X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 70's Fender Strat Project

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
    You need a creamy dreamer fuzz.
    Haha, I have a standard NYC reissue big muff and a vintage deluxe big muff. And a Russian muff for my bass. I'm not satisfied yet.

I thought the creamy dreamer + Corgan was just a myth?
    I'm thinking about getting one of the many opamp clones.

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
      Haha, I have a standard NYC reissue big muff and a vintage deluxe big muff. And a Russian muff for my bass. I'm not satisfied yet.

I thought the creamy dreamer + Corgan was just a myth?
      I'm thinking about getting one of the many opamp clones.
      Corgan + Creamy Dreamer is a myth which is thoroughly debunked here. Scroll down to the 'mods' section for details, or read the entire page for everything you ever wanted to know about Big Muffs and more.
      Last edited by dystrust; 03-16-2014, 10:12 PM. Reason: More detail
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Just say no to the Creamy Dreamer. Internet hype/myth created by a clever young man. Now, the Siamese Scream from El Musico Loco is the real deal. Op Amp Big Muff at its best. It has a dual band EQ for extra tone shaping too. I love mine.
        "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

highway line was supposedly USA-made according to fender.

though electronics were definitely mexican; don't recall about the hardware, which could at best have been japanese and at worst korean or chinese, but surely not USA (since even the higher up AmStd line's stuff has been Gotoh for ages and lower-end lines tend to sport various Ping models)

MIM's potentially pricier bodies might come from those eye-wateringly expensive historically styled models they name after the decade its supposed to symbolize...potentially. Surely though some'll swear by em and others will snub their noses and claim all mexi-bodies are made equally regardless of what model they went on. Who knows. America and Japan have churned out some radically different versions for different models and even different colors of the same model, not sure about the truth with Mexico.

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
          It's more of a guess than anything. You have any idea what it might be? I'm not even 100% sure the name of the color is cobalt blue, I'm just going by the ebay name.
          on pic: rout and 3 holes look kinda mexican, no reason I see to expect Highway 1 origin. probably a scammer exploiting borderline legality of "afaik" statements claimed to be made in good faith, as most parts sellers on the bay are. especially when it comes to fender.

USA (relevant last 20 years at least) should have inspection signoff stuff, not barcodes. japan would have neater, way tighter, and model-specific routs. 3 holes can be used to confirm nonUSA/nonMIJ, but don't remember if it can authenticate MIM vs the cheaper stuff.... price of parts vs bodies though, unless you're using everything else from the parts bin for "free" or stubbornly coming up just short of budget, why even touch MIM or potentially worse? it'll stubbornly be your "value bottleneck" (mexico's fender's #3, korea and indonesia share #4, china india come up #5 - as in fifth rate), for own feelings and for honest resale both
          Last edited by Adieu; 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM.
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

So where are you on this project? Update please. I can't wait to see the results.
            "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by Hecubus View Post
              So where are you on this project? Update please. I can't wait to see the results.
              Can't wait for this to be done either...

Ordered the parts I needed, hasn't come in the mail yet. The body, neck, pickups are ready tho! Took me a minute to find a bridge that would fit properly.

Comment

lol over a month later, did not think it was going to take this long. It's almost done tho! All the parts have arrived a while ago, just finishing up the wiring. Should be ready for pics soon

Comment

So close to being done, couple things left to do....

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398444769387.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	5777229
                  Last edited by Kais; 04-25-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Looks great man!
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

wiring problems......

Comment

Today is the big day! After all the problems, I should be reunited with the strat in fully working order. I will find out in exactly 3 hours! Stay tuned...

Comment

Originally posted by longcat View Post
                          the bat strat-inspired partscaster ^^that guy^^ is talking about....

Longcat, that is gorgeous! WOW! The first incarnation of my modding my white strat was putting in a Blue/silver and Red Lace in it. It was my only axe for a long time, so I took out the red and put in a c5.
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1400371806006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	5777560

Here's the final result! I'm not too happy with the bridge, but it gets the job done for now. The lace sensors sound beautiful, the red is pretty hot but it's still very single coil-ish. The neck is absolutely amazing. I have another MIM Standard Strat, and this neck blows the MIM away. It has some finish on it that makes it much easier to play. It was a bit expensive, but worth it. The blend pot is really what makes this strat awesome. When I have the neck and bridge on, it is very much a pseudo humbucker. I hook this into my big muff, and THAT'S THE TONE I WAS LOOKING FOR!

Comment

Big changes coming soon to the project. An old friend was feeling generous, long story short the mim blue body is for sale now.

I'll try to keep the surprise a secret for now

Comment

Working...
                              X