Vintage Marshall cabs question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Marshall cabs question.

Can anyone refresh me on what year Marshall started with the chipboard in their 4x12" cabs?
    F#@{ Clapton- Wenger is God!

Re: Vintage Marshall cabs question.

Good question. I've always assumed it came along with the introduction of the JCM 800 line, but I'm not sure. I know that the best mod for current Marshall cabs is to
    trace the back onto good quality plywood, add levant or black paint, and put some insulation on the back to kill standing waves and vibrations. Not many people do it,
    I assume, but that's the easiest way to make a Marshall cab sound perfect.
    Particle board on any cab = toneless mush. IMO, the 1936 2-12's sound terrible, since they're all particle board. I had one, and couldn't sell it fast enough.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

It was earlier than that. '75 or '76 or something like that.
      F#@{ Clapton- Wenger is God!

Comment

My 1982 (G12Hs) from the early 70s has a particle board back. Kenny at Solidbody told me that the new Marshall boxes are almost all particle board these days. The JCM800 cabs were still birch ply except for the back. This combined with the better wiring is why JCM800 cabs typically sound better than an identically equipped 900 cab.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
        X