Considering to make a neck-thru V guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering to make a neck-thru V guitar

I was considering Limba, but quarter sawn Limba/Korina is kind of out of my budget. Wouldnt mind spending that cash if I got more than 3BF, but I doubt it. Before we get into the debateabout tone wood not mattering on electrics, it does I've heard the difference, plugged and unplugged. I do agree pickups matter slightly more, but just slightly.

I've looked around, but what would be my best options?

I have most of the lumber I need, just trying to get a warm body wood, but should I go warmer.

For the neck-thru blank I'm considering 3pc or 5pc maple/padouck or 3pc padouck/American black walnut/padouck or5pc of the same. To clarify the place I get padouck from selling for 8 USD aboard foot.

I plan on making stringers as well. Also I plan on putting some good pickups in this with a hum/hum setup. I'm considering:

Passives: SD Pegasus & Sentient set, SD Alpha & Mega, SD Blackwinter(No, I'm not a black metal fan, just supposed by clarity and articulation), Dimarzio Titans, Lace Nitro-Hemi, Lace Finger Burners, Lace Dragonauts, Lace Drop of Nitro set, Bareknuckle War Pig.

Actives: SD Blackouts, SD Livewire 2, SD Duality, EMG Retroactives,EMG x series 81, 60, Fishman Fluence modern, Fishman Fluence Killswith engage.

Remember those are pickups I'm considering. I don't own all those sets. Also I listed mostly to all sets I've listened to demos of or were updated versions of demos I've listened to that would sound good theoretically. Which is why I'm asking for input. If it's any consolation or makes it easier to make suggestions:

I plan on adding a 20db gain toggle from EMG whether I use passives or actives. If there is a way to set up the active tone used for Emg X series on passives let me know,m onsidering an audio relay, but that's fir a different build, would like to do extended testing first, but I can deal with passive circuitry.

I will build this at my own pace as I aquire hardware. I plan on using a stud mounted kahler although I've only ever tried Floyds, and it fits ore flushed. Now no debating the Floyd vs Kahler just a heads up.

I just really need a good wood to use in place of Limba/Korina. I plan on using a top board/cap to be
    An excellent things out.

As far as music I plan on this being a hard rock V, but also good for other heavy genres.

I'm looking for presence, articulation, percussive attack, and the on board 20db gain just for fun.

Thanks and while that was long winded hope this gets me some help.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Re: Considering to make a neck-thru V guitar

Also in addition to looking for a Limba/Korina substitute, I'm considering going with a normal fretboard/finger board like Rosewood or ebony, or Pau Ferro? Might go with Rosewood.

Comment

Korina is similar to mahogany.
      But neither of these are great for presence or articulation.....they are more soft lows and a bit midsy. Korina having a bit more 'upper midsy'. For what you want, go maple or ebony.

I'm not sure where you are from, or where you usually get wood. But being in Aus I find a lot of my unusual stuff is international import. I have found limba in thru-neck length on ebay before, but there is much more luck with real luthier suppliers. Gilmer Wood has been my more recent go-to for non usual size or species.

As to the fretboard, using rosewood will mean you have to get it locally. No international sales anymore essentially.

Comment

Additional....

You will need to make sure you have your bridge setup and fretboard height dialled. I'm not sure how flexible your bridge is with regard to height setup. Mine below has a TOM, which meant I needed to elevate the fretboard as there is no back neck angle. Mine was an ebony main blank which needed extra thickness for the body, and a scarf join for the headstock angle.
        Attached Files

Comment

Add the Lace Hammer Claws to your list if you're more into heavy rock than heavy metal. They'll do both but I have a set in my V that came factory and they're my favorite pickup for that sound out of nine guitars mostly wearing aftermarket pups.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            Korina is similar to mahogany.
            But neither of these are great for presence or articulation.....they are more soft lows and a bit midsy. Korina having a bit more 'upper midsy'. For what you want, go maple or ebony.

I'm not sure where you are from, or where you usually get wood. But being in Aus I find a lot of my unusual stuff is international import. I have found limba in thru-neck length on ebay before, but there is much more luck with real luthier suppliers. Gilmer Wood has been my more recent go-to for non usual size or species.

As to the fretboard, using rosewood will mean you have to get it locally. No international sales anymore essentially.
            I live in the USA. And I was thinking I might have to put a cap on it anyway. I was planning on bookmatching something. I live in a suburban city not to far from LA. If I have enough maple left I'll add that to the neck. As far as body wood, I wanted something that can get soft lows, but also articulate, so the bookmatched top I mentioned would be to compensate, but I'm fine finding a different wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
              Add the Lace Hammer Claws to your list if you're more into heavy rock than heavy metal. They'll do both but I have a set in my V that came factory and they're my favorite pickup for that sound out of nine guitars mostly wearing aftermarket pups.
              Thank you, pickups that can do both is more my style. I lean more heavy Rock, but I do like some heavy metal, typically softer metal, that is just barely to heavy to be considered Rock though. It's not that I don't like even heavier music, but rather it depends on style and melody. I'm barely getting into metalcore, which can be really heavy, but really refined as well, or at least the few songs I've heard. But entry level. Entry Level is as heavy as I can listen to though.

Still sounds awesome. I'll put my own control layout, but I'm now definitely considering them.

Comment

Additional....

You will need to make sure you have your bridge setup and fretboard height dialled. I'm not sure how flexible your bridge is with regard to height setup. Mine below has a TOM, which meant I needed to elevate the fretboard as there is no back neck angle. Mine was an ebony main blank which needed extra thickness for the body, and a scarf join for the headstock angle.
                Looks pretty sweet. I like the classic look with the neck-thru joinery/wings showing.

Comment

I've decided to use a padouck/maple 5pc. And I'm between Pau Ferro and ebony for the fret board. I'm considering something special for the top board that is mid to mid-bright as a tonewood.

I'm still considering Limba/Korina for the wings. Gilmer seems to be the best option for buying it right now. With padouck stringers this should even out.

Comment

Started making this a while back, Maple neck with Walnut stringers, Sapele wings - plan is for an Ash top and a custom made high output passive with an Alnico8 magnet

Click image for larger version

Name:	15282025_999707336800484_1297562354_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	5798259
                    https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

Originally posted by ChAoZ View Post
                      Started making this a while back, Maple neck with Walnut stringers, Sapele wings - plan is for an Ash top and a custom made high output passive with an Alnico8 magnet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79482[/ATTACH]
                      Looks pretty sweet. Ash is one of my favorite Bright toned body woods, should be interesting on the sapele. I couldn't find to much info on sapele though. I've heard it's totally similar to mahogany, but with a little extra bright tone as well as harder and denser. I'm hoping it'll be both Warm and clear. For acoustics it's supposed to be good for finger styles, but that's all from the same source: Breedlove. I'm hoping that will pass onto an electric if so I can use it in place of the Korina and it may be a better substitute.

Comment

The wings do very little on a neckthru. So don't stress.

You could always go poplar or basswood. Those are both common woods that are probably cheap and available.

If you put a cap on the front, you will have to rout the entire top of the guitar down by the amount that you add with the cap......thats what I did with mine to elevate the fretboard above the top. There is no room to move with a neckthrough unless the neck plane is on a backward angle.

Comment

The wings do very little on a neckthru. So don't stress.
                          I thought that at one point then i saw that guitar that has interchangeable wings and apparently the difference is noticeable

Comment

How do the wings become interchangable???

I think in that case that the method of attachment and also the quality of interface of the individual bits might become a factor here.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                              I thought that at one point then i saw that guitar that has interchangeable wings and apparently the difference is noticeable
                              Ogre Transwing guitar?

Last edited by RandomToneGuy; 04-07-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X