banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see some really nice projects displayed here. Compliments to you all. I figured I'd better jump on board.

This is a combination of all the things I like best in a Tele, Strat and Marauder (type II prototype body). Lightweight swamp ash body, roasted maple neck. I have to route the pickup cavities deeper because I made them too shallow initially (oops). Then I can get into wiring and assembly.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_163255.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	5806430

Name:	20180429_214051.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	5806431

Name:	20180429_215300.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	5806432

Just needs some neck sanding (too much relicing on it). Final relicing on the body plus amber stain and tung oil on the dents.

Comment

Slippin on some Missis. Mud and doing a pickup swap (Wizz pickups) on the ol' Koa 356. Feels good to be on summer break \m/

Edit: The end product. I have to order some gold polepieces, but I'm loving the change.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 05-21-2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
            Slippin on some Missis. Mud and doing a pickup swap (Wizz pickups) on the ol' Koa 356. Feels good to be on summer break \m/

Edit: The end product. I have to order some gold polepieces, but I'm loving the change.

Oooh, Wizz with white bobbins; I dig those. Gorgeous axe!
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              Oooh, Wizz with white bobbins; I dig those. Gorgeous axe!
              Might just be the LED bulb in my apt. It's more of a light cream.

Comment

Adding another project(s) into the mix. I should have a strat build coming up soon hopefully. For now: 1968-1969 Gibson SG Special. A rare and fortunate eBay steal.

Pots date to 1969, but serial is more towards 1968. Could be a transitional SG. I bought the husk only and she has definitely seen better days. The body suffered cracks by the control cavity and I believe it was spray painted black to cover it up. Its starting to peel, so I'll be attempting to remove it with acetone or naptha once more parts arrive. The goal right now is to see if it's worth restoring.

I scraped off some gunk from the frets, but need more cleaning supplies from my storage unit. I had some Kluson tuners in my parts drawer, so they got slapped on. A old lightning bridge from a melody maker. I used spare pots, PIO cap, and a cream Antiquity bridge. The pickup is jerry rigged for the moment, but surprisingly, the HB fit the route without any issues. Strung up with Dunlop Rev Willy 10s. Despite the wear, the neck feels at home. .841" at the 1st fret/1.02 at the 12th. Feels like your typically 60s neck, but it's on the fuller side. Sounds great unplugged, but will need a refret. The antiquity sits well with the SG. Once parts start trickling in, she'll be getting some vintage p90s ('55) in her. Will try it as a Special, but when I bought it, I did have the intention of converting it into a standard since it's going to be overhauled. She has potential. A diamond in the rough if I ever landed one.

I will probably post a thread once it comes all together, but I don't expect to get this one started until the Fall. I'll post an update once I piece it as a special.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 05-31-2018, 01:22 AM.

Comment

a build coming on

Ash 2-piece body, that stripe down the middle is totally natural! ...PRS shape

Name:	IMG_20180409_215132.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	5808417

Spalted beech top glued on.....

Name:	IMG_20180416_162759.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5808418

and....after dyeing...still some more coats needed at the top left for the fade into green. Thats with the ibanez wizard3 neck that will be going on

Name:	IMG_20180419_170104.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	5808419

more pics will follow when its complete! hopefully it'll work out ok!

Comment

Okay, so the SG is rocking a 3 piece mahogany neck. Definitely a '69 lol. One piece body and no volute. Acetone + Scotch-brite pad + elbow grease = spray paint/lacquer removal.

I'm going to use naptha and a SB pad to remove the finish off the neck. Looks like some sort of clear coat was applied to stop the finish from corroding.

The neck has tons of checking.. Seems like crime to remove it, but this will be my summer project. Already spoke with my tech/luthier, we're going to restore this in the Fall. Given all my spare parts and some of the work I'm putting in, I won't be spending too much on this. Especially since '69 Specials run for $2500-$3500. Standards for $4200-6500.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 05-31-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

More progress on the SG. The cracks are becoming more undone. Doesn't seem like it was a solid repair to begin with. The seller told me the guitar came to him as a project. It's more slow going and requires more patience. Trying not saturate the wood in acetone, but it also needs to sit longer since I can't apply too much pressure. Hope to be done with the body by Thursday.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-04-2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Haven't made a bass for a while and they sell well so ......

Name:	34371621_1478944512210095_318485513059172352_n.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	5808461
                        https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

Another strat build: 1998 Fender Strat AVRI '57 Candy Gold body. 1996 Squier MIK VN neck. Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon. Going for a single p'up Eb setup, but I might change it up in the future. Despite the heavy wear on the body, it has no checking. Will see if I can get it to check. The body was heavily played and used. The squier neck seems to line up, but not as much as I would like. May go with another neck instead. Did a quick mock up and it looks good so far. I might assemble it this weekend.

Comment

Checking

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-07-2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I'm waiting for inspiration and motivation to help me finish my tele hybrid shred machine. I have been consumed by racing drone builds and i'm just waiting on that to settle so i can get to it again. What i need to do is a custom job for someone else that might get me motivated again.

Comment

Here's a couple of pawn shop finds that I've painted myself. I'm still working on getting back in the electronics in these guitars. Hopefully they turn out well.

;>)/
                                sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                                X