pot shaft diameter????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pot shaft diameter????

ok so awhile back i did a bit of work on a guitar and replaced the pots, problem is the knobs didnt fit. why in the hell is there not a universal pot size i mean humbuckers an single coils have a standard size? also even if there isnt how in the hell would i find out if the pots and knobs will fit before buying! i mean i have to buy all on web cuz a severe lack of music anything in my area! WTF is goin on!?!
    [shameless advertisement] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh1..._as=subscriber

Originally posted by BloodRose
    And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...

Re: pot shaft diameter????

Moving thread to The Guitar Shop.
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Reamers-R-Us is your friend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reamers.png
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	5792831

Edit (2018): I just realized that my post has nothing to do with "shaft" size.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-04-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I've really only encountered 2 sizes of threads on pots. And as I've steered more toward certain brands or even levels of quality, it seems that my experiences have led me more toward stuff with 3/8". In many cases, that means I do have to enlarge the existing pot hole. Just takes a minute.

But generally, most places should show some sort of spec indicating the sizes. If not, perhaps the manufacturer site does. If not, email or call them.

Comment

my issue is less the guitars hole size that can be drilled out. more the inability to put knobs on them

And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...

Comment

There are two types of shaft splines ... fine spline and coarse spline. CTS pots are fine spline, Alphas are coarse spline. Bourns are usually coarse spline. They make pretty much the same style knobs for both types so you should be covered for what style knob that you want. You just have to get knobs with the correct spline type.
            Last edited by Darg1911; 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I think it's more than just the splines- the Asian pots actually have a narrower shaft.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Ok here's what I did to make the Asian metal knobs fit my MIM 3/8 pot shafts

Drill bit
                By hand
                Slightly larger than existing hole
                Test
                Nope not enough
                Up 1/16
                Again by hand
                Test
                Nope
                No more splines
                Drill motor
                1/16 bigger
                Fits

On the first attempts I pushed the back off the pots trying to force it on
                Drill out to swedge fit
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I use the big CTS/Dimarzio pots and knobs from EMG (was ordering a pickup/wiring anyways so grabbed some flat-black knobs and rings on the same order). They fit perfect together.

I'm with you OP, it's like they just try to complicate things on purpose sometimes. IIRC the stock knobs on my rg-prestiges also fit the CTS shafts if I need a cosmo/chrome.

Carvin does about everything their own way of course lol. Smaller this, bigger that, different those.
                  Last edited by dave74; 04-29-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

never ever use a drill bit to widen a hole. use a damned reamer: those tools are made to enlarge a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                      never ever use a drill bit to widen a hole. use a damned reamer: those tools are made to enlarge a hole.
                      He's talking about the holes in the knobs not the pickguard or body
                      A reamer is tapered and won't fit into
                      A half inch deep knob
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I just use a small round file and gently ream her out a bit. Gotta work with what you got lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dazedandconfused001 View Post
                          ok so awhile back i did a bit of work on a guitar and replaced the pots, problem is the knobs didnt fit. why in the hell is there not a universal pot size i mean humbuckers an single coils have a standard size? also even if there isnt how in the hell would i find out if the pots and knobs will fit before buying! i mean i have to buy all on web cuz a severe lack of music anything in my area! WTF is goin on!?!
                          I'd educate yourself on the specific issue by reading this article (to start): http://blog.philadelphialuthiertools...uitar-or-bass/

As for why, it's because there is enough demand for various type of pots that it is profitable to produce them. Different companies and different projects call for different specs, and use different systems of measurement. The why of this is a long and frustrating story.....but you have to learn to work with it, because it's probably not going to change.

You know which is which because you read the specifications of the parts you are using, and/or you figure out that if something from one system doesn't quite fit, then the right part must be from the other system. Knowledge gained through experience will also allow you to see the differences with your eyeballs. You can usually tell very quickly whether a pot is metric or customary simply by looking at it.

Contrary to your statement, all pickups do not adhere to a single standard. They come in annoyingly various sizes, in both commonly used systems of measurement. Off the top of my head, I can think of having read pickup polepiece spacing specs that state (in millimeters) 48 (DiMarzio), 49 (Duncan), 49.2 (Gibson), 50 (various imports and Suhr), 51 (DiMarzio), 52 (various imports), 52.4 (Gibson), 52.6 (Duncan), and 53 (various imports and Suhr), as well as (in inches) 1.915 (DiMarzio), 1.93 (Duncan), 1-15/16 (Gibson), 2.01 (DiMarzio), 2.07 (Duncan), and 2-1/16 (Gibson). Confusing things more, some of those are conversions of each other, and which you read depends on where you're reading it. This is clearly far from a single standard, as you stated was in place.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-29-2016, 06:52 PM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If the knobs are loose on the shaft,use thin wall shrink tube.
                            Slip the shrink tube over the spline,heat it up and push the knobs on while the tubing is still warm.
                            This is one time the cheap,thin shrink tube comes in handy.

Cheers,PJ

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              I'd educate yourself on the specific issue by reading this article (to start): http://blog.philadelphialuthiertools...uitar-or-bass/

As for why, it's because there is enough demand for various type of pots that it is profitable to produce them. Different companies and different projects call for different specs, and use different systems of measurement. The why of this is a long and frustrating story.....but you have to learn to work with it, because it's probably not going to change.

You know which is which because you read the specifications of the parts you are using, and/or you figure out that if something from one system doesn't quite fit, then the right part must be from the other system. Knowledge gained through experience will also allow you to see the differences with your eyeballs. You can usually tell very quickly whether a pot is metric or customary simply by looking at it.

Contrary to your statement, all pickups do not adhere to a single standard. They come in annoyingly various sizes, in both commonly used systems of measurement. Off the top of my head, I can think of having read pickup polepiece spacing specs that state (in millimeters) 48 (DiMarzio), 49 (Duncan), 49.2 (Gibson), 50 (various imports and Suhr), 51 (DiMarzio), 52 (various imports), 52.4 (Gibson), 52.6 (Duncan), and 53 (various imports and Suhr), as well as (in inches) 1.915 (DiMarzio), 1.93 (Duncan), 1-15/16 (Gibson), 2.01 (DiMarzio), 2.07 (Duncan), and 2-1/16 (Gibson). Confusing things more, some of those are conversions of each other, and which you read depends on where you're reading it. This is clearly far from a single standard, as you stated was in place.
                              well why in the holy roman empire was this never explained!!!! i feel like this crap is common knowledge and i am eons behind. tell me in the future is youtube still grossly over populated by video game lets players!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X