No announcement yet.

Phillips or Flathead mounting screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going Phillips, but flatheads have the vintage tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
      I'm going Phillips, but flatheads have the vintage tone.
      LMAO!!!
      '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
      Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
      '66 Fender Bassman
      Fender Champion 600
      Fender Stage 100

Comment

Nice to see solid comments here.

I do lots of swaps for people .. many are REALLY expensive guitars w/ beautifully figured tops .. like yesterday I put fralins in a 99 R9 ... and I always switch out the flatheads for Philips due to the simple fact that there is little to no slippage and even tho I have a steady hand and lots of experience .. I dont trust the flatheads at all. esp over a $3000+ guitar.

So, now I have a small box full of these flatheads that have built up over time, and it made me wonder if others felt the same wayI do.

I think the flats are great for the pole's .. but if we take a good look at a guitars hardware you'd be hardpressed to find a flathead anywhere else (gibsons bridges come to mind but thats about it). and I suppose being able to use the same driver to set the poles and the pu'p height would be a bit of a timesaver if you were doing production line work... but outside of this I fail to see the reasoning behind selling the worlds best pu'ps w/ sub-par mounting screws.

There are hex-heads in the correct size and shape. I'm gonna have to give this idea a try. thanks!

PS~ If you're stripping out phillips heads .. you're doing something VERY wrong IMO.

again .. I thank you for your responses!

~G
        "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

Hex heads are secure, but who the he!! wants to go digging through a toolbox for one, only to find out it's a hair too big or small.

Here's what I want to know. Why doesn't Duncan or another parts dealer offer a steel threaded insert that can be countersunk
          into guitars with no guards or rings? Changing pickups sucks
          on direct into wood type guitars, since you either have to strip out the pickup's end, or find a woodscrew that's smaller than the hole, which I have yet to find. Anyone know where to get one of these?
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            Here's what I want to know. Why doesn't Duncan or another parts dealer offer a steel threaded insert that can be countersunk
            into guitars with no guards or rings? Changing pickups sucks
            on direct into wood type guitars, since you either have to strip out the pickup's end, or find a woodscrew that's smaller than the hole, which I have yet to find. Anyone know where to get one of these?
            I hear ya loud and clear jonesy.

I always thought backplate and control covers should be like that too.. I think Carvin(?) did this for a while if not still .. impressed me when I opened it up..

esp. older guitars that have active's w/ battery in the cavity or behind the guard.. like my V.. and I'll say the battery swapping has taken its toll on 'er. threded gaurd mounting holes would rock!

I've seen the inserts .. I try and rustle up where it was I saw em.
            "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

Philips.

My Melobro dobro has replacable rubber inserts for the screws that hold on the coverplate. I don't know where you'd buy them but they work real good.

Comment

Working...
              X