Tune-o-matic style bridges saddle direction question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune-o-matic style bridges saddle direction question

Hey, in all the tune-o-matic style guitars I've owned (including current) the saddles are like this (with the incline facing the stop tail piece):

Why do some people have the saddles with the incline facing the neck? Like this:

Soundcloud

Re: Tune-o-matic style bridges saddle direction question

Intonation purposes. In the latter case, you'll have a bit more string length.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
      That's pretty much it, though I prefer all like the first pic. It makes the likelihood of something corroding/wearing and inhibiting vibration less likely if the face is straight up and down. Ever seen a really old tuneomatic where the strings have eaten their way down into the saddles?

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
        That's pretty much it, though I prefer all like the first pic. It makes the likelihood of something corroding/wearing and inhibiting vibration less likely if the face is straight up and down. Ever seen a really old tuneomatic where the strings have eaten their way down into the saddles?
        Damn zinc saddles. I also prefer the first photo way.
        Soundcloud

Comment

The first way is the way it "should" be. Sometimes people put on their bridges backwards because they are ignorant. But mainly, I think, sometimes people flip them if they need to move the saddles back a little bit in order to get the frets in tune. (The narrower the bridge, the more likely this will be necessary; being someone who usually uses 10's at minimum, ABR-1's always have to have a few saddles flipped IME, but Nashville TOMs don't always need it.) The best way to do that is to flip only the saddles that need to be flipped, while leaving the saddle adjustment screws facing down the neck. But that is not possible on some bridges, and/or people don't know that it's possible, and/or they are too lazy.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

It's all about getting the right range of travel for intonation. Sometimes a string or two will not intonate correctly, so the saddle is removed and reversed. No biggie.

BUT....if you're working on a Gibson ABR-1, if you remove a saddle to reverse it, you'll need to make absolutely sure that it is seated properly in the bridge frame. If you don't, it will be a nightmare to tune, keep in tune, and intonate. Believe me...it sounds simple but it is easy to screw up. I've seen many Gibsons over the years with unseated saddles...even ones that have had pro setups. And BTW, it's best to remove the bridge from the guitar when re-seating the string-length screw.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              The first way is the way it "should" be. Sometimes people put on their bridges backwards because they are ignorant. But mainly, I think, sometimes people flip them if they need to move the saddles back a little bit in order to get the frets in tune. (The narrower the bridge, the more likely this will be necessary; being someone who usually uses 10's at minimum, ABR-1's always have to have a few saddles flipped IME, but Nashville TOMs don't always need it.) The best way to do that is to flip only the saddles that need to be flipped, while leaving the saddle adjustment screws facing down the neck. But that is not possible on some bridges, and/or people don't know that it's possible, and/or they are too lazy.
              There is no "right" or "wrong" way to face the bridge. Gibsons from day one using TOMs have had them facing either way. I had this question years ago when I first started playing Gibson type guitars, as I was confused which way the bridge should be facing. After speaking to local techs and calling Gibson I was told by all of them that it made no difference just put it on whichever way you want the intonation screws facing, and sages could be put in either way if more range was needed in a certain direction.
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Delete
                Last edited by toddincharlotte; 03-05-2015, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                  This and only this. No reason to reverse the saddles but to provide extra string length for intonation purposes. I recently maxed out the string length on a g string trying to intone an epiphone. It was pegged against the rear of the saddle journal and was still sharp. Flipped it over and I've still got room to spare AND it's in perfect tune at 7 12 and 15.

ONLY reason to flip a saddle.

Comment

For you guys saying they come either way, historically, the factory has done ABR-1s with the screw heads facing the neck and Nashvilles facing the tailpiece. Why? I have no idea.

Comment

It's because of the design of the frame and the size of the screws. On either tune-o-matic bridge you DON'T want the string to touch the back of the bridge frame OR the intonation screws as it crosses the bridge. On the ABR-1, since the screw heads are larger than those of the Nashville, it makes sense to orient the ABR-1 with the screws facing the neck, next to the pickup.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

+1 for intonation - on my Les Paul and 335 (both of which have Callaham replacement bridges), I had to flip a couple of saddles to get enough string to play with. And, while the Callaham did affect the tone, the saddle flip made no difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, it's amazing to me there are so many intonation issues with Les Pauls. I wonder why that is. On my Warmoth Les Paul guitars there is plenty of room for intonation play on all strings using the Gotoh tune-o-matic bridge and Warmoth's 24.75" conversion necks. Even on the Gibson Les Pauls I've owned and played there was never a need for me to flip the saddles for intonation issues. I understand over time the tune-o-matic bridge can warp and smile a bit as well as the saddles wearing down a bit... but big deal. Slap a new bridge on it and you should be good to go again. Perhaps it's fret wear over time?

Is it a problem with improper set-ups as in string height adjustment, stop-tail pieces that are tightened all the way down to the body (you know the old better sustain myth), improper neck relief or what? I find it hard to believe Gibson makes mistakes in bridge placement on their guitars.
                          Soundcloud

Comment

My Les Paul has 3 in one direction and 3 in the other direction.
                            1987 "E series" Squier Stratocaster (MIJ)
                            2014 Epiphone Black Beauty
                            2008 Ibanez RG370DXSP
                            Fender Stratocaster '57 Reissue

Comment

While I've never installed one backwards, I have seen saddles re-installed backwards for innotation. Also, some people like to adjust their saddles from the pickup side and others prefer the tailpiece side.

Comment

Working...
                              X