Dunlop Picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dunlop Picks

i just got the tortex yellow .73mm 12 pack yesterday and im really satisfied. i like it for solos and they can handle th 52 gauge e string while playing thrashy stuff. theyre cool.
    we can be heroes

Comment

I like the Dunlop Nylons (.88mm).
      Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin Lee Fan
        They're called "nylon"

Seriously, that's the only thing I see on the pick. I use those too, but in a slightly different way than most I'd bet. I spin them around and pick with the grip end. Gets a really nice bite on the strings, gives a really expressive sound IMO. I use the gray one and teh black ones. If I want a really raunchy sound, I use Herco gold nylon picks. Super aggressive grip area!

i will use that same technique, i turn the nylons around if i want a that good grip. I mostly use it the "right" way but every so often i need to get a bit more out of one of those and it works really well and i think gives the string a different ring than just plain picking.
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Ha! That's great! I've never heard of anyone else who does this. You know where I heard about it? Reading an old interview in Guitar Player magazine (actually, the review was new when I read it ) with Mick Ralphs, the guitarist for Bad Company. He said he used the Herco picks spun 'round backwards. I happened to have some of those picks at the time and gave it a try. I've been playing that way ever since (20+ years). The Herco picks are hard to find now, so I've starting using teh Dunlop nylons. Pretty good results, but I always go back to my dwindling stash of Hercos when I want "that" sound.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's the one baby!!

Comment

dunlop nylon .73 is where its at
              Fender John Mayer Strat
              Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
              PRS Soapbar II SE
              Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
              Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Comment

Ultex picks are the bomb!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mr breaker
                  I like the grip you get on the dunlop nylon picks...what are those called?
                  I use tyhe Nylong too, i tried the Herco gold, but they were a little too thin, i use the 1.0mm and .73mm nylon, i am a metal player(obviously) and my old gutiar teacher showed me a trick with the nylons w/ the grip, u play them upsidedown and use the gripside, and it makes overtones/zakk wylde type harmonic things easier cuase it has more bite, i can do it either way, i jsut thought i'd pass that tip on

Comment

The Ultexes have a snappy celluloid feel to them; but one thing I noticed is that when they get warm they warp and eventually turn into a potato chip. That's the only reason I don't use them. BTW talking about the natural color and loosing picks, I bought a gross of the black Tortex picks... mistake I'm constantly loosing those things!

Comment

I've never tried the ultex. I'll have to check them out. Been using the green tortex sharps for years.

Comment

I was using .88 and 1.0 Tortex and 1.14 Gator Grip for years until I tried Jazz III Black Stiffos. Black Jazz III's CHANGED MY LIFE!!! I use those about 75% of the time now. If I'm not using that it's a 1.0mm Ultex or a 1.14 Tortex Jazz III.

For acoustic playing I use .73 or .60 Tortex.

I despise Nylon picks, mainly cuz I go thru them like water.

Comment

Working...
                        X