banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender tremolo saddle : Upgrade worth it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender tremolo saddle : Upgrade worth it ?

Hello,

i have a Gotoh vintage fender style tremolo. The saddles are made of steel but i actually play like 8hours a day and they have a lot of bumps and scratches. In one week i used 3 sets of guitars strings... The A string always breaks at the saddle even after filing and sanding...

Would titanium saddles solve my problem ?

Re: Fender tremolo saddle : Upgrade worth it ?

Never tried them but TUSQ probably would. http://www.graphtech.com/products/br...ectric-saddles
    Or the Graphtech string savers.
    Last edited by Darg1911; 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
      Never tried them but TUSQ probably would. http://www.graphtech.com/products/br...ectric-saddles
      Or the Graphtech string savers.
      I wasn't a big fan of the String Savers, they took some of the snappiness out of my tone. Also, I noticed after about 2 months that the strings were starting to dig into the saddle material.

Comment

Originally posted by HotHead View Post
        I wasn't a big fan of the String Savers, they took some of the snappiness out of my tone. Also, I noticed after about 2 months that the strings were starting to dig into the saddle material.
        Interesting. Well, at least your strings didn't break at the saddle.
        I wonder how the TUSQ saddles would fare. The nuts seem to hold up fine.

Comment

You could try using some of the Big Bend's Nut Sauce on the saddles. You only need a micro-dab where the string crosses over. It helps keeps vibratos operating smoothly when used on the nut and saddles. Great product, I've had tremendous sucess with it and give my highest recommendation.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

you break the A ? don't think i've ever broken a wound string and i maul them with bends. i'd suspect if a wound string is breaking by the bridge maybe it's not the saddle but the edge of the slot in the saddle. just seems more likely that's capable of busting a wound string than the saddle. you could file the slot or get saddles with longer slots. you could also try a float on the high side to ease the break angle of the string. that'd help if it's the saddle but also if it's the slot.

Comment

Sounds like you've got something sharp caught in the saddles or something... Seems like they're cutting your strings into breakage.

Check each saddle and string slot to make sure there's nothing in there that's cutting up the string! Putting in some lubricant would help too.

You have the bent steel saddles right? You could try the block saddle version, I'm sure it fits just fine. Keep in mind that while the block saddles are a bit smoother to the strings, they do slightly change how your guitar sounds.

Titanium saddles will not solve your problem at all.

Comment

I always like the String Savers, and don't mind the tone change. I think you can compensate for it with the amp's tone controls. I don't break strings, and don't have a problem with wear, either.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X