Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    ...the heat gun...
    Probably should not admit to this, but I actually used a small butane torch. I'd heat up small sections until they softened enough to get the chisel under them and then "peel" the finish off. It would harden back up as I was doing this, and I'd have paint chips flying everywhere. It was also very easy to overheat and burn the finish, which gave off some pretty strong fumes. I started wearing a respirator after the first couple rounds. Never again...

    I forgot to mention this in my last post: Nice work on those nut slots.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

      Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
      HAHA haven't i taken enough of the forums space?

      For anyone that missed it i am working on my handmade 31 fret prototype,

      No radius
      25.5 scale
      jumbo ss frets
      mahogany and maple
      reverse headstock



      And the virtus 36 fret which is almost finished, Just awaiting funds to complete it


      I also have many other projects awaiting my time and funds........
      Niiice
      Heavy Duty

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

        Working on a Strat project--mahogany body and neck with rosewood fretboard. Using Gibson ceramic pickups.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

          ESP/LTP Hybrid II right out of box Day 2 Tape job I sand the necks on my guitars by hand QA issues KNOT! Tung Oil Current Babicz TOM installed a little screwy drilled hole moved due to trying to find hole for ground wire had to fill and redrill bridge is a little bit out of line. Now it is waiting to install all new switch , jack and pots 500k push/push
          Originally posted by Oinkus
          I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

            Originally posted by ThunderLizard View Post
            Actually the finish on that guitar had issues early on. A few months after I had it built for me a bubble about the size of a half dollar formed in the finish on the back of the lower horn. That broke and exposed bare wood. A few years after that I let my brother borrow the guitar for a winter. He let it freeze overnight, was running late for a gig, opened the case while the guitar was frozen solid and CRACK there went the rest of the finish. The beautiful blueburst became a greenburst within 3 weeks and the neck paint started softening and shedding on my hand as I played it. Then a couple of years ago it was sitting on a stand and my daughter and a friend knocked it off snapping the headstock.

            The looks of the mahogany underneath has me thinking the guitar may just be refinished with a clear coat and just be done. Still thinking about a pickup change on it and am intrigued with how a Whole Lotta Humbucker would sound in it.
            yikes. Sometimes a cursed guitar just needs some TLC to make it feel better about the world and stop being so accursed lol. But on the bright side, if it's a nice piece/pieces of mahogany, that could end up looking really pretty with just a clear coat, or oil or shellac or something.

            Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
            Probably should not admit to this, but I actually used a small butane torch. I'd heat up small sections until they softened enough to get the chisel under them and then "peel" the finish off. It would harden back up as I was doing this, and I'd have paint chips flying everywhere. It was also very easy to overheat and burn the finish, which gave off some pretty strong fumes. I started wearing a respirator after the first couple rounds. Never again...

            I forgot to mention this in my last post: Nice work on those nut slots.
            butane torch eh? man you're brave. I would've been scared sh!tless of burning up the body. Even with a heatgun though, it's still such a huge pain. I was using a heatgun and paint scraper to get the thick polyester finish off an old hondo bass some time back. I think it took me like a week to get it all off.

            Originally posted by Oinkus View Post
            ESP/LTP Hybrid II right out of box Day 2 Tape job I sand the necks on my guitars by hand QA issues KNOT! Tung Oil Current Babicz TOM installed a little screwy drilled hole moved due to trying to find hole for ground wire had to fill and redrill bridge is a little bit out of line. Now it is waiting to install all new switch , jack and pots 500k push/push
            nicely done!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

              Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
              playability.
              The concept of eDrums is very sound and the technology has caught up, for the most part. The main problem, aside from the sounds the drum brain is capable of making, is the feel of the drums themselves. The lower-end eDrums are bad enough to make a person not want to play drums at all. They're essentially on par with Guitar Hero drums (and I know how to mod those to have them work as eDrums too).

              The top Alesis models came with "realhead" drum pads instead of the rubber hockey pucks. These were a big step up as far as feel quality but were waaaaay off the mark Roland put down with their mesh heads.

              Come to find out that you can take the old mylar heads off the Alesis ones and install mesh heads on them, which dramatically increase the liveliness of the drum to make it feel more like a real drum, and lower the sound output of the stick thwacking up against a piece of metal-backed plastic. I priced those out and was ready to take the $120 plunge to get a set of Remos or a set of small-business pre-made heads when I found a youtube that went a step further...

              Dog-proof screen door mesh and a thick string to sew it with. Take the old mylar heads off and slice the head part from the ring, then sew a couple of layers of the mesh on. Fiddle with the underpadding in the drum a bit and put it back on like normal, and viola a mesh head on par with the Roland ones I've played, only it's $20 for enough mesh to do all the drums and $3 for enough mason line instead of paying $400-$600 per mesh drum from Roland.

              It's really the difference in taking 5 year old, crusty 11s off and replacing them with slick 9s. Once you get used to the new velocities you feel like a god of bending and solos.
              That's awesome man. I really miss playing drums.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                Originally posted by CTN View Post
                yikes. Sometimes a cursed guitar just needs some TLC to make it feel better about the world and stop being so accursed lol. But on the bright side, if it's a nice piece/pieces of mahogany, that could end up looking really pretty with just a clear coat, or oil or shellac or something.
                I really feel bad for the guitar since it always played and sounded great. The wood underneath is pretty enough to be top notch furniture quality so I'm thinking a nice thin clear coat with maybe the neck just oiled will be a good choice.
                For guitars: '62 Fender Jazzmaster, '72 Gibson The Paul, '82 Dean V, '83 Dean ML.

                For bass: '84 B.C. Rich Bich with Kahler bass trem, Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez EX, '87 Schecter/Warmoth frankenbass, '99 Homemade bass

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                  Well, if you tripped across a set of Grover Pearl tuners for a sweet sweet price while hanging w/ Bass Medic and Startdeluxer, like these…..




                  And had a killer but cheap Les Paul Black Beauty copy, I'd say there is only one thing to do.

                  Last edited by Aceman; 06-01-2014, 05:04 PM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                    BTW that is my only SD equipped guitar , STK-1 set. They sound good but are not P 90s , sort of P 90ish more or less without the hum. Have to say for a cheaper type guitar the work on it is pretty decent and the XJ frets are spot on. In 5 years or so put some stainless steel frets on it if it gets played enough.
                    Originally posted by Oinkus
                    I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                      Mother &^%&^%


                      Can't find the bridge and stop bar! I'll be going chrome in the end….but at the moment, would have been nice.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                        Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Well, if you tripped across a set of Grover Pearl tuners for a sweet sweet price while hanging w/ Bass Medic and Startdeluxer, like these…..




                        And had a killer but cheap Les Paul Black Beauty copy, I'd say there is only one thing to do.

                        Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Mother &^%&^%


                        Can't find the bridge and stop bar! I'll be going chrome in the end….but at the moment, would have been nice.
                        that's a nice lookin axe duder. why do you not have a super distortion in the bridge?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                          I have been touching up my carving i did. This is the start of something big i know that much. I dont know how many more hobbies my wife can handle haha.




                          Not bad for a first attempt.

                          And here is my custom carved jack for my project, Its almost finished i just need to do another coat of shielding paint on the back and touch up the black.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                            My les Paul burst 'clone'
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                              Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                              I have been touching up my carving i did. This is the start of something big i know that much. I dont know how many more hobbies my wife can handle haha.




                              Not bad for a first attempt.

                              And here is my custom carved jack for my project, Its almost finished i just need to do another coat of shielding paint on the back and touch up the black.
                              good stuff man. the carving reminds me a little of Iron Maiden's eddie.

                              Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                              My les Paul burst 'clone'
                              damn, nicely done! Doesn't really look like it's on your workbench anymore though eh?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

                                ^^^ aiii thanks man eddie is great so that works for me. I cant wait to do a fully carved custom guitar.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X