• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ground noise

Boggles my mind how my gibson used to have zero noise with zero shielding

Comment

The LP was quieter because the toggle was grounded and the bridge was probably connected to the ground. You don't have that here.

Your shet isn't broken. I'm aware of the tiny piece of foil that you think is sufficient by virtue of its loose mechanical connection.

Again, you have to be as thorough as possible if you want to minimize noise. Shield the rest of your pickguard to prevent interference. Ground all your electrical components with a wire, in this case only your switch is missing. Build a chassis ground for the noise from the electronics to dissipate by soldering a wire to the bridge and a screw mounted in the body.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Put foil tape on the rest of the pickguard? Do you solder the tape together? Because I wouldn't rely on foil tape joined by adhesive - doesn't sound like a good electrical connection. Just making sure

Also, my mechanical connections aren't "loose" - they're as tight as the battery connection in your car

Comment

Again the gibson had zero shielding i don't get why it's so important here. If i run a ground wire from the pot to the bridge and to the switch should the noise go and i can forget shielding?

I never claimed my "shet" is broken btw, I just don't get how double grounding the 5way is going to stop a buzz when i touch a humbucker but i'll try it
          Last edited by brianhj; 02-21-2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Humbuckers can be good without shielding because the pickup itself is hum cancelling and also the wires are shielded. Also, toggles get grounded with a wire but for some stupid reason, people are racist against the switch and think it doesn't need it.

In your case, getting your chassis ground going will probably have the most effect. That means the noise from the electronics dissipates through them. Not that the body and bridge are producing noise that needs to be grounded out.

Next significant is improving the ground connection to the switch by running a wire to the base.

Last important would be shielding the rest of the pickguard, but it never hurts to be thorough.

Also yas, having hella continuity between the tape and even a wire to it can possibly be more effective, but I usually just slam the tape in and that seems to work.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 02-21-2017, 04:38 PM.
            I bought them for you

Comment

What would the chassis ground be in the case? A screw in the body? No offense but grounding to a screw in wood is ridiculous

Comment

The chassis ground is the guitar. Area of zero voltage where the noise from the electronix can dissipate. Did you read my last post. I said the electronics get grounded by the bridge and body, not the body and bridge need to be grounded by the main ground coming from the jack. And yas, getting a wire to the bridge AND a screw in the body helps a lot. I've tested it myself.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Alright let's say we remove the guitar from the equation.

Pickguard with pickups, pots and 5way mounted and wired to an output jack. Should I expect ground noise from the humbucker?

Comment

Yes you could have some noise in that situation if all you do is run the ground from the jack to 1 pot.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-21-2017, 06:24 PM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Be sure you grounded it to the bridge dude

Comment

Working...
                      X