NGD! The usual Dutch axe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! The usual Dutch axe...

I like the idea of guitars which are different: more forward-looking, more ergonomic, more viable ecologically... anything goes really. If it's innovative, I'll look into it.

Hence last year I got my first Aristides, a fairly nondescript 060 in satin Deep Sky Blue with Barkenuckles. The only concession I made towards fanciness is my standard inlay pattern. More on that later

Yes, there's a lot of hype around this brand. My 060 was the first one I played and I feel the hype is deserved (just please... if you've never played one, don't advise the brand to random people. Just try one. You'll see). I received it in February and it is f.a.n.t.a.s.t.i.c.
    As usual, of course: a hyped guitar will NOT cook you breakfast. Will NOT increase in value faster than the stock market. Will NOT make you a better player. A great guitar is just that: a great guitar. And like all high-end hobby enablers, it will make you more motivated to play, learn, practice, and perform.

Fast-forward July when I'm stopping by Amsterdam while on holidays (my family lives there). I figured I'd bug the hell out of Pascal (CS contact at Aristides, awesome bloke, and so much more), we'd been discussing ideas for a 070 but I was a little unsure about the 26.5" scale and had no way to try a similar guitar around. Pascal gladly invited me to the factory to take a look.
    I turn up at 11 and stayed until everyone went home.
    These guys did all they could to make me feel welcome, show me some reaaaally cool, confidential stuff they were working on. And be AWESOME company. They answered all my questions, but also asked me for my opinion on some incoming stuff. It's a truly special day when you hang out with people equally passionate about your what tickles your fancy.

Unfortunately their guitars were still being shipped back from Toronto; there were only a few in the office, but there WAS an old 070 which was described to me as, I quote 'an old piece of ....' but which I felt entirely different about: a very open-sounding, slick playing axe! This convinced me to put some writing down to that yellow sheet.

I went with a little more options to my 060:
    * At first I went with metallic blue, since no 070 exist in this color. It's stunning... but then I saw satin blue marble. And I changed it to that. And then I saw it with a burst. And then I changed it to that :P
    * Aristides Bareknuckles
    * Luminlays (I think!)
    * My usual inlay pattern
    * A flamethrower switch (off: normal wiring, on: bridge pickup straight to output)

Bonus:
    * Pascal and the team sent me a bunch of those 1.5mm Aristides picks which I love and have been the only picks I've used since they handed me a few this summer!
    * They've upped their strap game! My 060 came with a Mono Doolittle (of which I've ordered one for all my guitars since) and this one with a Mono Betty, a muuuuch more comfortable offering
    * I love those mono gigbags

Anyway there's dozens of better-written, funnier reviews of this guitar out there. What you need to know in cliff notes; it sounds great (very resonant, balanced sounding, without any unruly frequency spikes), plays great (I was actually able to lower the strings when I got her home!), and looks... well... see for yourself (it may be hard to tell from the pictures, but due to the very dark burst which I love, some angles have a hint of a purple hue to it...) by looking at...

...PICTURES!!!! They're terrible. Truly. But I live in a city which hasn't seen daylight in centuries. On the rare occasion a single ray of sun finds its way through the near-constant cloud cover, it never penetrates my apartment.

Re: NGD! The usual Dutch axe...

In the past I've not been convinced by scale lengths because having tried both 25.5 and 24.75 seven strings, I didn't really hear or feel a difference. I got my Schecter in January and I've been completely converted. 26.5 is the length for me.

How do those Aristides play? I looked at one for a future endeavor but I wasn't sure about them. Do they offer custom wiring configurations as well? I'm kinda torn between them and a Kiesel.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

They'll wire it however you want it

They play really well. 'Smooth' is probably both the best and lest useful way of explaining it :P There's no fighting against the guitar. The stainless steel frets make bending and general playing a breeze. Honestly, it's hard to describe; I want a good Strat to fight me a little: that makes it easier to describe. But with a more modern guitar like this, and more fine-tuned playability, it becomes harder to detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        They'll wire it however you want it

They play really well. 'Smooth' is probably both the best and lest useful way of explaining it :P There's no fighting against the guitar. The stainless steel frets make bending and general playing a breeze. Honestly, it's hard to describe; I want a good Strat to fight me a little: that makes it easier to describe. But with a more modern guitar like this, and more fine-tuned playability, it becomes harder to detail.
        No I understand completely what you mean. My ATX Blackjack is very similar (although I think it's before Schecter was using stainless steel frets).
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

That is one sleek looking guitar. I love the heelless neck for better upper fret access. Congrats on your purchase.

;>)/
          sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

never heard of the brand but looks cool. tell me about the back?

Comment

It covers the electronics cavity, which is much larger than on other guitars. The guitar isn't made out of wood, but entirely out of composite materials: she is molded, with the material being injected into a metal mold.
              This allowed them to keep some of it open, to lose weight, but it doesn't cause feedback or resonate much, it's just a little more air into the body.

The wiring is pure pr0n. Here's the electronics cavity on my 060 (their 6 strings model):

]

Comment

looks great!

Comment

That wiring is so ****ing clean. God you're pushing me towards them more and more.
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Aristides is absolutely epic. A true inspiration for my own work. Enjoy!

Comment

Beautiful guitars. They have a lot of models that use Duncans, too. I like that there is more and more companies using different materials with unique designs.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Duncans used to be their default pickups (Pegasus/Sentient maybe) but now they're in a partnership with Bareknuckle. Both of mine use Bareknuckles; the 6 strings uses a Crawler/ColdSweat, this one uses the BK/Aristides custom set. They'll pretty much put in whatever you want in there too.

Yeah I love companies that dare to go further! Also got a Vigier and a Strandberg, in the same spirit but different techniques.

Comment

Awesome, looks pretty darn slick! Enjoy.

Comment

Pierre, how do you like the 060 after all this time?

I'm seriously considering an order!

Comment

Still loving both of them! Just gave the 060 a spin today actually; hadn't touched it in a while (it's in D-standard).
                              Super resonant, neck hasn't budged one bit in 2 years, plays super slick and sounds huge

Comment

Working...
                              X