Some Commentary About Classic Guitar Tones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some Commentary About Classic Guitar Tones

The only way I'm able to recognize what equipment was used on a record is if I've had similar equipment in my hands and tried it in person.

Even then, there are some that can remain ambiguous. I learned through experience it is possible to make a Tele sound like a Strat or a Les Paul, to a surprising degree, in a produced record - enough that it's difficult to be sure. The trick is choosing amps, speakers and other outboard equipment that brings the two disparate guitars closer together in sound. Knowing what it takes to bring two different guitars closer together in sound is a part of how 'somebody' is always able to sound like themselves, no matter what guitar they pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      The only way I'm able to recognize what equipment was used on a record is if I've had similar equipment in my hands and tried it in person.

Even then, there are some that can remain ambiguous. I learned through experience it is possible to make a Tele sound like a Strat or a Les Paul, to a surprising degree, in a produced record - enough that it's difficult to be sure. The trick is choosing amps, speakers and other outboard equipment that brings the two disparate guitars closer together in sound. Knowing what it takes to bring two different guitars closer together in sound is a part of how 'somebody' is always able to sound like themselves, no matter what guitar they pick up.
      I think that is the key. I get bored if 'standard' Strat sounds are being used today in a song. I don't hear the personality of the player- unless you are in Dire Straits or a similar band that pioneered that sound. Blackmore used both a 335 and Strat for his famous recordings, but his personality is so strong, it transcends what he uses.
      I think, for me, as long as the guitar I am using works well, has light weight, and good balance, I will use it.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I believe that electric guitar tone can be described by this formula:

60% - Player's hands
        20% - Amp
        10% - Pickups
        10% - Construction of guitar (scale length, bolt-on vs. set neck, woods, etc.)

The player's hands percentage could probably be increased to 70 or even 80% for players with very unique styles. The famous example is Ted Nugent playing through Eddie Van Halen's rig and still not sounding like Eddie.

Pickups percentage could be increased in cases where the pickup is extremely high output (81, Invader, etc.).

But the gist is there. When I hear Robben Ford get essentially the same tones out of an SG as a Telecaster through the same rig, I know that what matters is not the SG or the Tele, but Robben Ford.

Comment

I don't know if I go with that particular ratio. What is a true artist to me is 90% intent, and 10% everything else. An artist uses whatever tools are around to realize his/her vision. But not every player is an artist, which, then your formula might be more accurate.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Its always hard with this ratio bit. Mainly as the style of playing can transcend any guitar/amp played through. Yet many players can also sound incredibly different with a switch of equipment despite a strong individual style.

So 'style' and 'tone' almost occupy parallel spheres

Comment

When I got my first real Gibson SG, it sounded more like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath than the Les Paul copy I had been using, probably due more to the Gibson pickups, and because I knew both used an SG.

My 2008 Charvel USA SoCal with the original DiMarzio humbuckers in it sounded closer to vintage Iron Maiden than my Jackson Dinky with Duncans.

My old MexiStrat with the stock pickups sounded closer to SRV and Hendrix and Trower than my USA LP Standard did.

A friend of mine played the solo to Diary of a Madman on my old bolt-on LP copy with the stock covered pickups through my BOSS SuperOD and MXR Dist+ into a 20w Gorilla amp and it sounded identical to the recorded tone coming through my stereo.

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

Working...
              X