Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a Warmoth, need advice!

Originally posted by Rid
    Yep, Warmoth does not always provide what you purchased and GREG (Warmoth mouth) does not accept returns for improper manufactured goods.

I have a Better Business claim against them...

BEWARE!
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by hacker
      My #1 is a warmoth telecaster. I am absolutely sold on warmoth's quality. I would recommend a few things:

3) I strongly suggest the warmoth construction neck-they are very strong and the compound radius is extremely playable. They put the truss rod adjuster on the side now, so you never have to remove the neck.
      I was sold on the "Warmoth construction" neck too - until I inadvertently A/B tested it against a MIM Fender neck. The compound radius feels great and I like the bigger frets, so I put my Warmoth neck on my MIM Strat expecting to be happy. No be happy The sweet highs were mostly gone and the guitar sounded a bit flat - and this was with new strings. Popped the Fender neck back on a day later and the guitar sounded right again.

IMO - and it's just that - the thicker than normal fingerboard and the double-expanding truss rod on "Warmoth construction" necks eats tone.

None of these comments apply to Warmoth's "Vintage" or "Vintage Modern" construction necks.

Someday soon I'll order a neck from Tommy at USA Custom Guitars to put on my Warmoth body. Then I'll get the shape, frets and tone I want.

Chip
      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
        warmoth necks come WITHOUT screw holes so that you can do it yourself and make a perfect fit.
        hmmm...all of mine have come predrilled -- necks and bodies.

the worst that could happen is you glue the neck wrong and risk destroying part of the guitar body and/or neck
        I don't think it will work. Don't glued-in necks use dove-tail joints or something?

Anyway, why would you want to spoil the wood-to-wood contact between the neck and body with glue?
        This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
          Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just post here.

Is it possible to order warmoth necks and bodies without the holes drilled for the screws in the neck pocket, then glue them together to create a set neck guitar rather than a bolt in? What's the worse that could happen?
          There is really no need to do this. Typically, a set neck uses a tenon that is narrower than the width of the fingerboard and is inserted into a corresponding neck pocket. The fingerboard can then sit on top of the body and the neck set to its proper angle depending upon the bridge height. Having said that, I believe older Gibson's (Les Paul Jr.'s ?) have a neck tenon that was the same width as the fingerboard. In your case I could see one advantage to gluing it in. Depending upon how deep your neck pocket is you could carve the heel flow into the neck. This would remove the bulkiness of the heel. However, I assume that you have a neck tenon that is fit for a neck pre-routed neck pocket. You may expose the neck tenon if the heel was to be carved. Also, if you glue your neck in you will have a heck of a time removing it should repairs need to be done. You'll need to syringe water into the join and wait for the glue to dissolve.

Comment

Working...
          X