NGD: Epiphone MIJ 12-String!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Epiphone MIJ 12-String!

A few weeks ago I was at my favorite shop when I saw they were selling an Epiphone 12 string for about $100, I fell in love with the sound instantly but by the time I came back the next week wih enough to buy it, the guys told me it sold.

Fast foward to today and I arrived home with this sitting on my bed:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_165000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	5843562

Since I would not be in town for my birthday next week, my family surprised me by giving me the exact same 12 string from the shop! It came as a massive shock when I first saw it, I couldn't believe it.

I'm not too sure what year it is though, it's a Made in Japan Model: PR-650-12-N
    Last edited by arath060; 03-31-2017, 03:51 PM.

Re: NGD: Epiphone MIJ 12-String!

Nice guitar, and a great story! BTW....I could be adopted...for the right guitar!

With a 12-string, you just have to make sure that the nut action is low and even across the board. Not just for great playability, but it will help keeping it in tune.

I have a pair of Takamine EF381SC 12-strings, nice guitars, but I don't get to play them every day...I have way too many guitars. (If there could possibly be such a thing! LOL!) For the guitars I don't play as often, I use D'Addario EXP Phosphor Bronze strings. These will keep their tone for a long time. They also make an 80/20 Brass set, but I prefer the PB sets for their longer life and superior sustain. I use the regular gauge, which I think is a 10-47. I tune to standard pitch...the Taks are pretty sturdy. Depending on the condition of your guitar, you might want consider tuning down a half-step or more. One of my friends fingerpicks a 12-string in DADGAD tuning and creates beautiful stuff.

And you'll probably want a capo: Shubb makes a 12-string capo. It's a lever action (no springs to lose tension) and has minimal effect on tuning.

All that's left is to learn "Mr. Tambourine Man" and some John Denver songs! People love the sound of a 12-string...I've made some money with mine. And they're great to add some layering to your recordings.

Have fun! (I think I'll get mine out!)

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Re: NGD: Epiphone MIJ 12-String!

Very very nice. Looks like it could be an old '60's guitar for all anyone knows.

And following on the theme of tuning, (I have a couple acoustic 12-ers, so I feel justified in telling this joke)...

"How long does it take a folk singer to tune a 12-string?"

...Nobody knows.

Comment

Working...
      X