Ernie Ball cobalt strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernie Ball cobalt strings

A co-worker of mine recently tried the Cobalt Slinkies. He says they are the best new strings he's tried. He thinks they really woke his pick-ups up. Has anyone here tried these strings? If so please share your experiences with them. Thanks.

Re: Ernie Ball cobalt strings

They are bright and clear and do increase output. I do not think.they sound any better than other EB offerings, just different..more like stainless steel strings.

Hated , hated,.hated the feel of fthe wounds, and they actually irritated my fingers, but alot of chemicals and whatnot do that to my skin. Regardless there was a ton of drag on the wounds and a rough feel as if the wraps are spaced too far apart.

Big EB string fan..love the standard, RnR,.and titanium slinkys, but I would not use the Cobalts if I got em for free.
    Last edited by JeffB; 05-17-2013, 07:22 PM.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

If you're using the term "slinkies", I'm assuming you're a guitar player. I was talked into putting a set of Cobalts on 5-string bass. My impression: Meh. Nothing special. I won't be getting any more -- not because they are bad strings, they're not -- but because I normally use D'Addario and DR strings, which I like better and are less expensive.
      Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
      To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

I haven't tried them.. but they are still "new" so to speak and I was wanting to get more information on how these new Cobalt strings wear on frets. If it sounds a little better.. but chews up frets it's not worth the trouble or expense.. But I've not heard one way or the other on the fret wear with them.

Comment

" He thinks they really woke his pick-ups up" lolz.

He's kidding himself if he thinks they really make that much difference. It's a change of strings, not changing to a different amp, speakers or cabinet, geez.

They are a bit brighter but that's about it. The added brightness may not even necessarily be a good thing with one's particular guitar/amp setup.
          I do find them to last 3-4 times longer than normal nickel strings which at least justifies the higher price.
          They are harder on frets, like stainless steel strings, which isn't a problem if you use stainless steel frets, however after a period of time you might begin to notice accelerated fret wear on nickel steel frets.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski View Post
            " He thinks they really woke his pick-ups up" lolz.
            Maybe there's no point in reminding you that the 'Co' in AlNICo is cobalt, like the 'Ni' is nickel. The strings are as integral to the transduction system as the magnets and the coil wire. Changes in magnet alloy are audible, so it makes complete sense that changing from nickel wounds to cobalt wounds, might be compared to the audible change going from say, an A2 to an A8 mag.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I figured with all the players and tone gurus on this board I would get some good opinions. I'm building a Partscaster and based on my friend going say crazy over these strings I thought I would try them out. I just wanted to hear some other opinions. I usually play GHS Nickle Rockers, but I'm open to try new stuff when it comes out if its an improvement sound-wise.

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
              If you're using the term "slinkies", I'm assuming you're a guitar player. I was talked into putting a set of Cobalts on 5-string bass. My impression: Meh. Nothing special. I won't be getting any more -- not because they are bad strings, they're not.
              Yes. I play guitar. I hadn't even seen these strings out in a bass version. I should have specified, but to be honest I didn't even think about bass strings. Most bass players I know keep strings on their instruments way longer than guitar players do. I wonder if the Titanium version of the Ernie Ball strings would be a good thing for bass players. I guess the Titanium coating resists getting cruddy over time. Seems like that would be good if you don't change strings frequently.

Comment

I use them, I like them a lot. IMO it sounds like I get added clarity, added output, and they are easier to bend on, making it feel like I have stainless steel frets

Comment

Picked up a 12 pack of them from the EB table at the last Great American Guitar Expo for cheap. I like 'em. Have been switching between EB reg. Slinkys and these and there is a difference. Playability seems to have stayed the same but there is a change in the tone. For the better in the case of my playing and style. YMMV.

Comment

They're brighter, and when they get used, THEY GET USED; as-in rusty barbed wire. Cool packaging, iron though very magnetic, isn't a good idea for instrument strings because iron RUSTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                      They're brighter, and when they get used, THEY GET USED; as-in rusty barbed wire. Cool packaging, iron though very magnetic, isn't a good idea for instrument strings because iron RUSTS.
                      Don't really understand you here...have had these strings on one of my guitars for over a month now with no rust (and this guitars been gigged and to almost every practice since). Although I can see the plain ones rusting eventually...as does any string, because metals rust, not just iron. Nickel, bronze, cobalt...
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I've used Cobalts for over a year now on my guitars. I've left sets for up to two months (maybe a little more sometimes) when a string breaks and there's never any rust. They still are pretty shiny.
                        http://www.lonephantom.com
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Yeah when I used them they wore out really quick like, and my fingers are usually really friendly to strings. They feel "stretchier" if that makes sense. Like loose. I feel like I could use my old strings and tweak my amp a little to get the same difference, I dunno. a hint more presence, that's about it. Not for me.

Comment

I tryed a set and really liked them,but for the amount of money spent on the cobalts,I'm still a user of D'Addario and the EB RNR strings..
                            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I tried my first set, 10's. I don't really like them. I have heard others say they're "slinkier". To me, they feel stiffer and the wound strings feel rougher. I will use them until they are done; but will go back to my Regular Slinky brand. They are almost 3x the price anyway...
                              -Butch

Comment

Working...
                              X