Michael Kelly ultra-light (6 lb.) T-style, LP-style guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Kelly ultra-light (6 lb.) T-style, LP-style guitars

Michael Kelly is running a Kickstarter to finance a new line of ultra-light electrics ("Enlightened") that weigh around 6 lbs.

The innovations include:
    1. Unspecified lightweight mahogany-like wood
    2. Thinner bodies
    3. "Ports" (weight relief swiss cheese holes)
    4. Aluminum hardware
    5. New strap button positions to prevent neck dive

While Gibson gets flak for modern weight relief, Michael Kelly are going all-in, making the weight-relief holes externally visible. Wow!

The strap button placements interest me. The traditional endpin strap button moves upwards slightly, and the other strap button moves to the neck heel (like a 335 or SG). I am curious how this feels while standing compared to traditional button placements.

It's also interesting that they are making ultra-light T-style guitars. I have a Michael Kelly 1957, a damn fine T-style axe that, for me, is a little heavy - almost 9 pounds. However, it balances only just OK while I'm standing.

I think this is because (1) the Tele, like an SG, is inherently unbalanced, with the front strap button occurring around the 15th or 16th fret (closer to the headstock = more naturally balanced), and (2) 6-in-line headstock is longer than 3x3, so you have more metal and wood extending out there = more perceived weight in terms of balance on strap. So a Tele *needs* more body weight in order to balance properly.

If my almost 9-pound T-style guitar balances just OK, I'm curious what reducing the weight to 6 pounds will do to the balance. My first thought is to make the neck lighter by roasting it - but if one wants a chunky neck (as I and probably many Tele players do), then "more wood" might negate "lighter wood". But maybe aluminum tuners would lighten the headstock noticeably. My first thought there is the Gotoh Stealth tuners, but those are perhaps too $$$ for this price point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	5843503

A lighter LP-style guitar is a no-brainer for me. By LP, I mean set neck, mahogany back, maple top, humbuckers, 24.75" scale. I don't doubt that changing the mix of mahogany vs. maple top would affect the tone, but I would gladly accept the trade-off. I have played sonically dead heavy guitars and lively lightweight ones, so I don't equate weight with tone. Gibson has had some Lite (Studio, Custom) LPs over the years, but those are few and far between.

The PRS Singlecut is probably the closest thing to a lighter weight LP right now, but there are some heavier ones, and also, 25" scale and 10" radius aren't traditional LP spec.

I just pledged for one of the lightweight LP-style Patriots. I like Michael Kelly as a company and applaud them for trying to do something new and useful.

My current #1 is a PRS SE Santana, which is pretty light, as conventional guitars go, around 7.4 lbs. And yet my neck/back aches after a few hours of playing it while standing. Why don't I get that feeling after playing a heavier S-style guitar (over 8 lbs.)? I think this is because the S-style balances better. The Santana has the strap button around the 16th fret and thus balances like a Tele. Ironically, the Santana's balance would probably feel better if the body were *heavier*.
    Last edited by stratguy23; 03-21-2017, 07:01 PM.

Re: Michael Kelly ultra-light (6 lb.) T-style, LP-style guitars

I saw the FB ad for this, and I love the idea. I wonder if they can reach the same weight with a Strat -style or LP style guitar.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The animated GIF on the Kickstarter page shows their LP-style prototype coming in at 5 lbs, 6.6 oz.

But, yeah, it's interesting that they didn't tackle S-style yet. Maybe the big hurdle is the bridge - if you make it out of aluminum, does that negatively affect the tone?

The traditional thinking with bridge metals is that heavier is better (brass blocks, etc.). But then you get the Gotoh lightweight aluminum TOM tailpiece, which is a valid and opposite solution.

My guess is that T and LP styles are the most popular in Michael Kelly's lineup, so they're testing this concept with those first before possibly expanding to S-style.

Comment

i hate the look of the holes in the guitar. ive build some very heavily chambered guitars and it definitely saves weight but also changes tone significantly

Comment

At some point, a heavily chambered body can affect the balance of the instrument, too.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

yep. mine has a pretty chunky maple/rw neck but i made the headstock small as i could and used light open back tuners to try and keep neck dive down

Comment

Ships only to the United States.

Too bad, might have been tempted, still very much like my Patriot Limited (a very light guitar itself)
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Been a MK follower for awhile.. They have been trying to put alot of effort into this to retain tonal properties, sustain and balance. If I had the expendable cash, Id treat my glass back to one.

Manos,
                My BFAM, long time no speak.. Sorry.. Hey if you are seriously interested and can swing shipping, have it sent to me and I will forward.. I sold a guitar to a fellow in another country once. He was impressed with my packing and we struck up a friendship.. Long story short, he bought a ton of guitars, had them sent to me first, to make sure they werent damaged and packed well and I sent them on. He bought a bunch that were US only and I forwarded..
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                X