banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a cheap guitar just for practice. What's the best I can get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need a cheap guitar just for practice. What's the best I can get?

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    Is that the 'acoustic guy' look?
    IDK, but when I wear that, I get tons of chicks..let me correct that, I get chicks weighing tons.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Can't speak for everyone ..but I'm pretty sure if my first guitar had been something like this:

Instead of this:

I would'nt be playing guitar today
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

To the OP: Also consider old-school MIA Peaveys. Great guitars. Little bucks. Many peeps haven't caught on to how good these are.

I used to be the "Peaveyologist" before this forum turned me into a slut.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          To the OP: Also consider old-school MIA Peaveys. Great guitars. Little bucks. Many peeps haven't caught on to how good these are.

I used to be the "Peaveyologist" before this forum turned me into a slut.
          I hate those guitars. Every one I ever had , and I'v had a few, were practically unplayable.Necks were twisted . I think ther is something wrong with the trussrod on all those. YMMV.
          For 100% sure, go with the Ibanez Geo GX. Excellent cRc made guitars with unreal set up right out of the box from my experience.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Maybe he should buy a tuba. What are you guys talking about he wants an electric for crying out loud. Kidding aside, go for a used Mexican Strat or Tele. The necks and bodies are as good as any and they're easy to upgrade as your needs expand.
            Practice guitar for hours each day. Do that for years on end and one day you will make it look so easy that people who have never done any of that will say that you were blessed with talent.

Comment

Originally posted by DESERTRAT1 View Post
              Kidding aside, go for a used Mexican Strat or Tele. The necks and bodies are as good as any and they're easy to upgrade as your needs expand.
              That's why I recommended them. Cheap, reliable, highly moddable.

Comment

Originally posted by BX8a
                Way too soon and VERY poor taste, people have died my friend

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                  IDK, but when I wear that, I get tons of chicks..let me correct that, I get chicks weighing tons.

Hey, you get more for your money with big girls. And they do know their way around a dinner table.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by BX8a
                    This is what I love about this forum. The people are so diverse. I just joined Jemsite a month ago. Not much activities there. And the guys are kinda snobbish conformists with MIJ Jems shoved up their a$$...lol...
                    Jemsite is basically a private business. You don't agree with Rich or Jono? You are banned..

Comment

Originally posted by DESERTRAT1 View Post
                      Maybe he should buy a tuba. What are you guys talking about he wants an electric for crying out loud. Kidding aside, go for a used Mexican Strat or Tele. The necks and bodies are as good as any and they're easy to upgrade as your needs expand.
                      Even better yet go for a Godin Session Strat Made in Canada.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0467.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	5792373
                      If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post
                        Gotta call bullsh*t on this
                        Start talking to instructors then come back and make a statement.
                        If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Originally posted by Godin15 View Post
                          It's your claim therefore the burden of proof lies with you, when it's substantiated I'll reconsider till then my 'statement' remains that I call BS

Comment

Just my two cents, but I've found old "beater" Japanese guitars from the 70s and 80s to be excellent, everything from Aria's to Westone's to Yamaha's and everything in between.

They're generally highly underrated and a bit sleeper as most people don't know much about 'em.

But quite a surprisingly large number of them can be had for really cheap, well within your budget, and they are usually a huge step up from Indonesian guitars overall in quality, tone, everything; you just gotta make sure beforehand that everything functions perfectly and that it's in good condition, but that goes without saying when buying used gear.

Check them out, just search "MIJ" into eBay, Reverb, Craigslist, whatever you generally buy guitar gear on.

There's a reason why my username is what it is, LOL.

Comment

Jap guitars are effin' incredible, I wish I could sell my Fenders & Gibsons get what I paid for them buy equivalent tokai's and yamaha's and have a couple of pocketfuls of cash left over.
                              I hear good things about ESP Edwards also but am unsure whether these are japanese or not
                              *BUT older ones may need setting up/rewiring/fret dressing etc,

Comment

Originally posted by Godin15 View Post
                                I've taught several students in junior high and high school from my Church–the only one to quit on me was the only one with an electric–he was not exactly a "good" kid and he couldn't stay focused for 5 minutes for anything but dinner time or video games. He wanted to play electric because he thought my lead playing in Church was cool...but he didn't want to learn he just wanted to do it. Granted, a Church environment for modern CCM will 99.9% of the time have an acoustic but still my personal experience says your claim is not at all based on facts.

And its funny, I've had many electric guitar players that I've met who have asked me to show them how to finger pick–they love it and I encourage them to incorporate it in their electric playing.

Back onto the subject of cheap guitars for practice, I think there are a lot of good options on the used market–pawnshops were mentioned and I would also throw out Craigslist. Japanese guitars are incredible and some can be had for dirt cheap on the used market.

Comment

Working...
                                X