Lets See Those Charvels - Old and Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets See Those Charvels - Old and Young

LazNovak, that comports with my experience. Is that a Soloist neck? It looks flat enough on the backside to be.

That Charvel looks exactly like the Pro Mod San Dimas I had.

Music Zoo has had some sweet Custom Shop Charvels with big chunky necks, but no can do for me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
      LazNovak, that comports with my experience. Is that a Soloist neck? It looks flat enough on the backside to be.

That Charvel looks exactly like the Pro Mod San Dimas I had.

Music Zoo has had some sweet Custom Shop Charvels with big chunky necks, but no can do for me right now.
      Yes, it's a soloist.

I like both necks but my favorite is my Warmoth. It's much chunkier.

Comment

Originally posted by LazNovak View Post
        Here are the necks at the fifth fret.

Jackson

Charvel

Sorry LazNovak, miscommunication here... I was looking for a comparison between 80s US made Charvel's (i.e. original San Dimas') not the model series. I have two of those remember? hah.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

No sweat. I'm sure this will be helpful to someone out there.

Comment

Here it is now with the H3 EMGs. It's missing the switch knob... It needs a little work.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
              A lot of Beautiful guitars on here, but.........
              I got to say this has got to be my Favorite so far!
              Raph, the mini 4P2T looks to be a split switch for the bridge HB, is that correct?
              Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
              If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by J E C View Post
                A lot of Beautiful guitars on here, but.........
                I got to say this has got to be my Favorite so far!
                Raph, the mini 4P2T looks to be a split switch for the bridge HB, is that correct?
                Yeah the spectrum has a style like no other. It's not for everyone but it grows on you.
                And yeah your xray vision is right it is to split the bridge.

Here is the diagram i did for it. It also has a shadow killpot

Oh here!

Or maybe it splits them all... Not sure what i did in the end.

Just checked and it splits the neck and bridge into singles.
                Last edited by kramersteen; 03-04-2016, 04:11 PM. Reason: fixed

Comment

Yeah, that's a killer guitar. I used to have an Ultrasonic p'up in the bridge of my Charvel back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                    Any pics of the process so far?

I had a MIM Strat that some kid tried to strip the paint...literally used a belt sander. Turned into a cool relic project but was a shame–Lake Placid Blue and great tone (after upgraded pickups and electronics)
                    Okay, soooo... question regarding the Kahler tremolo... The body did not come with. It's the Kahler standard (I think) where the front screws holding down the body are narrower in spacing than the two on either side of the cam (this is known, not guessed). Would it be acceptable to put a new bridge on, or should I dig and pray I can an original? Most of the parts are correct (probably not original, but at least correct). What say y'all?

To clarify: I have the body, no bridge, and would like to know if I should hunt for an original, or upgrade to a new one? Everything else is at least correct, if not original.
                    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                      Okay, soooo... question regarding the Kahler tremolo... The body did not come with. It's the Kahler standard (I think) where the front screws holding down the body are narrower in spacing than the two on either side of the cam (this is known, not guessed). Would it be acceptable to put a new bridge on, or should I dig and pray I can an original? Most of the parts are correct (probably not original, but at least correct). What say y'all?

To clarify: I have the body, no bridge, and would like to know if I should hunt for an original, or upgrade to a new one? Everything else is at least correct, if not original.
                      I checked your original post and it sounds like you have an '86 Model 4. Those came stock with the Kahler 2320 'Classic' flatmount, and the new 7300 hybrid uses the exact same route and mounting screws. As a bonus you can also tighten a set screw to lock it in place; a feature the original bridge doesn't have. My Model 4/2 mutt has the original 2320 and I've thought about swapping for a hybrid a few times.

On another note, I still have a Model 2 body and the original neck from my Model 4. The body has been stripped, and I'm seriously thinking about asking Swampy if he'll swirl it for me. It's currently routed H/S/S, but I'm seriously thinking about changing it to H/S/H and setting it up with EMG-89/SA/89R and a Graphtech Ghost Floyd.
                      Last edited by dystrust; 03-16-2016, 09:28 PM.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

If you want to upgrade, I'll buy the Classic off you... I think I'd prefer to keep mine period correct (with the exception of the EMGs being quick-connect ;-) ).

ETA: Ne'ermind... snagged one... prolly paid too much for it, but hey, period correct. :-/
                        Last edited by jtougas; 03-21-2016, 09:26 AM.
                        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

You could say I like Charvels.

Here are mine:

My #1, an ultra rare '95 San Dimas USA Model I Koa with Bare Knuckles and '91 475 Exotic with full Duncan PATB set

My Co #1, a rare '91 650 Custom with EMG 85/SLV/SLV (Steve Lukather...warmed up SAs) and EMG SPC mid boost.

San Dimas Style 1 2H:

And last but not least, the '91 475 that started it all for me (my first very good guitar):

Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                          Marshall JVM410H
                          Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                          Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                          ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                          Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                          Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                          Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                          Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Although 4 controls a bit too many for my taste, this cheap desolation has what I miss on San Dimases - a tunamatic bridge. Those fender-like hardtails are the deal-breaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171226_193540.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	5804598Click image for larger version

Name:	20171226_193553.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	5804599

Comment

The obsessive part of me prefers the precise action/radius adjustment and string-through-ness of a Strat hardtail bridge vs. Tune-O-Matic; but that's a really awesome looking guitar.
                              Originally posted by King Buzzo
                              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

A stop tail was also part of the compromise. If I could choose then TOM/string-through. But for under $300, I can live with lots of controls and stop tails if an axe plays good.

Comment

Working...
                                X