I Need a Soloist Guitar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need a Soloist Guitar!

My problem is pretty straight forward; I ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Standard, along with purchasing a Duncan Distortion and Jazz Model to be placed into it, on a website the day after Christmas. The website says that it's on backorder, and ever since that day, I've been questioning if I should have purchased the thing or not. It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL, no doubt about it, but please keep in mind that I own as ESP LTD 151D (It's the one James Hetfield uses; kind of like a black explorer, except the edges are sharper), so I already HAVE a solid rhythm guitar packed with power.

My only problem? The ESP weighs a TON. It's GREAT for rhythm, but it's way too freaking heavy to perform solos on it. I thought that the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Standard was my solution, but apparently that, TOO, is extremely heavy, and thus most people only use it for rhythm.

I need your help! I'm looking for an incredibly powerful, heavy metal/hard rock Electric guitar in the 600-700 price range. Since I already bought the two pickups that I'll be using to replace the inevitably crappy stock pickups of the guitar, the stock pickups are thus not an issue. I need something good for soloing! Something light, but durable. I just need a guitar that I can gig with that'll get me through those clutch shredding metal solos without me being weighed down.

I haven't canceled my order with the les Paul yet; since it's only on backorder, I have yet to actually pay for it. If you believe I should just stick with the Les Paul and the pickups I plan on putting in it, Let me know!!

Thanks guys.

Re: I Need a Soloist Guitar!

Sounds to me like you need one of those 80's super-strats from either ESP or Jackson. Try to find one with a mahogany/alder body. I don't know- Les Pauls are good enough for shredders like Slash and Zakk (Frehley too?)... It's all a matter of personal preferrence I s'pose.

Last edited by 7th Hell; 01-17-2005, 03:28 AM.
    Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
    ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
    ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
    ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
    ESP KH-1
    LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
    BC Rich KKV
    Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
    Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

you can try schecter out? their guitars are reasonably priced, around 600-800 USD for the good ones... i own one and its great for soloing and everything... they have a new models that are stocked with emg hzs but i don't think its on their website yet...
      Schecter C1 Blackjack (with emgs 81/85)
      Gibson SG

Laney HCM 65R
      Marshall MG 30DFX

Boss MD 2 mega distortion
      Line 6 Guitarport

Jim Dunlop Tortex picks

Comment

go for a ESP or a jackson

Comment

If you need somthing for soloing, a les paul is great dont get me wrong, but it dosent have a super fast fret board, and the bottem frets are a little harder to hit (i'm my opinion).
          Go for the esp ltd kh 602 or 202, or a jackson dinky or soloist, somthing with 24 frets

Comment

Alright, thanks for the help guys.

I took a gander at some beautiful Schecter guitars, and the Schecter Tempest Custom looks absolutely beautiful-A very Les Paul like look to it, but it looks to have its own personality to it as well.

Here are the specs:
            CONSTRUCTION:
            Set-Neck

BODY:
            Mahogany w/ Maple

NECK:
            3pc Mahogany

FINGERBOARD:
            Rosewood

FRETS:
            22 Jumbo

SCALE:
            24 3/4"

INLAYS:
            Split Crown

BRIDGE:
            TonePros System

BINDING:
            Multi-Ply

TUNERS:
            Grover

HARDWARE:
            *see finishes

PICKUPS:
            Duncan Designed H-102 (I'm going to replace these with a Zakk Wylde Model)

ELECTRONICS:
            Vol / Vol / Tone / 3-way

FINISHES:
            Vintage White (WHT) w/ Chrome Hardware, Dark Vintage Sunburst (DVS) w/ Chrome Hardware, Gloss Black (BLK) w/ Gold Hardware
            CASE:
            SGR-1C
            TECH:
            Schematics
            Control Layout

Now, the other one I've been looking at is also a Schecter: A C1 Classic. here are the specs:

Construction: Neck-Thru Body

Body: Mahogany/Quilt Maple

Neck: Maple

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Scale: 25-1/2 in.

Inlays: Vine of Life

Hardware: Gold Satin

Bridge: Tone Pros

Tuners: Grover

Binding: Natural [body], Creme [neck]

Frets: 24 Jumbo

Electronics: Seymore Duncan JB [bridge], Seymour Duncan '59 [neck]

Finishes: Vintage Natural Gloss, Antique Amber

Case: SGR-1C (not included)

Both are absolutely gorgeous but the Classic I probably wouldn't be able to use in at least a month or two because it's out of stock everywhere. Like I said, I love to play heavy metal, and would probably through in a ZW EMG set in there.

Between those two, which would you suggest?

Comment

I like the C-1, except the lower cutaway isn't deep enough. I always bang my hand on it.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Nice!!!!! Perfect for what your playing.I worked at a guitar store that had Schecter and thay are very nice guitars.
                Last edited by CDBfan; 01-17-2005, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Wrong forum, this DEFINITELY belongs in the Guitar Shop

That said: Jackson. Either an SLSMG, SL-3 or RR-5 (if on a budget), or a USA Soloist or Rhoads

Just say NO to Import Knockoffs (ESPee, IbeenHad...)
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Hmm..Les Pauls just a rhythm guitar? No smokin fast leads?

Two words..

John Sykes

Uhmm..Two more words

Gary Moore

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Check out Carvin. Fast necks, great prices, beautiful guitars. My V220 is a shred machine.
                      -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
                      -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

Originally posted by NT02
                        Check out Carvin. Fast necks, great prices, beautiful guitars. My V220 is a shred machine.
                        Never found a Carvin over the years I stopped by their stores that ever stacked-up to a Gibson for tone...IMHO the PUPs are absolutely aweful!

BTW, my vote is on the ESP with Duncan PUPs
                        Seeker Of Ultimate Tone

Comment

Gary,

I admit, I play my Les Paul lots more than the Carvin. But I still love to break it out every now and then. It's a blast to play.
                          -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
                          -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

Am I the only one scratching his head at the heavy guitar = rythym only presupposition of the original post?

Edit: And yeah, that Schecter is beautiful.
                            ---------------------------
                            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

i really never had to use a rhythm guitar and a lead guitar, nor do i think these exist. A les paul rips some insane lead tones, take it from clapton, page, hammett, john sykes, gary moore, slash,.......list never ends. If you can get a sweet tone and get used to the size go for it.

Maybe a JB in the bridge position would get you a better metal tone, but I dont play that genre so i really wouldnt know. Custom Custom would get a fatter thicker lead tone too.
                              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
                              X