Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS CE 24 2007

Hello everybody,

I have the opportunity to buy a second-hand PRS CE 24 from the year 2007 for half its price in a shop, but I'm not sure, since the idea I had previously was to save money for the real thing (the Custom 24). However, I don't know if that would be too much and if this guitar would suit me better. Let's see what you think:

Currently, I have a Fender Strat Am Std and a Gibson SG Special because I want to have a Single Coil and a Humbucker for more versatility (I would try to sell the SG if I bought the PRS). My usual genre ranges from Prog Metal to Blues and I want a hot humbucker guitar that covers as many range that the Strat doesn't as I can.

The PRS is all in mahogany (no maple top). Vintage bass and HFS pups, push pull for single coil, floating PRS tremolo. Bolt on neck.

Thank you very much!

Re: PRS CE 24 2007

Brand new SE runs $500-600 new
    Used $300-400

By half price what do you mean
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Used, the USA made version goes for well under $1500. https://reverb.com/p/paul-reed-smith...B&hfid=4350646

But a used CU22 goes for well under $1500 too and is a better guitar, IMO.

I Traded a $1200 Strat for one a year ago. That's about what a CU22 sells for these days too.

Personally, I don't like the sound of the maple bolt on neck of a CE24 as much as the sound of a glued in mahogany neck like the CU22.

I don't care for the sound of a maple neck on 70's Les Pauls either. Not as much as mahogany anyway.
      Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-28-2017, 09:32 AM.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I'm going to get it for about $1k (and it is a CE, not a SE), so I think it is worth it. The thing is if it will be much more the same as the Strat I already own (equipped with Custom Shop in the neck and middle and a SD JB Jr in the bridge) or if it is going to help me cover more tone spectrum (which is why I would want to have a humbucker guitar). Especially, I would be glad if anyone told their thoughts on the pups, because I have not found much info about them...

Comment

Originally posted by ManuPuerta View Post
          I'm going to get it for about $1k (and it is a CE, not a SE), so I think it is worth it. The thing is if it will be much more the same as the Strat I already own (equipped with Custom Shop in the neck and middle and a SD JB Jr in the bridge) or if it is going to help me cover more tone spectrum (which is why I would want to have a humbucker guitar). Especially, I would be glad if anyone told their thoughts on the pups, because I have not found much info about them...
          Good price. Get it. You may or may not like the pickups. I liked the Dragon II pickups in mine...but didn't love them. I prefer PAF style pickups and the Dragon II bridge pickup is too hot.

The problem is you'll have that 5 position rotary switch to deal with if you choose to swap pickups. I just pulled it out in both of mine and replaced it with a NOS 3 way Switchcraft.

After trying lots of great pickups in mine, I settled on replacing the stock magnets in a set Seth Lovers and in a set of 59's with ROUGHCAST ALNICO 5. I'm very satisfied with that.

Personally, I think Alnico 5 humbuckers sound best in CE and CU PRS guitars.

Here's mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	5797917
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-28-2017, 09:46 AM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Excuse me
            I misread the OP
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ManuPuerta View Post
              At that price, it seems like you could buy it, try it and flip it without loss (maybe with profit), so I say "go for it!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                Excuse me
                I misread the OP
                Don't worry, what matters is to be willing to help. Thank you everybody very much, I think I'm gonna give it a try, but if anyone has any other opinion my eyes are still open!!

Comment

I did it! It was about two week ago and I'm so happy I did it! It's a fantastic guitar, everything I was looking for is in it. Thank all you very much for your help!

Comment

Glad you like it! CEs are great guitars and $1000 is a really good price.

Comment

Working...
                    X