Hot Rod Deville Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Deville Question

I'm definitely going to be investing in a Fender Hot Rod Deville in the near future. I am not yet positive, though, if I will go 410 or 212. My guitar teacher is strongly urging me towards 212. What are your opinions on the two amps?

Re: Hot Rod Deville Question

I've got some buddies I jam with from time to time - one has the 2x12 and the other has the 4x10. The 2x12 has better low end, but a little looser overall tone - especially in overdrive mode. The 4x10 is tighter and punchier, but less low end and some enhanced mids.

I usually prefer 2x12's, but in the Deville I like the 4x10. The cleans seem to shimmer a little more on the 4x10. Not a huge fan of the overdrive sounds the Deville's produce, but for cleans and light blues they're good amps. Plenty of headroom for sure....be carefull - that 4x10 is HEAVY.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

having played all 3 of the hot rod series for countless hours during my amp search, im going to have to reccomend the 2X12.

i like the 1X12 the best, but since u nixed that one, the 2X12 is my second favorite.

The overall tone of the 2X12 was slightly better to my ear, and they also look great stacked on another 2X12 extension cab. That setup is my favorite for clean of all the amps ive ever played. The 4X10 to my ear just wasnt as good, its hard to explain.

play them both, the difference is so minute i dont think u can go wrong. I like the 2X12 for portability, size, and to MY ear, slightly better tone. The cleans on both of these amps are great, and the overdrive leaves alot to be desired for. id have to reccomend to look at some other amps, for the money there is some better stuff out there, yes u will sacrafice "holy" cleans, but u easily make up for it in the gain channel, and if anything u lose some reverb, but im not a reverb junkie. check out peavey classic, crate VC, and some other used stuff...
      Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
      Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
      Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
      Crate VC-3112
      Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
      Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Never spent much time with either of those amps, but IN GENERAL, i like a 2x12' setup better than 4x10', i think. I'd reccomend you go and spend some quality time comparing them if you have a chance... do you have a place like Guitar Center nearby where you could check both of them out??
        '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
        Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
        '66 Fender Bassman
        Fender Champion 600
        Fender Stage 100

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
          I've got some buddies I jam with from time to time - one has the 2x12 and the other has the 4x10. The 2x12 has better low end, but a little looser overall tone - especially in overdrive mode. The 4x10 is tighter and punchier, but less low end and some enhanced mids.

I usually prefer 2x12's, but in the Deville I like the 4x10. The cleans seem to shimmer a little more on the 4x10. Not a huge fan of the overdrive sounds the Deville's produce, but for cleans and light blues they're good amps. Plenty of headroom for sure....be carefull - that 4x10 is HEAVY.
          I've got this Blues DeVille with the 2x12 arrangement and I agree with Jeff in regards to it's looseness. But it's great for blues (guess that's why they called it a "Blues" DeVille?). The BD also was made with the 4x10 setup as well while in production, tho. And yes, it is a heavy amp. Hope you have a strong back!
          I am also not a huge fan of the overdrive mode and very rarely have used it. It sounds too loose played that way, IMO.
          I've played through a few Hot Rod's, and if you're looking for loud you'll get it from that amp without a doubt.

-Bob

Comment

i liked the 4x10 better...but...find a place that has them both and play them...extensively...everybody is different!!!
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

4 10's vrs. 212's (24" vrs 40"). I like the 4 10's better. Tighter, and moving more air!MO go play both A/B and see what YOU like. Either way it will be a good score!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
              X