Cleartone strings, opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleartone strings, opinions?

Any opinions? Apparently they've got a superthin nickel coating on them, unlike the Elixirs et al. I'm looking forward to getting my Godin's guts open to fix the wiring while I'm at it.

I'll also give my opinion on them when I get a good stretch on them.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Re: Cleartone strings, opinions?

Never tried them but they sound good from what i have heard

Comment

I like them, much more than elixirs

I've been back to uncoated strings recently cuz I got a deal on some GHS and d'addarios but cleartones are great.
      It's been to long since I had cleartones on to make any comments on any perceived sonic differences except to say when i switched back to GHS boomers I really liked the in your face tone of the boomers. Nothing *wrong* with cleartones and they last me like 3 or 4 months when uncoated strings last me 2 or 3 weeks tops cuz of my acid sweat

edit: I used to like elixirs but they don't coat the plain strings with anything last time I checked. They used to but they stopped. Thats been my issue, who cares about my wound strings if my plain strings are rusted?
      edit 2: just checked: elixir is finally back to an anti-rust plain string. 'bout time!
      Last edited by FuseG4; 03-30-2014, 11:59 PM.

Comment

I just ordered some. I love Elixirs, they're especially great for a guitar you don't play too often, because you wont wear away the coating and they protect against aging, so on account of that good experience, Ill give these a try and report back also. I wouldn't be able to speak to how well they age for a few months though, maybe a year if their product hype is to be believed.

Comment

I remember reading Cleartones aren't coated like Elixirs but differently by dipping in a chemical or something. I found a neat way to extend the life of non-coated strings. I place them in one of those small zip press type plastic bags & spray WD40 on them, leave them in for a day or overnight & then use them. They last me more than a whole month this way before showing black signs of rust.

Comment

I have been messing around with a set. They definitely are corrosion resistant. They have a big tone. But I find them a little harsh sounding (no worse than Dads), and the feel sucks, IMO. I did not like the set that came on my les paul initially, but figured it was the setup. Still do not like them, they have a real loosey goosey rubber band like feel to them compared to everything else I have had on the guitar.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I've used about 20 sets, they're good sh!te for sure. never played elixir to compare.

Comment

I use the acoustic sets on my Taylor, they're great! Nice smooth sound and they last a very long time. I prefer D'addario for electric, though.

Comment

try the new daddario's! they sound awesome! NYXL http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...a-ac7ffb8d85d1
                  Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
                  Basses: Ibanez SR605
                  Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
                  Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Comment

those may end up on the SG. I wanted a very delicate string for the Godin that seemed like it was an uncoated, but was a dirty liar. Like that chick at church. You know...that one.

mmhmm.

I haven't been to a church in 30 years, but I assume there are those type of girls. I used to go places where they were more evil on the outside. :\
                    Originally posted by Funkfingers
                    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I tried 2 sets and one of the wound strings went dead within 2 or 3 days.
                      The whole set was done in 2-3 weeks. I get 3-4 months out of a set of elixirs.

They sounded good but felt really grippy and slow for me

Comment

I won a couple of set, from here, a few years ago. I liked them very much, but, I had a problem with the ball ends coming unwound and fell off(!!!), and that was a deal breaker. I'm back to my Ernie Balls, and have also been using Dunlop, lately. By the way, Both guitars I tried them on had fixed bridges, so it wasn't like they were getting whipped by a tremolo... They have a lot of loyal users, so, my experience is apparently not typical. Maybe I should give them another chance?

Comment

I use them, they're my default go-to string

Comment

better than elixir or not?

Comment

Been using Cleartones for several years since they first came out. Great strings ,last long , sound good. Have them on everything I own (7 electric guitars,2 acoustic, 2 basses) A little pricey, I buy the cheap 10 packs of D'addarios for string break repairs on sale. Way better than Elixirs IMHO , I have tried many of the different types they make too.
                              Last edited by Oinkus; 04-18-2014, 05:55 AM. Reason: forgot to answer actual question
                              Originally posted by Oinkus
                              I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Working...
                              X