NY XL D'Addario Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NY XL D'Addario Strings

I tried them. Liked them at first, but after a couple weeks I found there was something off that kept nagging me. I wound up messing with my tone controls, pickup heights, etc. Eventually, I realized it was the strings. They're brighter than what I'm used to and seemed to exaggerate the scoop of my pickups (PAF types).

I normally use EB. Prefer the duller, less bright sound they produce.
    Last edited by some_dude; 05-01-2017, 08:11 PM.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

They are not *quite* as vibrant/response/toneful as my beloved GHS Boomers. However - overall ability to last makes them worth it IMO for most playing. I like them.

I had a tech put them on a Floyded Strat and they were there for a year, and stayed in great shape. I didn't think about until I finally broke one that they had been on there that long and held up and sounded good.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I find that their eq does have to be adjusted to but that they are less harsh than normal XLs and ekspecially prosteels. I notice more bass and higher detail without being harsh.

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
        Feel - I'm surprised people don't talk about this more. The strings are very slinky, even slinkier than Ernie Ball Slinkies. This isn't necessarily a good thing. The feel was almost rubbery to me, especially with string bends. I prefer strings not to feel so loosey-goosey.
        Build a properly balanced set for your headstock.

If you guys are put off by the slinkiness, I recommend all XLs with NYXL 4th and 5th strings! Makes a great set! Less money, I think the plain steel XLs are a hair crisper, the epic tone of the NYXLs in the meat of the set, and then the well defined XL 6th string.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 05-01-2017, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
          The NYXLs are really good strings, just not for me.

Longevity - yes. In my experience, about 2x run-of-the-mill nickel-plated sets (Slinkies, Boomers, XL, etc.). But not worth the 3x price.
          Tuning stability - yes, but not that big an advantage over other string kinds b/c tuning stability depends on so many other variables (properly cut nut, good saddles, etc.).
          Tone - Definitely louder. Not necessarily a good thing for me. I noticed a pretty big upper midrange increase, which could make some bridge single coils harsh. The strings could be a way to wake up guitars with flat/muddy pickups, though.
          Feel - I'm surprised people don't talk about this more. The strings are very slinky, even slinkier than Ernie Ball Slinkies. This isn't necessarily a good thing. The feel was almost rubbery to me, especially with string bends. I prefer strings not to feel so loosey-goosey.

I wish I liked NYXLs more, as on paper they seem to address many players' concerns. But my ears and fingers just aren't that happy when I'm playing them.

I do like the fact that the past 3 years have brought a new class of extra-strong string (NYXL, M-Steel, Paradigm) out on the market.
          I agree with this almost completely, except that for me their tone was a bit too flat, Curt Mangans I'm now using have distinctively more chime. I think that's what you have to trade for longetivity and smoothness NYXL have.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I've used D'Addario XLs on hot festival stage and under hot TV lights, too. I never have a problem with tuning, and they are cheap enough to keep them fresh. I wonder if NYXLs would be significantly different.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've opened up a few packs of XL's in recent months to find that the high e string had a crimp in it. Not really a big deal for me because I had a few extra packs, but I'm wondering how/when it could have happened.

Comment

Just put the first set of NYXLs on my Charvel Koa. I can't quite decide what I think of them just yet.

My standard set for every guitar is S.I.T. 10-46. They don't seem to get much internetz glory, but I love them and they are $3.xx per set in bulk. They have everything----brightness, tuning stability, tone, feel. So when I use something different, it is simply to see if I can find strings that have serious mojo on a certain guitar------just like certain pickups. I absolutely love the bright, full tone of DR Tite Fits, but I had to stop using them due to intonation problems and went to S.I.T. My top priorities for strings are:

1. Responsive, dynamic, bright tone
                2. STABILITY
                3. Feel

Longevity is a plus, but means squat to me if I don't have 1-3 first. Hence, no coated strings for me even though I am lazy. When my strings start to go off, I just swap guitars.

Normally, playing a brand new set of strings on a guitar is like opening your presents as a kid on Christmas morning to me. They are so bright and powerful and responsive, every note sounds awesome. I can't say that I felt that with the NYXLs. I guess I like have differing tension as you'd expect from strings of different sizes, and NYXLs could be a little brighter. I like strings that really BITE in the upper register when you are going for it. It sounded like they were already broken in, and the "new string zing" was already gone, although they did sound very good and quickly became stable. I had intended to automatically put NYXLs on my co-#1 Charvel 650 today, but I am going to hold off for now....
                Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                Marshall JVM410H
                Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Originally posted by MkIII Renegade View Post
                  Normally, playing a brand new set of strings on a guitar is like opening your presents as a kid on Christmas morning to me. They are so bright and powerful and responsive, every note sounds awesome. I can't say that I felt that with the NYXLs. I guess I like have differing tension as you'd expect from strings of different sizes, and NYXLs could be a little brighter. I like strings that really BITE in the upper register when you are going for it. It sounded like they were already broken in, and the "new string zing" was already gone, although they did sound very good and quickly became stable.
                  That's how they are. They don't need to be broken in pretty much at all. I thought that to be one of the best things with those strings, as that new string "zing" is annoying. I want my strings to sound the same all the time.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                    That's how they are. They don't need to be broken in pretty much at all. I thought that to be one of the best things with those strings, as that new string "zing" is annoying. I want my strings to sound the same all the time.
                    I miss that honeymoon stage. I always have fun playing brand new strings and wouldn't mind the sound staying like that as long as tuning stability arrived. I'll often do important recordings as soon as the strings become stable.
                    Marshall JVM410H
                    Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster

Comment

Frist of all: i liked that set of NYXL i put on my LP.
                      I loved that brocken in feel with these strings. With the Dunlop and the D'Addarios XLs i used to change only the wound strings to fight the zing until they the high strings did not hold the tuning anymore.
                      This is not necessary with the NYs. Only drawback they cost more than twice...
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by MkIII Renegade View Post
                        I miss that honeymoon stage. I always have fun playing brand new strings and wouldn't mind the sound staying like that as long as tuning stability arrived. I'll often do important recordings as soon as the strings become stable.
                        It certainly is a distinctive tone. Have you tried SS strings? I don't have much personal experience (once tried in a shop with low volume), but I would think them to be brighter that way.

Comment

It certainly is a distinctive tone. Have you tried SS strings? I don't have much personal experience (once tried in a shop with low volume), but I would think them to be brighter that way.
                          Yep, I tried Dean Markley Blue Steels ages ago, and one other brand, although I don't remember which it was. Seemed like SS was overkill bright to me; lost warmth.

I have standard XLs on one of my YJM Strats, and they seem intensely bright in a good way, although that guitar has a brass nut, which probably brings it out more. XLs were my first "standard" set as a kid, but someone at a music store convinced me to try DR Tite Fits, which have a stunning sound (immediate wow factor---like turbocharging your guitar), but haven't always be ideal regarding intonation in my experience. The NYXLs don't seem bright at all to me although they are definitely slinky, which I like, and seem to stay in tune, which I demand.......
                          Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Dean Markley Blue Steel are not stainless steel wrap wire. They are cryogenically treated nickel plated steel.
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H
                              I'd like to try them, but only if they last long enough to justify the cost vs regular XLs.
                              Was one of the folk here who got in as a beta tester on those. Loved them to a point as they did take a little longer to set and stabilize than normal. Once they did they felt good sounded good and held tune extremely well. Would be using them now but for the cost. I have so many guitars and play out so often can not justify the added cost vs the regular XL's I have been using for years. If i only had one or 2 guitars could and would be running them.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Yes SS strings are a little brighter. The real downside is however is because they are so hard they are extremely hard on your frets. If you play out a lot like I do it's an absolute killer for your guitars!!
                                Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X