X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What finish is this?

Hey everyone!

New to the forum and first post!

Bought a used Warmoth LP build (Warmoth LP style basswood body with Warmoth LP style maple/maple neck - 25.5", 1-11/16", SS, Wolfgang profile) with EVH Wolfgang pups that arrived last week. However, I have no clue what this finish is! The body is pretty light being basswood, but so is the paint (I assume). I'm pretty un-knowledgeable when it comes to finishes and was hoping somebody here could throw some light.

Also, it arrived with the nut being some good 3-4 mm off/away from the fretboard from all sides and it broke off mid-way the 2nd day. Took me 2 days to scrape off all the glue (first-time nut installer) and then file and glue-in a TUSQ XL (last 3 pics). Let me know if you think it's still a poor job that needs fixing.
    Attached Files

Re: What finish is this?

I got detracted and i'm just here thinking how much better the lp design looks with maple and none of that tardis binding.

Comment

I'd say a home rattlecan job myself.
      The tuners have been installed before the paint was dry - look at the ripples as the bushing nuts were tightened.

The body also looks like it has not quite been sanded enough before finishing too - the white has gouges in it that are under the paint.

All in all a 3/10 effort on that one - I hope it was cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
        I got detracted and i'm just here thinking how much better the lp design looks with maple and none of that tardis binding.
        I've always been on the rosewood/ebony camp but yeah, the maple board and neck does look good on an lp (even on this one with this rubbery sort of paint)

Comment

Sigh! I feared so.

What do you think are my options? Will look into some online resources about how to strip finishes and reapply them (or maybe just oil?). Please feel free to recommend something

Also, apart from the looks of it, does it make any difference to the overall instrument in terms of quality and tone?

The only saving grace was that I got it for $260. I think it was a good deal given a Warmoth neck (with SS frets), Warmoth body with decent pups and some basic wiring. Again, feel free to let me know otherwise - will be a valid lesson for the future.

Comment

The stuff might come off easily....either with a chemical stripper or simply using an orbital sander.

Unless the finish is layered on like fender poly used to be done, I can't see it having any tonal effect at all.
            As to a refin - well basswood is pretty dull looks wise. It would probably be ok to stain the body first then apply oil if you want something interesting. Otherwise you will be looking at a guitar with all the interest of MDF.

Comment

That's what's called a **** job.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'm betting on latex house paint or plastidip, other paints don't stretch like that around the tuner bushings. If you're lucky it might just peel off.

Comment

Looks like latex house paint to me. The way it's stretching, looks like there's no primer, so you probably could just peel it off clean.
                  Last edited by beaubrummels; 03-26-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

It's almost falling off on its own so I can't imagine stripping it would be hard

Comment

A Gibson M2 is only $399

I'm so sorry, it should strip off easily
                      Try a putty knife followed by acetone (the clear version of PVC pipe primer)

MEK works too
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Do you hate it? If you like the color then feel free to leave it just the way it is. Like AlexR said, it should not have an effect on the sound of the guitar so the only reason to refinish is if you really don't like it.
                        And yes, I'd say you got a good deal. You could sell the parts for that much, or more.
                        If you want it to look spectacular then strip, sand, and have it finished by someone experienced.
                        I do think it would be worth repainting the headstock, though. That is a MUCH smaller, easier job.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          Looks like latex house paint to me. The way it's stretching, looks like there's no primer, so you probably could just peel it off clean.
                          For $260, I'd consider it a Warmoth that needs to be stripped and refinished.

It sounds like a hassle, but as a bargain goes, it's par for the course.

I'd strip it and go for pelham blue, black, charcoal, or British racing green if I had my choice.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                            The stuff might come off easily....either with a chemical stripper or simply using an orbital sander.

Unless the finish is layered on like fender poly used to be done, I can't see it having any tonal effect at all.
                            As to a refin - well basswood is pretty dull looks wise. It would probably be ok to stain the body first then apply oil if you want something interesting. Otherwise you will be looking at a guitar with all the interest of MDF.
                            Thanks! I'll have to look into how to strip and stain/finish. Feel free to suggest any resources

Comment

Originally posted by akio View Post
                              I'm betting on latex house paint or plastidip, other paints don't stretch like that around the tuner bushings. If you're lucky it might just peel off.
                              Thanks! I wonder if the headstock was finished differently than the body.

Comment

Working...
                              X