banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm such an irresponsible idiot. (Happy NGD!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm such an irresponsible idiot. (Happy NGD!)

Well... I went to pick up some strings and left the shop with a guitar and some strings.
    I guess that happens?

I'll be putting my Jackson for sale tonight, after taking the Duncans off and setting it up a bit. No ifs about it. It has to be done.

And since teasing is the norm these days, I'll give that a go :
    (excuse the crappy picture but my cellphone is useless as a camera, and so am I as a photographer)
    EDIT: I uploaded the picture twice by mistake, once flipped. It actually looks a bit Warhol-esque, right? I like it :P
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Diego; 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: I'm such an irresponsible idiot. (Happy NGD!)

Looks nice , but PLEASE at least tell me it doesn't have Jenna Jamesons Graphic on it.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Cool.... EPI 335?

Comment

Almost.

It's a Epi Dot 339 Pro!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170512_182102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	5800310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170512_182125.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	5800311

Saw it at the store and I just couldn't pass it up.
        I don't know what pickups are these to be honest (EDIT: These are Alnico Classic Pro, the poor man's '57 Classic according to Gibson) but split they sound gorgeous and in humbucking mode they do that 335 bark I'm crazy about.
        They're lower output than the Probuckers in my LP, which are PAF-based and Alnico 2, so these are whisper quiet pickups, really.
        But they're good enough to begin with.

It's very easy to play, my lightest guitar, the neck comes very straight with little buzz and the frets are actually better than my Les Paul.
        Just took the strings down a bit from the bridge, balanced the pickup height and that was it.
        The strings are so new I'll keep them for a while, but I really wanna put some 11s on this sucker and let it sing.

Holy **** I'm loving my life right now.

EDIT: I also tried a Wildkat!

I just LOVED the sparkly gold binding, the Bigsby trem and the playability, but the P90 pickups on that thing were crazy dull.
        Even with strings that felt fresh, I couldn't get it to open up.

Tried it side by side with my 339 and there was no contest. Fatter in humbucking mode, and way crisper and livelier when split.
        Last edited by Diego; 05-12-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Wait'll ya get a chance to crank that bad girl and feel the air moving out the F- holes and the rich harmonic feedback! Noice!
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Hells yeah! Everyone needs some sort of 33X, nice score!

Comment

Oh yeah
              I looked at those when I was shopping for my florentine

Love the red
              I wanted red
              I still.want red

Beauty
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Very cool, congrats!

Weight and semi-hollow construction aside, how does the 339 compare to your Les Paul in terms of how it sits against your body and picking arm? Is one's body thicker than the other?

Comment

If you want I can try and find you a Jenna Jameson Decal for it.

Comment

^ God no, we don't want another 9 page Seinfeld-esque thread about nothing.

Comment

OK, Diego hasn't shown us the whole guitar yet, but judging from waht I've seen so far, I'm guessing a Tele Thinline? Oh never mind, I just saw he said it was a 339.
                      Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-12-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                        If you want I can try and find you a Jenna Jameson Decal for it.
                        Make it Scarlett Johansson and I'll still won't use that ****ing decal, not even on my Jackson Kelly!

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
                        Very cool, congrats!

Weight and semi-hollow construction aside, how does the 339 compare to your Les Paul in terms of how it sits against your body and picking arm? Is one's body thicker than the other?
                        Thanks! That's a good question.

The body of the 339 is just a bit thinner than my Les Paul.
                        And as a reference, my LP is a bit fatter than a friend's 2007 Epi LP Standard, but nowhere near as thick as a Gibson '58 LP Historic Reissue I once tried.
                        Playing the 339 is way easier. The top has a slight curvature that allows your forearm to reach things a bit more easily, while in the LP your forearm has to fight the body a bit to get where it's supposed to be.

Soundwise they're so different.
                        The 339 has a clear top-end and the wide bass response reminds me of a piano or something. The mids are pure 335 magic and that's where it shines. It has this throaty sound that just kills me every time.
                        Check out Deep Purple's "Anthem" guitar solo as a reference. Ritchie Blackmore still used 335s when they recorded that.

The LP in the other hand sounds darker, the high mids have way more bite and crunch, and the bass response is just as big, but tighter and punchy. It sounds massive.
                        Last edited by Diego; 05-12-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

That is gorgeous! They take to dirt so well and sound angelic clean. Play it in good health Diego, it is a great guitar.

Comment

I know you're gonna love that guitar more and more. The honeymoon phase doesn't wear off with 335's and 339's, which are Gibson/Epiphone's best creation in decades.

I always recommend leaving everything stock long enough to know what you'd change, if anything. If or when you do, gut all the electronics, and install Gibson spec.
                            Since changing pickups is harder in semi hollows, it's a good time to upgrade all the pots and switch. For now, just enjoy the beauty of playing a light resonant semi hollow.

And yeah, recoup some of the money by punting the Jackson.
                            Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-12-2017, 06:58 PM.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Very cool. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X