X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quality gear... who knew?

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Was the "new" fly one you bought from a family member?

I think a point that a certain individual missed is that no one is advocating spending a lot of money on gear, but rather the benefits of higher quality. I paid less than the new cost of an MIM, and only slightly more than the average cost of a used one.
    What of the benefits, though? The truth of the matter is that most of the concrete differences between budget and premium end guitars are matters of preference and aesthetics, such as nicer looking grains, nitro finish, steel metal parts, cloth hookup wire, niceties that don't directly effect the playability of the instrument, but that's at odds with a post like OPs that speak up the playability of a premium guitar when all the real actual benefits are largely symbolic or cosmetic. The tolerances in guitar manufacture have become so close over the years that you don't require a luthier made guitar to acquire precision in fret setting, neck straightness, evenness in curvature, nut notches, etc. The bottom line is that OP might not have liked his few cheap guitars, but they are not representative of all cheap guitars, and it wasn't necessary to seek out an MIA in order to have a guitar that overcomes those particular shortcomings.

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
      Chris, I had the same revelation several years ago. My #1 for the last 6 years is a Parker Fly Mojo (see below). I had the Fly Deluxe on the left until about a year ago. The only comparison to those and the cheap guitars I've had is that they have six strings and pickups.

Contrary to to the declarations of the Forum Pet(s), I put NO thought into the cost when I'm playing. I AM continue happy reminded how great the guitar is and how effortless it makes playing. It stays in tune with no real maintenance. It sounds great. I don't have to fight with it to get great sounds from it. There are ZERO manufacturer defects.

I don't need to convince myself that it was worth the cost. That's self evident.

Then again, I'm no materialist. The guitar is a tool. This happens to be a very high quality tool that gets the job done with minimal effort.
      Those flys are lovely guitars . . . love that they come with SS frets from the factory. They never seem to pop up used around here unfortunately.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
          What of the benefits, though? The truth of the matter is that most of the concrete differences between budget and premium end guitars are matters of preference and aesthetics, such as nicer looking grains, nitro finish, steel metal parts, cloth hookup wire, niceties that don't directly effect the playability of the instrument, but that's at odds with a post like OPs that speak up the playability of a premium guitar when all the real actual benefits are largely symbolic or cosmetic. The tolerances in guitar manufacture have become so close over the years that you don't require a luthier made guitar to acquire precision in fret setting, neck straightness, evenness in curvature, nut notches, etc. The bottom line is that OP might not have liked his few cheap guitars, but they are not representative of all cheap guitars, and it wasn't necessary to seek out an MIA in order to have a guitar that overcomes those particular shortcomings.
          Have you played any of the guitars I've been specifically referencing, or are you just making generalizations?
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Those flys are lovely guitars . . . love that they come with SS frets from the factory. They never seem to pop up used around here unfortunately.
            They never pop up used around here either. People tend to hold on to them especially the made in USA pre-Washburn models. Mind you the Parker NiteFlys were not inexpensive. They were less expensive than the Mojos but not a budget axe by any stretch. The Midiflys were going for about 4 grand when they came out.
            Last edited by Securb; 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              The Midiflys were going for about 4 grand when they came out.
              Still are.

I've never played one but I've been told that the Flies are absolutely lovely instruments. The way they attach their frets to their guitars is particularly interesting to me. Also carbon fiber anything is cool.
              Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM.
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                Still are.

I've never played one but I've been told that the Flies are absolutely lovely instruments. The way they attach their frets to their guitars is particularly interesting to me. Also carbon fiber anything is cool.
                They really are. They are ergonomically beautiful and the sound is amazing. You don't expect so much thunder from such a light axe.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  They really are. They are ergonomically beautiful and the sound is amazing. You don't expect so much thunder from such a light axe.
                  I've played carbon fiber double basses which sound amazing. I guess its a little different case because it's not electric but I imagine the lightness and the feel would be similar.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Have you played any of the guitars I've been specifically referencing, or are you just making generalizations?
                    I haven't made any claim to knowledge about your guitars, at all, so your question is invalid.

Comment

I haven't made any claim to knowledge about your guitars, at all, so your question is invalid.
                      The original post specifically referenced my guitars.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The original post specifically referenced my guitars.
                        All I know is what you've volunteered, they may have or had dead frets and don't play well, for whatever reason. To prove my point, all one would need to do is find an import that plays well and has no dead frets, and tbh, it would be a much harder task to find one that didn't play well, or which had dead frets.

Comment

So you are generalising then.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                            So you are generalising then.
                            There's nothing wrong with generalizing if the generalization is true. In general, domestic guitars have more costly cosmetic and token appointments, for example, I would agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              I've certainly never claimed:

Originally posted by Securb
                              My musical resume dwarfs anything you have done with your crappy 80s cover band.
                              . . . because that's an extraordinary claim. And would required . . . y'know . . . proof of that claim. And if I didn't provide that proof . . . I'd come off looking like an idiot.
                              Agreed.

And extraordinary claims (bragging) require extraordinary proof... of which (ironically) comes in the form of a couple 1982 tunes from the "Where Are They Now?" files.

God forbid he should post something recent; might expose his true self.

Not a big fan of Metallica anymore, but that line, "where's your crown, King Nothing?" really applies to him.

Comment

Just for the record, I'm well aware of the whole Drex thing (not that it isn't obvious).

But, you gotta give the guy credit. I just realized:

First, unlike many, he has proven he plays (recent clips he posted).

...and second, he never loses his cool in an argument.

Comment

Working...
                                X