banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Aren't there More Female Guitar Players, Especially Electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why Aren't there More Female Guitar Players, Especially Electric?

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but things like talent, intelligence, performance, playing guitar... all make a woman more attractive to me. Conversely, a swimsuit model in heels holding a PRS or an ML doesn't suddenly become a guitar player.
    The women I find truly attractive have a lot more going on for them than just something physical. I fell in love with my wife partly because she's a freakin' brainiac. Since we met she's earned two masters degrees. Sure, I still like getting her naked, but that's not all there is to my attraction for her.

I've got a massive celeb crush on Jenna Coleman, who plays Clara Oswald on Doctor Who. She's a talented actress, very intelligent, and geeky.

There needs to be a look in the eyes like something's going on upstairs for me to be attracted. Sometimes you get these girls that are physical specimens but when you look in their eyes they're dead, as if the only thought they've had all day is "I think I had too much lettuce at my last meal a week ago." Unfortunately, that's part of the whole bigger issue of gender roles that girls playing guitar is part of. Girls, from the beginning, are taught to be beautiful and serve a particular role, usually not a very productive one, and they have to be pretty or they're worthless. That's why even the most physically beautiful women on earth are photoshopped in magazines, because somebody somewhere decided that they're not perfect, and the message this sends is terrible.
    Last edited by GilmourD; 02-21-2015, 10:25 AM.
    Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post

It's not easy to understand this issue without more participation from women.
      Unfortunately, while informative, lively and irreverent, this forum is such a swinging sausage party it rivals NYC's San Gennaro Festival.
      From my previous dialogues with the few women who did venture here, that was somewhat off-putting.

This is one of the reasons I feel we need to start getting a little more polite than we have been before... yes, of course hot women are awesome. Big duh.
      But why can't awesome women be hot?
      See, I was under the impression that the ladies like the rough-and-tumble type. That's why we walk around ruining everything, right? Because deep down - love is all we want...and tube amps.
       Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
        See, I was under the impression that the ladies like the rough-and-tumble type. That's why we walk around ruining everything, right? Because deep down - love is all we want...and tube amps.
        My wife loves that I'm a pervert... But admittedly I think she's the only one.
        Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
          Masculinity and femininity are social constructs. Experiments repeatedly show no evidence whatsoever of innate biological predisposition or preference. Indeed, in some societies, an activity may be deemed masculine whilst, in others, it is deemed feminine.

Then, comes the degree of social control. Some societies forbid proscribed activities. Others do things to citizens to make the proscribed activities physically impossible.
          Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
          I agree with this–at one time in America a professional woman was unheard of, she was either to marry and have kids or be a teacher, nurse, or librarian. Girls raised on the farm were mocked as Tomboys and so forth.
          This is FALSE FALSE FALSE. Ifd you have not READ the studies in REAL SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS, STFU.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            This is FALSE FALSE FALSE. Ifd you have not READ the studies in REAL SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS, STFU.
            Are there any studies that conclusively prove gendered traits aren't a result of environment and upbringings? My understanding was that the jury is still out in this area.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The media have misled us all!
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                The media have misled us all!
                No i think the media has us right where they want us
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Drop some science, Ace. Chapter & verse. I want to know.

I think it's also important to understand that despite all our punditry and pontificating, this issue is SO, WAY, MUCH bigger than this itty-bitty widdle forum can solve.

We can, however, do as the late Mr. Palmer did.

sigpic
                  "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                  --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                  Originally posted by Lewguitar
                  In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Idea

Hello kitty bobbins.

Comment

You guys are all falling into the single variable trap. There is not ONE thing that drives this.

Let's get a few things going on here;

#1 GAMA wants to make money - bottom line. So let's don't get all egalitarian about this. If there was no money - there would be no discussion. End of story.

#2 The fact that there is a somewhat egalitarian motive is a bonus and can't be denied. But to really impress me, you need to take away the profit motive. Can't do that so we will never know. The fancy word for that is "confounded"

Now - a few other things….

#1 Men and women ARE different. If you missed this, you can't even start to participate in this discussion. They are biologically, hormonally, neurologically, different. They have, in general, different goals, motives, purposes, and focusses. They have different preferences, wants, needs desires and interests.

#2 We need to consider two bell curves, overlapping each other to some degree. Yes - there are very tall women, and very tall men. But the tallest man is taller than the tallest woman. Always was, always will be. And there are far more taller men than tall women. Same thing. So while we are different, we are similar. But to only some degree.

#3 Culture DOES make a difference. You can't ignore it. We are not creatures of Nature or Nurture. We are creatures of Nature AND nurture. But there are limits in both cases.

At the end of the day, though, the issue becomes which aspect is the most powerful as it interacts with biology, social setting, individual learning, and the issue in question.

This question is no different than the question of "Why are there not more female CEO's"

The very first thing you need to do to understand that is understand that THERE ARE NOT MANY MALE CEO's!!!!!!!!!! Just like there are not many guitar players over the age of 20 or so.

Next, consider the socio-biology of it. Males battle for mates. Welcome to planet earth. Women do not battle for males. Playing guitar is the social equivalent of being a peacock. Women don't need to do this.

Women bale on being CEO's the way they bale on the workforce. They are BUILT to take care of and nurture children. That doesn't mean that men can't. And it doesn't mean that women can't be CEO. It means that they have a fundamentally different purpose. At least most of them. Or a majority of them. They just effing like different things mostly.

You guys at GAMA sound like the women in C-level positions complaining about there being too little female CEO's. The FACT is that a great proportion of women are simply not interested in it. They are not interested in playing guitar anymore than any other instrument.

MOST adult women over 25 don't play anything. Those that do generally don't play guitar.

The reason women like to dance is the same. Why aren't there more male ballet dancers? Same answer.

Now - no doubt…there iare definitely cultural things that are part of the guitar factor. But let's rule out Biology first. FAce it: Metal = Aggression. Women are less aggressive period. Not all (No offense to Wendy O'Williams, etc…). Not all of them - but most.

And let's face it. People LIKE to be with their peer group. So to be a woman metal/rock musician, you'll need to be aggressive, enjoy the company of men more than women, and not bale on this crap for child rearing.

Are you guys now seriously asking this question? Want to throw in self-esteem as a factor? You should, because it is. Take Pigbacon. He has the self esteem of a gian sea slug. Yeah - he can chat here. Anyone ever see him on stage? And you never will. Consider women have way less and more fragile esteem than men in general. (not all, but many/most). So throw in a couple Alpha A-holes and now that one is out too.

Chew on all of that for a while, then get back with me. Remember kids - ALL of those variables are IN PLAY SIMULTANEOUSLY.

There are no more guitar playing rock chics for the same reason I don't run into a bunch of hog hunting chics with tac'd out pig guns.

Could you do more to make it friendlier for the FEW who MIGHT choose to engage in this activity? There is a hello kitty start and pink pickups. You have done enough. Get over it.

For every woman who wants more women CEO's, there are a hundred women saying "WTF is wrong with that chic? Just because she wants to have a penis why do I?" Of course, they won't say that to the CEO chic, because they have been SOCIALIZED to know it sounds wrong to say that. But at the end of the day, to be CEO is easy. Just takes time effort and motivation - that MOST ALL MEN do not have.

Same with guitar.
                      Last edited by Aceman; 02-21-2015, 08:18 PM.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

How DARE you speak truth in a PC world
                        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I get where Ace is coming from. I don't agree 100%, but I agree the differences between men and women are such that the guitar marketing world can't simply take more pix of female guitarists or hire more sponsors

My own view, based upon nothing other than being on this planet for a considerable period, is that women will never, in any serious numbers, get into something like magnet swapping. I know that's an extreme example, but everything else a marketer needs to know flows from it.

Comment

Aceman, droppin' some science on us!
                            Originally posted by DreX
                            Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                            The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                            There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                            Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                            I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                              Idea

Hello kitty bobbins.
                              I would be all over these.
                              Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                              The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                              There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                              Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                              I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by voggin View Post
                                I get where Ace is coming from. I don't agree 100%, but I agree the differences between men and women are such that the guitar marketing world can't simply take more pix of female guitarists or hire more sponsors

My own view, based upon nothing other than being on this planet for a considerable period, is that women will never, in any serious numbers, get into something like magnet swapping. I know that's an extreme example, but everything else a marketer needs to know flows from it.
                                Same thing was once said about girls and cars. You know how many girls are in the Ford Mustang community getting their hands dirty building their own engines and whatnot these days? Lots. I know girls who would prefer car parts and gift certificates to Summit Racing and American Muscle over flowers and candy. There are some SICK cars out there built and driven by girls.

Girls playing guitar will change once society stops telling them it's a boy thing.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk
                                Nope...

Comment

Working...
                                X