like the look of the Explorers they offer too.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by LP82 View Post
              Nut width, how it plays. The one I'm looking at is almost exactly like an older Gibson V I had in the early 80's. I want a white V and this fits the bill. I'd love to see a pic of yours.
              Nut width on mine is apparently 1 5/8. I just measured it, though going by feel I probably would've sworn it was 11/16. Perhaps I have a wider spaced Floyd nut, who knows.

It plays great, I feel like my playing is tightest on this guitar. Something just very precise about it. Mine came with EMGs, I switched to Super D & Phat Cat, and then swapped the Super D for an AT-1 as I had the D in another guitar and wanted more variety (though I've been thinking of swapping it back in). Its also very stable...I'm not sure I've even messed with the truss rod at all on it, and I know I haven't touched the intonation.

Last edited by ex-250; 04-15-2013, 08:23 AM.
              It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
                I have a limited run Edwards V (maple board, non-recessed floyd, metallic red finish) and its pretty damn awesome. I've often been tempted to grab one of their standard Vs sometime, I love the block inlays and fb binding.

Just saw your guitar! Very nice! Looks like the one Kirk Hammett is holding/playing at ''The Day That Never Comes'' video.
                I would like to know about their sound, playability, their finish... Some overall information about the instrument. I really dig Les Paul shaped instruments. My only single cut guitar is my DBZ Bolero and for me it's perfection. Perfect body, neck, sound; all that I want out of a guitar. Still.... you know tone search never ends. I may have found perfection, but I'm always willing to step up in the game.

I imagine that Edwards don't have a great resale value (I ain't interested in selling the guitar), but they may be a great platform for pickup swaps, and getting great tone out of them. They have a 59 neck profile. Don't know which type of paint they use on their guitars.

Still... how do they sound aganist a real Gibson Les Paul? They fight aganist the Studios, the Traditionals, the Standard, the Customs, the Custom Shop?
                Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Never owned a Les Paul of any sort, so I can't help you there.
                  I mentioned playability above.
                  I have a non-standard finish, so it would be different on their regular Vs.
                  As for sound, I'm pretty sure their normal Vs come with JB/59. Mine having different pickups, not to mention a different bridge and fretboard material, will sound different.

Essentially the similarities between mine and the standard Vs end at shape/dimensions. Mine is very well made though, and I feel confident in Edwards' workmanship.

Comment

I've only heard good things about Edwards guitars, they're supposed to be pretty decent.

Comment

Never owned a Les Paul of any sort, so I can't help you there.
                      I mentioned playability above.
                      I have a non-standard finish, so it would be different on their regular Vs.
                      As for sound, I'm pretty sure their normal Vs come with JB/59. Mine having different pickups, not to mention a different bridge and fretboard material, will sound different.

Essentially the similarities between mine and the standard Vs end at shape/dimensions. Mine is very well made though, and I feel confident in Edwards' workmanship.
                      Don't feel any bad! I got a Gibson Flying V myself with a Slash Alnico II set installed. I only read good comments about them. The only negatives ones is that they're somehow made in China, then sent to Japan for the final process. Other thing is that they're lightweight aganist the ''real thing'', and give a hollow sound. Still would like to play one someday. They look like a more accesible way of getting a Gibson, but with another name in the headstock. Gibson nowadays are WAY overpriced!

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                      I've only heard good things about Edwards guitars, they're supposed to be pretty decent.
                      Would like to play one someday. They really look interesting. I can see like 4 pages of them on eBay.
                      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Again, I loved mine! Sounded as good and played like my Gibbies. Def worth the money..
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Own 3 Edwards- they are by the ESP people so I know nothing bad are in there.
                          Psychic Horns

Comment

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
                            I only read good comments about them. The only negatives ones is that they're somehow made in China, then sent to Japan for the final process. Other thing is that they're lightweight aganist the ''real thing'', and give a hollow sound. Still would like to play one someday. They look like a more accesible way of getting a Gibson, but with another name in the headstock. Gibson nowadays are WAY overpriced!
                            Is that made in china thing for reals? Or just people spreading generic "oh those naughty asian guitar companies" lore?

MAPLE/floyd/metallic red?? any info on how you've managed to get a hold of smthn so dang amazing and how much it set ya back??

(edited the plea for pics - apparently I forgot to refresh the page, they were already there by the time I wrote it)
                            Last edited by Adieu; 04-16-2013, 09:02 PM.
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

It was really just dumb luck stumbling upon it on ebay. I've only ever seen 2 others online at all, one popped up on ebay a few times (that one is easy to pick out- the owner had the headstock cut pointy). I don't remember the exact cost of mine, my guess is $1100 or so. The one with the cut up headstock was going for a good bit cheaper last I saw it. Just search FV-140M from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                              X