Floyd Rose Hollow Points??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Hollow Points??

Nifty or No?? Cant decide if I like the looks, but curious if they are functionally cool or not.. Experience??

These look better than the Floyd branded ones.

World's First Patented Floyd Rose Intonation System
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Floyd Rose Hollow Points??

Seem pretty neat. I see how the groove can help with the saddle flying forward.

However I feel like it would be a pain having to move the saddle while it's 'bombed'. To me setting intonation on a Floyd isn't that hard, more of a PITA than traditional no doubt, but I dunno...maybe it's just me. I've tried other 'tools and stuff but i find it easier just to take the time and do it. Last time I completely took apart one of my Floyds to clean/ re-thread base-plate I spent about 20min fine tuning the intonation.

With that said, I do they they LOOK pretty awesome, and look a lot like the JT-6 Trem on the back. And more mass is usually a good thing on a Floyd. If they weren't $60 US I'd buy em for the looks alone
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

With that said, I do they they LOOK pretty awesome,
      If good looks made a guitar play nice and sound nice, there are a load of guitars out there that wouldn't even stay in tune.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Nifty or No?? Cant decide if I like the looks, but curious if they are functionally cool or not.. Experience??

These look better than the Floyd branded ones.

http://www.blackcherryusa.com/
        all this hassle for a marginally more controlled manner of moving the saddle back and forth? Just think that you will set intonation 1-2 times in the life of the guitar. Only real use I can find is when the screw's threads get damaged then the mechanism will hold the saddle in place.

Comment

I think they make it look worse, and setting with the standard saddle-screw is plenty quick and easy anyways.

On the other hand, on the 1000-series and especially on the edge-pro those saddle-screws wear very fast if you change setups many times.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
            all this hassle for a marginally more controlled manner of moving the saddle back and forth? Just think that you will set intonation 1-2 times in the life of the guitar. Only real use I can find is when the screw's threads get damaged then the mechanism will hold the saddle in place.
            ^^^ this ^^^

for what they are intended to do, I'm having a hard time seeing the value. been using a FR over 30 years, so that aspect would offer very little improvement in the speed of the process.

I've wondered if that since they are brass components to it, if they would increase sustain. I've read some reports that suggest it might not be the case.

I think if API hadn't jumped on marketing them for FR that they would've fallen off the radar long ago.

Comment

Actually had my eye on them for a while, I actually planned to get them for my Swing EZ-10, the route was meant for a Schaller-type Floyd so the Gotoh one I've put there is longer than the route.

Never could justify the cost though...
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Yeah, cost is prohibitive unless the benefit would be good. I already have my floyds set up with big blocks and Ti saddles and trinkets to help sustain and all. Was wondering if there is much benefit to the adjusting? doesnt sound like much, if any. I also agree with what was said that they are reminiscent of the JT6
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

These would be helpful while doing a fresh setup on a guitar, but aside from that I personally couldn't justify the price to use them once and then forget about them.
                  They do look pretty cool though and they have that JT-6 vibe as mentioned.
                  87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

I think it's a nifty idea. Probably more useful on OFR, Schaller, Gotoh or similar where the saddle screw is located directly under the string. Modern Ibbys have them set to the side, IIRC, so I imagine intonation isn't as much of a hassle then.
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I think it's a problem solver. It's hard to achieve accurate intonation on Floyd Rose saddles without a wrench like that on a Strat bridge. It's not cost prohibitive either. EVH D-Tuna costs about the same and all it does is tuning down the low E to D in an instant. Same thing with brass block or granite block, it costs like 100 bucks but the benefit is bogus.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                        I think it's a nifty idea. Probably more useful on OFR, Schaller, Gotoh or similar where the saddle screw is located directly under the string. Modern Ibbys have them set to the side, IIRC, so I imagine intonation isn't as much of a hassle then.
                        The thing is though (with a standard OFR or any Ibby), that in order to move them you need to loosen the string floopy anyways, especially to move it accurately backwards in micro-increments, and when you do it makes no difference at all that the screw is right under the string.

If after slackening the string a bit you simply use your left hand's middle finger at the front (neck-side) of the saddle to brace it so that when you loosen the screw it's easy to control back or forward slide,,,,,,and just keep your middle finger there until you re-tighten the screw with the right hand.

The old system is already perfect for any well-seasoned floyd guy.
                        That said, these will likely make things easier and more accurate for those not-so-seasoned floyd guys, and non-floyd techs trying to setup a floyd.

My point= Great product for some,,,,,,complete waste of money for others.
                        Last edited by dave74; 01-22-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

True Dave74. to each his own I guess. But yeah, Im pretty used to floyds, so prolly is more beneficial to a new user..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                            True Dave74. to each his own I guess. But yeah, Im pretty used to floyds, so prolly is more beneficial to a new user..
                            I've been on floating trems exclusively since my first real metal guitar, a brand new 91 Rhoads-Pro in metallic-black with the Jackson hardware/pickup set.
                            But it wasn't until the mid 2000's that I really started caring enough to begin learning and noticing all of the idiosyncrasies of the Floyd system.

Before that I'd take it in for new-tuning setups and intonation set. But then when strings would start stretching and the bridge would drift from exact, and then the intonation would suffer do to the action change form the bridge being not quite parallel, and then ect..,..lol

Anyways, after being so unhappy with others setting up my guitar I decided it was time to really dive into it. pi

Comment

This might be a bit older of a thread but I don't care. I've read through this entire thread astonished at how it seems 99% miss the entire point. First, if $60 bucks is to expensive to justify get another hobby and a new job! Regardless of it being a little easier or not to set the intonation, you are adding mass to the bridge and it will add sustain and tone. Some of you are going to say it will be miniscule, well it all adds up. Several tiny mods making a miniscule of difference suddenly become a major difference. Not to mention I'm willing to bet for many that miniscule differe3nce is how good of an ear you have verses the difference it made in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X