banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good modeling amp for recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's a good modeling amp for recording?

sansamp classic.
    Down at the edge, close by a river.
    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
    Close to the end, down by the corner.
    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

i have the vox tonelab and i also have a behringer V-amp2. Price wise you can't beat the v-amp.... but to my ears the vox sounds so much better.
      '05 Gibson SG Standard
      '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
      PRS IRW McCarty
      '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
      82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

Question. Does the Vox Tonelab or AD60 head have any kind of a speaker emulation?

Comment

I've been using the Behringer V-am2 for the past 2 years for all my recordings and I can't really fault it...any niggles I have with "my tone" on my recordings is purely due to the limitations of the soundcard I have currently. In the next few months I'm getting a Bass V-amp for improved bass and acoustic recording capability (it can and will still do "my tone"..don't let the "Bass" part of it's name fool you) and the V-amp2 will be moved to my teaching area for my students to use so they don't have to use my Mesa DC-10....if you want some varied soundclips I have a couple of rough demos up at http://www.mp3.com.au/Gunner

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
            Question. Does the Vox Tonelab or AD60 head have any kind of a speaker emulation?
            The Tonelab does, but the amps don't. Also the AD60 head, since it's mono,
            only has one recording out. The AD120 is stereo and has dual outputs.
            As for emulating the real thing...you may be surprised to hear a direct signal out of the Vox that sounds better than a mic'ed amp. IMO the Vox modelers
            are one of the only ones that feel like a tube amp, under your fingers.
            The best of the Line 6 stuff is the same. I just like the Vox because the British amp models, Recto, Bassman and all the Vox models sound more realistic than the other companies. Since the circuit is a mini 12AX7 power section mated to the big solid state power section, the amp has better touch sensitivity. I replaced the Stock Sovtek 12AX7A with a really good pre tube,
            an Amperex, and tho it's hard to tell, I think the amp sounds a bit better than it did.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              The Tonelab does, but the amps don't. Also the AD60 head, since it's mono,
              only has one recording out. The AD120 is stereo and has dual outputs.
              As for emulating the real thing...you may be surprised to hear a direct signal out of the Vox that sounds better than a mic'ed amp. IMO the Vox modelers
              are one of the only ones that feel like a tube amp, under your fingers.
              The best of the Line 6 stuff is the same. I just like the Vox because the British amp models, Recto, Bassman and all the Vox models sound more realistic than the other companies. Since the circuit is a mini 12AX7 power section mated to the big solid state power section, the amp has better touch sensitivity. I replaced the Stock Sovtek 12AX7A with a really good pre tube,
              an Amperex, and tho it's hard to tell, I think the amp sounds a bit better than it did.
              I have the AD60. How are you recording direct? Using the line out? And what are you recording into? A guy on the patchtronix.com site posted this about recording. .....

"problem solved !!

With the Behringer Ultra-G.

This 'red box' emulate a power amp with a 4x12 cab so it is perfect to go directly from the valvetronix's line-out to the PC sound board line-in."

Are using just the line out?
              GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
              KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I use the J STATION for direct recording, it has some really nice modeling in it.
                Consider its ridicules price (under 100$ on eBay) it's a gift.

Comment

I'm just starting to use the Vox Valvetronix for demoing. So far, it sounds real good going straight into the board, once you get the levels, EQ, and input levels sitting nice. I run it dry, then add better reverb from a Lexicon later. I may start experimenting with going from the Vox to a mic pre to the board, or doing that alongside a 57 micing the amp. Everyone asks me for clips of the Bogner and Matchless, but my recording setup is in a place where those amps can't do their thing. Pretty soon, I'll be cutting tracks at a pro studio, so I'll be recording the tubes, not the transistors. Life is full of tradeoffs.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

If you have the cash, I'd invest in the original Vetta. From what I had messed with it a while ago, it sounded pretty darn good. I'm not one for modeling amps, but that amp did cover the bases pretty well. I think you should try them out yourself before you decide.

I never did like the Vox Valvetronix. Maybe inside a different cabinet it would sound good, but to my ears it severely lagged.
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I'm happy with the Vox Valvetronix AD60. It's easy to use and ideal for my living room playing because you can set it down from 60 watts down to 1 watt. Then you can crank the master volume and drive it without being too loud for the home environment. The cabinet quality is not that impressive, but I only paid $399 for this new and it is a big upgrade from my old solid state with a digitech RP-50 digital effects processor.

People considering it should play around with it. Some of the presets are OK, but you have to tweak them for your stlye and your guitar/pickups. One thing that's different about this modeler is that each guitar sounds different on it. The flavor of the guitar still comes through.

It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's easier to use than some of the computer-like modelers with way too many options and menu after menu.

The vox modeler is all simple knobs to tweak. It allows you to select the power level, and it has a tube pre-amp. All these features make it a good modeler to consider. I also like the classic look. For beginners it gives them a chance to experiment with effects and different amp styles. Later you can upgrade to the real thing after you learn what you like.
                      GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                      KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I use the J-Station also - in fact, I liked it so much, I bought two.

But it does have some caveats:
                        Johnson is out-of-business, so service may be "iffy".
                        Some folks on the J-Station Forum have had problems with the unit not powering up, or losing its memory. I haven't had any problems with mine.
                        Some of the best functionality of the unit come from using it with a midi-cable and a PC.

Overall, a great sounding unit.

Comment

I use a Johnson JM60. It has pretty good modeling and decent effects.
                          Also you can pick them up used for a fraction of the origonal cost.

Comment

Working...
                          X