banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Every been tempted to just settle for one high-end guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Every been tempted to just settle for one high-end guitar?

There's certainly no 'one right answer' to the question, so much of it comes down to what it is you want or need to accomplish by playing guitar. For every gig where I see a rack of different guitars side stage and a very busy guitar tech, there will then be an example like Jeff Beck. One guitar, all night. Go back and see him the next night. Same guitar, all night. Go see him three years later...same guitar, all night. The three times I've seen him, the show was completely different, even on two consecutive nights. Different tones, different musical approaches, all brilliant. Granted, we can't all emulate Jeff Beck, but it does show what is possible when musicality is the focus, rather than what often amounts to tonal minutiae once it hits the line array. I can relate to Mr Beck in this regard, because I have used one guitar for most of my professional career. In all that time (33 years), not a single artist I have worked for, nor producer, have insisted that I must use a range of different guitars. Flick a pickup selector, change amps, drop the gain, add a pedal...I've done all of those when a producer has asked for a double track with a different colour. More than anything, the most important aspect has always been the performance, the execution.

Conversely, there are great guitarists who are constantly changing things up, and doing it well. Appropriate tones for particular styles or parts, serving the song with a broad ranging palette. But still the most important aspect will be the performance. The loveliest guitar with the most amazing amp, played with a tentative approach and a lack of conviction, will always suck. Always. A lack of skill or creativity will always be exposed, no matter how many guitars are in the rack. Armed with this knowledge and a commitment to applying it, the question of how many different guitars and what type of pickups becomes secondary, at best. Have as many, or as few, as you want. Certainly aim for the best examples you can find or afford, because they will best serve the performance. But I think we must avoid the delusion that a wide array of different instruments can ever compensate for inadequacies in the performance. There will be no prizes for being incompetent or mediocre on a wide variety of instruments. Once the focus has been squarely set on musicality, the number of guitars you need will make itself apparent. It could be one, it could be twenty. Take your pick.

Cheers...................................... wahwah
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
      I think we must avoid the delusion that a wide array of different instruments can ever compensate for inadequacies in the performance. There will be no prizes for being incompetent or mediocre on a wide variety of instruments. Once the focus has been squarely set on musicality, the number of guitars you need will make itself apparent. It could be one, it could be twenty.
      I don't think anyone here is saying that, at least I'm not reading it that way. You can just as easily be 'incompetent and mediocre' with one instrument; there's no inherent virtue in having one guitar. I don't see anyone having multiple guitars as trying to 'compensate', anymore than you can say that someone with one (on the surface) may not appear to be as committed. You can't draw conclusions from either: how many or how few they have. It's a personal decision, as is the genres you play. All that matters is what you do with what you have. One of the best Florida blues players I've seen (Lucky Peterson) excels on guitar, keys, bass, drums, and vocals (sometimes all in the same gig). All those diversions haven't slowed him down. Some people like more variety than others, others find comfort in what's familiar. Both camps have their share of good and mediocre players.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        there's no inherent virtue in having one guitar.
        There's no inherent virtue in having any guitars if they don't sound great.

Comment

never

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            I don't see anyone having multiple guitars as trying to 'compensate'
            Really? I see that a lot.

Cheers.................................... wahwah
            Highway Star
            Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
            Mistreated
            Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Without quoting Wahwah's post, I have to say I agree with his sentiments completely .... ultimately it's about making music. Some people are happiest doing it all with one instrument, some have a rack full of guitars. The average listener doesn't care, they only know and care about what they hear and feel. When you get your car repaired, do you care how many spanners the mechanic used, what brand they were or what their reputation is ?

Personally I have a few guitars, and most of them have some kind of sentimental values to me (and i acknowledge that sentimental values in instruments means nothing to some or many people ... but to me, they're old friends that have been with me through all kinds of life experiences and issues). Ironically, those guitars are probably the least-valuable in dollar terms, and my most expensive instrument, a Hamer Studio Custom, rarely gets played, despite being an awesome instrument.

Sometimes i just play one instrument all the time, other times i jump from guitar to guitar. None of it is critical or planned, because for me, the music is the most important thing, everything else is secondary. If the music, or the performance of it, dictates that i could do better with another instrument, i can pick up another guitar. Or I can try harder with the one in my hands. Should i ever be at a point where I only had one guitar, it certainly wouldn't stop me making music and enjoying the process.

There are pros and cons to owning just one main instrument, just as there are pros and cons to owning a whole bunch. But when you put the music front and centre, those things aren't so important in the bigger picture. Ultimately, i think of it like this ... you're at a gig or jam session, and your gear has gone missing in transit ... other gear is made available to you to use. Indeed the borrowed guitar and amp may not be up to the standard you're used to, and may limit you somewhat compared to what you can usually do with your own stuff. But those excuses won't wash with an audience or those you are going to play with. An attitude is going to come your way ... "You're a musician, aren't you ? Well here's a guitar and amp, make some music and entertain us. "

Maybe it's all about perspective.
              Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I want a gibson firebird, a unique and relatively expensive guitar, so to answer your question, yeah.
                Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

I've gone from owning one guitar, to several, to one again, and so forth, and I've realized I don't actually rotate them on a constant basis. Even if I have 4 or 5 on the rack I'll fall in love with one and play that one for really long stretches of time, and I'll only grab the other ones to work in songs in other tunings or if I go for the acoustic.

So the answer is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                    Indeed the borrowed guitar and amp may not be up to the standard you're used to, and may limit you somewhat compared to what you can usually do with your own stuff. But those excuses won't wash with an audience or those you are going to play with.

That reminds of a something I noticed when I started acquiring more guitars beyond the one I played all the time, and that is that when you only play one guitar your hands get so used to it that other guitars then feel unwieldy. I think people should not only have more than one main guitar, but make sure they sound and feel substantially different in order to keep your hands from getting too complacent with a single neck feel.

Comment

Just one guitar... Nope, not happenin'. I do admit to doing most of my writing on one or two. Something just feels right with my old strat or Alvarez when my creative juices flow.
                      MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
                        Just one guitar... Nope, not happenin'. I do admit to doing most of my writing on one or two. Something just feels right with my old strat or Alvarez when my creative juices flow.
                        I know that feeling, "we did before, we can do it again!"

Comment

From my Squier CV to my Parker Fly Deluxe. Too many nice guitars out there in every price range to just settle for one.
                          If I only owned one guitar at a time, i think I would be constantly flipping guitars. Owning a variety of guitars I think has actually kept the GAS down a bit.
                          If I get tired of playing one, I just put it away for a while and play a different one. No sellers remorse.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.heddatheband.com

New HEDDA CD now available:
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA video:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LuSksz-J8

Comment

I've narrowed mine down to my 80's Charvel, Epiphone Masterbilt Advanced Jumbo, and Custom Semi-Hollow Strat...gives me a locked floating bridge, a standard strat bridge, and then a nice acoustic. I went through a bunch of guitars, both cheap and expensive...narrowed down to the 3 that work best for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                              when you only play one guitar your hands get so used to it that other guitars then feel unwieldy. I think people should not only have more than one main guitar, but make sure they sound and feel substantially different in order to keep your hands from getting too complacent with a single neck feel.
                              I want to be there when you explain this to Angus Young, Brian May and Jeff Beck. If it weren't for that pesky CHS (Complacent Hand Syndrome) they might have got somewhere.

It's a cyclic argument really, because if you just play one main guitar, as many highly successful musicians have over the decades, you never have to bother with those unwieldy guitars, and the pressing matter of 'complacent hands' becomes a non-issue.

The more salient point is that there is no right or wrong in this, there is no 'should.' If you like to play one main instrument, do that. If you like to have twenty and play them all, do that. There have been ample cases of both, and all points in between, to prove this.

Cheers........................................ wahwah
                              Highway Star
                              Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                              Mistreated
                              Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
                                I want to be there when you explain this to Angus Young, Brian May and Jeff Beck. If it weren't for that pesky CHS (Complacent Hand Syndrome) they might have got somewhere.

The more salient point is that there is no right or wrong in this, there is no 'should.'
                                You manage to get a few digs in for someone so unbiased.
                                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                                X