banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Hello forum, I have a question about stripping the Polyurethane off my Frankenstrat. I want to bring it down to the bare wood as it has an Sunburst paint scheme and i want to get it down to wood as i want to change it to a Pewter or a Lake Placid Blue as i am changing the color i want to spray a primer coat of white and then paint over the white undercoat BUT what would i need to strip the entire body clean? I'm in Canada so i need to know how to do the stripping safely as not to damage the wood and make the total color change easier. Any suggestions would greatly. Thanks

Comment

Hello Threaders,
      I'm making a homemade body, but with a stratocaster neck!
      I'm almost done, and I just finished up the wiring. It has purely strat wiring, from a stewmac kit. Its going to have a sting-thru hardtail bridge, and has tex-mex pickups. I just have to sand and then finish this puppy. I want to leave the wood looking how it is and use no stains, and I'm eventually going to lacquer it from rattle cans, as I don't have a high volume low pressure sprayer. It was made from a Stewmac knotty pine body blank and is loosely based on Jerry Garcia's "Tiger," with strat wiring of course. If anybody here has experience with this exact wood, or pine in general, I have a few Q's
      1) Do I need to fill the grain or use sanding sealer?
      2) do I need to do the above just to get the lacquer to stick?
      3) How high (grits wise) should I sand before finishing?
      Here it is:
      Anyways, I just can' wait to finish
      P.S. sorry for the crappy lighting
      Attached Files
      Last edited by The Posh Mushroom; 12-08-2016, 09:14 PM. Reason: Messed up all the formatting

Comment

My current project. Time to clear.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

This one got finished on Turkey day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

it's with great humility I present this as an assembly, not a "build", because I am only just putting parts together, not a master builder like some here. I will say t took me a long time to assemble parts guitar properly though.

Anyhoo, I had a Warmoth Koa neck up for sale for almost two months, and no one bought it, then this 3 piece Warmoth 4.5 pound Alder body came up for sale in the early morning a few days ago by a guy in Austin Tx., very close to me. I nabbed it ( the body) for for 250.00 shipped ( after ebay bucks) , which i consider to be a great deal . I thought, what the hey, might as well just hang onto that Koa neck and utilize in in a parts assembly and maybe I'll end up with something more valuable than the sum of it's parts.

I have many parts also in the drawer to minimize the considerable expense of hardware and pickups.

Well, here the Lemon Burst Strat body, Maple Top and also finished back- this is a pricey body new from Warmoth . I am going to include the mockup picds with the Insanely flamed Koa neck ( Ziricote fretbaord). I don't like the wizard profile on the neck, but now I'll guess I'll just have to adjust to it.

This one is going to be fitted out with premium hardware, and some Duncan SSL-1's pickups-can't go wrong with those- that's what the resident master Jeff puts in his "Old Dear". As far as pickguards, I do not want plastic on this. I am looking for most like a Maple, like the one pictured here, or possibly a dark Ebony.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by MetalManiac; 12-09-2016, 01:23 AM.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Lots of great stuff here!!! Peter, amazing, as always!! of course, love the black! Chaoz, love the grommets at the neck joint! Great overall too!!
              Rich, NIce Hamer!!
              Posh, cool Garcia spin off. Um, its back wards tho... haha
              Thebingopete, gorgeous LP!

Jerry, nice top on that!!
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                Lots of great stuff here!!! Peter, amazing, as always!! of course, love the black! Chaoz, love the grommets at the neck joint! Great overall too!!
                Rich, NIce Hamer!!
                Posh, cool Garcia spin off. Um, its back wards tho... haha
                Thebingopete, gorgeous LP!

Jerry, nice top on that!!
                Wait what??? How's it backwards exactly? I'm not trying to be rude, I just do not see how it is backwards. I even checked the photographs, and they weren't upside down either

Comment

Originally posted by The Posh Mushroom View Post
                  Wait what??? How's it backwards exactly? I'm not trying to be rude, I just do not see how it is backwards. I even checked the photographs, and they weren't upside down either
                  Some of the pics are reversed. Typical mushroom behavior if you ask me.

Comment

'Shroom, that pine is going to look great with a clear coat on it.

Pete, be sure you post a pic of that LP after you have that clear coated. Looks great already. Thumbs up to the SG, too.

MM, very nice Warmoth Strat going together there. Going to be a dynamite build. Good price on it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                      Some of the pics are reversed. Typical mushroom behavior if you ask me.
                      Lol my mind must have been addled

I'll let myself out.

Comment

I helped a friend swap a pair of Seymour's finest into his seven string and gave it a good setup, He called a few days later to say he had a present for me - turned out to be this nifty little rotary tool, makes short work of polishing frets and the resulting shine is much better than I was getting by hand

Click image for larger version

Name:	15591979_1013327015438516_1952248483_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	5797300
                        https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

So, so close to completion. More on sunday

Comment

Been slowly working toward completion on my JM. Basically, all that's left is to mount the Bigsby, get the neck on & adjusted and set it all up. And take the protective sheet off the pickguard, of course.

Name:	DSCN6521.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	5797302

Comment

Finished:

Name:	JM Finished 1Sm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	5797412

Comment

Originally posted by rgand View Post
                                Finished:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77398[/ATTACH]
                                Dayum!!! [emoji1303][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by The Commodores?
                                "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Working...
                                X