banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

I like the way that came out. Very nice job. Gives me ideas...

Comment

Originally posted by backporchpicker View Post
      I am working on a transparent stealth guitar so my wife can't see it can't show because hopefully you won't be able to see it.
      Now I would love to make one too. And hmm even make some stealth stomp boxes
      Originally posted by backporchpicker View Post
      I am working on a transparent stealth guitar so my wife can't see it can't show because hopefully you won't be able to see it.

Sent from my SM-J200G using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
      JFG Flying V,
      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I have 2 of a kind that are sitting until I decide what pickups to put in them. They are a tip o' the hat to Fender's 'El Cabron' I saw for sale online. Trying to prove to myself that a Strat bridge pickup isn't the 'whipped donkey' of the pickup world. Or I may come to the conclusion that one of the guitars will require a solo neck pickup. *Pickups shown in the images were borrowed for the pic*.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	small mockup white.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	5796257
        Click image for larger version

Name:	small mockup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	5796258
        Last edited by toneupnorth; 09-27-2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Not many things look as good as a white Strat with white pickups and a dark pickguard with a rosewood fretboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
          Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Originally posted by toneupnorth View Post
            I have 2 of a kind that are sitting until I decide what pickups to put in them. They are a tip o' the hat to Fender's 'El Cabron' I saw for sale online. Trying to prove to myself that a Strat bridge pickup isn't the 'whipped donkey' of the pickup world. Or I may come to the conclusion that one of the guitars will require a solo neck pickup. *Pickups shown in the images were borrowed for the pic*.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]75351[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]75352[/ATTACH]

Not sure if you know, but you cannot use a Tele neck on a Strat- maybe it was just a mock-up?
            The single Strat pickup would work IF you used a Duncan Quarter pound tapped,or a Hot Rails.. if not, it would be a preposterous idea IMO.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              Not sure if you know, but you cannot use a Tele neck on a Strat- maybe it was just a mock-up?
              The single Strat pickup would work IF you used a Duncan Quarter pound tapped,or a Hot Rails.. if not, it would be a preposterous idea IMO.
              Traced the headstock on an aftermarket Strat neck and went to work with a tenon saw and sandpaper. Can't really tell with a casual glance. Neck is finished with Tru-Oil and the body has chalk paint and wipe-on poly. Pickups TBD, but I'll ask on a separate thread for suggestions. This aught to be interesting.

Comment

Traced the headstock on an aftermarket Strat neck and went to work with a tenon saw and sandpaper. Can't really tell with a casual glance. Neck is finished with Tru-Oil and the body has chalk paint and wipe-on poly. Pickups TBD, but I'll ask on a separate thread for suggestions. This aught to be interesting.
                Nice job. I like the look of the Tele headstock on a Strat. What about a Little '59 set in one of them?

Comment

Originally posted by rgand View Post
                  Nice job. I like the look of the Tele headstock on a Strat. What about a Little '59 set in one of them?
                  Thank you. It was my first attempt at modifying a headstock, but I have some experience with woodworking. I bought a set of Texas Specials; 1 will go into the bridge and the other 2 will go bridge/neck (a la Telecaster). The turquoise one is my lead-ballsy-Status Quo-type while the white one is slated for strictly rhythm. Bridge and neck on all the time with only 1 volume (push/pull for series/parallel) and 1 tone control. No switches.

There's very little rhyme or reason for this other than to keep the guitars simple and see what I can come up with tonally. Worse comes to worse, I get another set of Strat pickups and have 2 hardtail Strats to fart around on.

Comment

Thank you. It was my first attempt at modifying a headstock, but I have some experience with woodworking. I bought a set of Texas Specials; 1 will go into the bridge and the other 2 will go bridge/neck (a la Telecaster). The turquoise one is my lead-ballsy-Status Quo-type while the white one is slated for strictly rhythm. Bridge and neck on all the time with only 1 volume (push/pull for series/parallel) and 1 tone control. No switches.

There's very little rhyme or reason for this other than to keep the guitars simple and see what I can come up with tonally. Worse comes to worse, I get another set of Strat pickups and have 2 hardtail Strats to fart around on.
                    Nice work, there. I did the same thing with a headstock years ago. Been addicted to modifying since. That's the fun of all this. I also like simple controls. After all, how much fiddling do you want to do while playing?

Comment

Getting closer...

Providing nothing unexpected happens, the ol' budget says I should be able to order the rest of the parts next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by The Commodores?
                      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I like the inlays, BriGuy. Any significant history behind the design?

Comment

What's teh Nut-thingie?

Looks great,man!!!

Cool Decal!

What guts?
                          "Scalloped & Stickered"
                          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I like the inlays, BriGuy. Any significant history behind the design?
                            Lol... i'd like to say "yes," but the fact is that I purchased the neck on guitar fetish from their factory blowout clearance sale for $15. The inlays are the ones that came with it, but I thought they were pretty cool too.

Here's what it looked like when I ordered it:

Still want to do another coat of urethane on it and get rid of the waviness in the black, but overall I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. The grain is very pronounced on the fretboard... really sharp in person. We'll find out how good of a deal it was once I get it attached, but at that price I could hardly go wrong!

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                            What's teh Nut-thingie?

Looks great,man!!!

Cool Decal!

What guts?
                            I went for a roller nut because the neck was already cut for a Floyd-style locking nut and I wanted to cover the whole shelf.

...and I'm kinda geeked about the decal, it's fun to have something original and not too serious. My last name is George and everyone at work calls me "Georgie," so if you can't read the smaller print next to the BriGuy, it says "Georgiecaster."

I've been intrigued by the GFS Gold Foil Singles ever since I first saw them, so that's what I'm gonna get. Even have a super-custom wiring plan:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by The Commodores?
                            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Wow...

"Scalloped & Stickered"
                              A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

How did I miss this thread until now??? Great stuff!! (Unfortunately, I forgot all about the "like" button and I'm too lazy to go all the way back through it, so just assume I "liked" your guitar.)
                                Just this week I finished building a new, smaller and MUCH lighter housing for my old Randall RG100ES head. 1/2" birch plywood covered with Duratex coating.
                                A few months ago I finished the first guitar I ever built. The "finished" photo was taken before I straightened out the neck pickup and since then I've changed the bridge pickup three times. It's now cream. And I've made a few other small changes. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard, mostly chambered mahogany body with 1/4" maple top. It is very light (like SG range) and sounds really good.
                                This past weekend I started on a whole new build. Nothing to show yet except some chunks of wood. But it is lovely wood; I spent more on the wood for this second build than for the entire guitar on the first build. Will update as things happen but it will be a long, drawn-out process with weeks passing between each step as free time allows.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X