banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Al C. How's that new amp your bro built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al C. How's that new amp your bro built?

Has the honeymoon worn off yet?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Al C. How's that new amp your bro built?

Scott it is SWEET. Now I know I said the other was SWEET. But this is SWEETER. Now is it really 16 amps in one (4 pramp options plus 4 power tube options)?? Not exactly, the power tube sections all run push-pull (some would say class A but the purists would argue, if anyone is interested go to aikenamps.com for a technical explanation of why a vox is not REALLY class A), cathode biased, no negative feedback. Now that you have built a few amps yourself, and hopefully toyed with the negative feedback circuit, there is a similarity this design imparts on all the power tube selections. There is an edgeyness that is just not there in an original blackface fender design, even though when the pre-amp and the power tubes are set identically. Now do I care, NOT EVEN IN THE SLIGHTEST. The thing sounds great. Check out the THe Thrill Is Gone that ALF and I did last week. The intro was done using the blackface pre- EL34, the 1st verse vox pre-amp/EL34, 4th verse marshall/6V6's, outro solo bassman/6L6's. Apart from the first verse all were pushed fairly hard and you can hear a similarity even though the different combinations. The 6v6's do break up much different than all the others, more compressed and smooth sounding.
    I am working on a song using much cleaner tones, the amp really does have a great chime to it. If my wife ever get over her flu and will actually sing the song I will post it. As usual don't hold your breath I am SLOW getting around to things.
    Good to hear from you SCott

Comment

Working...
    X