Resonator Amplification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonator Amplification

I am wanting to beef up the resonator to play though an amp .

The SD acoustic mic/mag combo is a consideration with a slight mod to the resonator to accommodate the mount .

Click image for larger version

Name:	SD Acoustic and Electric PU.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	5843687

What are the other alternatives you guys use . I have it mic'd with a SM57 presently but want to move a little instead
    of being anchored to the 57 .

I have seen other's use the area just below the neck on the body where those 3 holes are as the place to make the mount
    , that's where I plan to mount the PU .

The SD PU I posted the pic of has a mic too and that's why I am interested in the combination of the two blended sound sources
    together for a full rich sound ( I hope ) .

EZ :

HR
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Re: Resonator Amplification

Is there room under a resonator for that acoustic pickup? On mine, the resonator cone takes up much of the body cavity. I think you would need a flat pickup like those pickguard jazz pickups, or else you'd have to drill into the wood area and mount a small single coil.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Is there room under a resonator for that acoustic pickup? On mine, the resonator cone takes up much of the body cavity. I think you would need a flat pickup like those pickguard jazz pickups, or else you'd have to drill into the wood area and mount a small single coil.
      Hello Beau - yeah I'm seeing a few ways to attack this .

I've seen many resonators with a pick up below the neck where those three small holes are
      located , everything from a humbucker , mini humbucker , to a single coil lipstick .

The SD acoustic mic/mag isn't that big as far as real state it takes to be accommodated on top between
      the resonator's top ( 12 O'clock ) outside edge and the bottom of the neck .

The vids I have heard/seen on youtube of the SD are really quite convincing , but you never know .

Don't mind sacrificing some of the resonator's top wood to mount it as you pointed out that's how
      many have done it .

It may also not work , but , it does appear doable .

National's thin line magnetic pu looks super easy to mount and sounds really good stand alone and an under
      the cone piezo mount all sound good .

I wan't the " Easiest One I can do myself that sounds really great .

I know the sound I get from my SM57 or large diaphragm condenser will never come out of any of the one's I mentioned ,
      but one that is close will do if I can mount it myself for live performing .

Thanks for the input man .

HR
      It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

I have a Washburn reso with a Telecaster type pickup behind the neck that doesn't sound very resonator like at all. Installed a K&K Pure Resonator transducer type and it sounds very natural. This is the spider cone and the install is a little touchy as the cone has to be removed and the transducer disk attaches to the adjusting screw under the cone. By touchy I mean the aluminum cone is very thin and easy to bend. The instructions are very good but I don't have the steadiest of hands anymore but pulled it off without a hitch.
        Last edited by JimInMO; 04-13-2017, 07:00 AM.

Comment

I spent an afternoon with a friend, some beers and an angle grinder. My reso now has a paf in it where the Due to the shape of the axe, installed the pup so that the screws line up with the 24th fret (just like on any other electric) but the slug side sits closer to the neck rather than the bridge as usual.Plug it into my twin (or any other amp) and it sounds boss.
          Does it sound like a pristine acoustic tone of a reso? No. Sounds great though. Even used it to record with through an amp for that fat sound with a touch of tube grind and some spring reverb. Love it. Did one recording where i had a condenser on the guitar and some mics on my amp in the next room.
          Maybe not the best for the purist, but i really dig it.
          Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-13-2017, 07:24 AM.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by JimInMO View Post
            I have a Washburn reso with a Telecaster type pickup behind the neck that doesn't sound very resonator like at all. Installed a K&K Pure Resonator transducer type and it sounds very natural. This is the spider cone and the install is a little touchy as the cone has to be removed and the transducer disk attaches to the adjusting screw under the cone. By touchy I mean the aluminum cone is very thin and easy to bend. The instructions are very good but I don't have the steadiest of hands anymore but pulled it off without a hitch.
            That transducer was among those I viewed on youtube , sounded quite real as far as the nuances and stuff a mag doesn't produce as well .

Thanks for the input .

HR

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              I spent an afternoon with a friend, some beers and an angle grinder. My reso now has a paf in it where the Due to the shape of the axe, installed the pup so that the screws line up with the 24th fret (just like on any other electric) but the slug side sits closer to the neck rather than the bridge as usual.Plug it into my twin (or any other amp) and it sounds boss.
              Does it sound like a pristine acoustic tone of a reso? No. Sounds great though. Even used it to record with through an amp for that fat sound with a touch of tube grind and some spring reverb. Love it. Did one recording where i had a condenser on the guitar and some mics on my amp in the next room.
              Maybe not the best for the purist, but i really dig it.
              Pics ?

Comment

i put an antiquity firebird pup near the neck on a buddies duolian and it sounds awesome! loses a little of the reso flavor but you can still tell what it is. sounds beautiful clean and just raunchy in the best way with some dirt

Comment

Most of the Dobro players I know either use the K&K Resonator pickup, or the Fishman resonator pickup.

That being said, I think a resonator with magnetic pickup in the neck run through a tube amp is a killer sound. If I had a resonator, I'd want it to have both setups.
                  Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane View Post
                    Pics ?
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

wow - It's quite beautiful .

Comment

Working...
                      X