banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone hotrod a CryBaby with Fulltone guts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hotrod a CryBaby with Fulltone guts?

I've got an old Crybaby that crackles which makes it virtually useless. They're great out of the box but they just don't last! I'm sure everyone has a similar opinion. I've been eyeing the Fulltone Clydes... love the true bypass but the price is steep. Fulltone's website is killer... they actually give you instructions on how to mod your existing CryBaby!!!

Ever notice how a wah wah colors your sound and messes with the other pedals' sound even when it's turned off? That's because most wah wah's don't have True-Bypass, muddying up your rhythm sound and causing your Fuzzes to fart-out and lose volume... even when your wah is switched "off."

Parts:

Carling 316PP Footswitch (for True Bypass) $14
    CLYDE wah Pot $28
    CLYDE wah Inductor $30

Still not sure if it's worth doing it myself or just buying the damn thing!! I've seen some used ones less then $200.

Has anyone ever done this? How would you rate the difficulty of the task (1 to 10)?
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: Anyone hotrod a CryBaby with Fulltone guts?

I installed the Fulltone pot in a VOX, and it was very simple, but then again, the VOX is a much easier platform for mods, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by sooperunkn
      I've got an old Crybaby that crackles which makes it virtually useless. They're great out of the box but they just don't last! I'm sure everyone has a similar opinion. I've been eyeing the Fulltone Clydes... love the true bypass but the price is steep. Fulltone's website is killer... they actually give you instructions on how to mod your existing CryBaby!!!

Ever notice how a wah wah colors your sound and messes with the other pedals' sound even when it's turned off? That's because most wah wah's don't have True-Bypass, muddying up your rhythm sound and causing your Fuzzes to fart-out and lose volume... even when your wah is switched "off."

Parts:

Carling 316PP Footswitch (for True Bypass) $14
      CLYDE wah Pot $28
      CLYDE wah Inductor $30

Still not sure if it's worth doing it myself or just buying the damn thing!! I've seen some used ones less then $200.

Has anyone ever done this? How would you rate the difficulty of the task (1 to 10)?
      I did the mods in my Vox 847 years ago using both the fulltone pot and the inductor...The pot actually wires in just like the one it replaces and the inductor was only 2 leads that get soldered into the pcb...The inductor and pot will set you back about $60 or so or more,but it was well worth it...I also put a DPDT switch in mine for true bypass,tweaked a couple of caps and resistors,and even installed a 9 volt power supply into mine...

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I use a stock Budda Bud Wah, which is basically the same thing.
        Budda simply sent their upgraded design to Dunlop, and had them manufacture them. The Budda is essentially a Dunlop, in purple and chrome,
        with upgraded pot, inductor, and truebypass switch.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
        X