banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Routing a battery box in a finished guitar ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing a battery box in a finished guitar ??

Was just wondering if it is possible to route a battery box on the back of a finished guitar without ruining the paint job or wood ?? Somebody told me it is not recommended to route a battery box in a finished guitar but I really need them as I want to install active midboosts.
    I have a purple quilt top ibanez and a neon pink ibanez and I'd like a 9v battery box routed in the back for easy battery access. 1 doesnt have a pickguard so I need some sort of routing done. I really don't want to ruin the paint or basswood body, even if it is only the back. Is it something a luthier could do easily or would they shy away from doing this on a finished guitar ??

p.s I use my tremolo alot so I wont be using a trem-block to fit the battery in the trem spring cavity. An extra battery box routing is the only option for me.
    -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
    -Hard Ash Strat Amdusias set
    -JPM100 x2 PAF pro/Super D + Breed/Transition
    -Vigier Shawn Lane Aph1-n/Norton
    -Suhr SSS Strat V60/V60/ML Bridge (SSCII)
    -RG7 BKP Brutes

Re: Routing a battery box in a finished guitar ??

If you have no previous experience with routing and don't feel confident, take it to a luthier. Otherwise, the job is fairly simple if you do it smart.
    Speak through your fingers. Let your heart play, not your mind.

Comment

haha I agree NEVER myself thats for certain!!
      -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
      -RG7 BKP Brutes

Comment

Yes, it can be done by someone who know wtf they are doing. The best place given your guitar's configuration is on the back of the body about 2 inches behind the tremolo cavity. You'll also need to swap your output jack for a TRS jack and wire the battery clip like you would for active pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          Yes, it can be done by someone who know wtf they are doing. The best place given your guitar's configuration is on the back of the body about 2 inches behind the tremolo cavity. You'll also need to swap your output jack for a TRS jack and wire the battery clip like you would for active pickups.
          Hey, why the TRS jack ?? In the wiring diagram on the Demeter website it says solder the -ive battery wire to the ring .
          Attached Files
          Last edited by evh_slash; 09-25-2014, 12:28 PM.
          -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
          -RG7 BKP Brutes

Comment

That diagram shows RING, which is the middle of a TRS jack. A mono jack has a tip and sleeve only. You want the TRS jack with the negative lead wired to the ring or the battery will continue to drain even when you unplug the guitar. The sleeve pole is denoted by the ground symbol at the bottom of the jack diagram.

Comment

Hahahaha, D'oh. Of course mono jacks are TS!! !!! My bad. Just realised how stupid that was on my part ! Cheers for the heads up... Its been a long day. :P
              Last edited by evh_slash; 09-25-2014, 12:29 PM. Reason: Embaressing mistake.
              -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
              -RG7 BKP Brutes

Comment

Originally posted by nightfall View Post
                If you have no previous experience with routing and don't feel confident, take it to a luthier. Otherwise, the job is fairly simple if you do it smart.
                +1 Without a doubt take it to and experienced luthier. My guy did this post finish and even reassessed it so the top was flush. I would have hacked it.

Comment

If you find someone to do it "right", have them put in one of these:

Comment

Is there something stopping you from just putting the battery in the electronics cavity? You really don't need easy access to change the battery, you should only have to change it once a year or so.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I love the whole ''you have to take it to a professional''

Seriously man its childs play. Make your template out of plywood. Drill out majority of the wood, Run your template bearing bit around. Whats hard about that?

I should of got a bravery award for doing it on this sabre.

Comment

Not everybody is proficient with a router. It's not exactly child's play. One slip of the router and you're screwed. Go too deep with the drill and you're through the top of the guitar. Not everybody is comfortable doing this kind of work. Seriously. Don't belittle those who want someone to do it for them. This isn't the first time I've seen you reply like this in someone's thread. Maybe take it as an opportunity to do the work for him and help someone out.

Comment

Not everybody is proficient with a router. It's not exactly child's play. One slip of the router and you're screwed. Go too deep with the drill and you're through the top of the guitar. Not everybody is comfortable doing this kind of work. Seriously. Don't belittle those who want someone to do it for them. This isn't the first time I've seen you reply like this in someone's thread. Maybe take it as an opportunity to do the work for him and help someone out.
                          No i am encouraging people to do things for themselves. It is easy anyone with half a brain can do it. At least in this case anyway.

As for helping people. I help people all the time with guitar stuff so if you dont know what you're talking about you might as well be quite.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                            No i am encouraging people to do things for themselves. It is easy anyone with half a brain can do it. At least in this case anyway.

As for helping people. I help people all the time with guitar stuff so if you dont know what you're talking about you might as well be quite.
                            I was working on guitars while you were still in diapers so whatever. I may not know everything about it but that's besides the point. If someone is not comfortable doing it themselves, that's fine. There are plenty of competent techs out there that can do it. I've seen enough, "oh, I can do this" attempts that have gone totally wrong that when someone says they want a luthier to do it, I point them that way.

Comment

I was working on guitars while you were still in diapers so whatever.
                              Show me some of your stuff then?

Comment

Working...
                              X